+ Reply to Thread

Default Should I continue on minoxidil? This is my story, please take a look (with images)

Hi guys, I am 23 years old (I'm about to turn 24, wow!!) and I have been worried lately about my hair. I always thought it was normal for us to have hair falling everyday, but I have never been able to notice it as I always kept my hair in a short length (no more below my eyebrows), but I've never cut it very very short either. So, it's been one year since I decided to stop having my hair cut and not if I stretch my front hair it can easily get to my mouth, but it is a little bit curly and very dry so it just normaly get only up to my eyes.

Here is where my concern starts. Since I've let my hair to grow, I started to notice that I do have some hair fallings daily, but not that much. Everytime I roll my hand on my hair I can find one or two hairs, and while I comb it I can find few hairs on the comb (not in a quantity to worry that much, no more than ten).

I wash my hair two times a week, but now everytime I wash it I can see a concerning amount of hair on my hand, maybe around 15/20, most of them are long, BUT on my pillow and bedroom floor I can find small hairs all around, maybe 10/20 Idk for sure and it gets me paranoid to be counting how many hairs I am losing, it is not healthy. I know that long hairs to fall is okay, but small hairs is what worry me that much as they are not supossed to as they're not on their endlife cycle.

Anyway, continuing with my story, my male family members they all have alopecia probably, but they are not bald. My grandfathers from both sides still have hair (although it is not that much) so they're not NW6/7/8. All my uncles they have sort of a M shape on their head, besides two of them, which one is not much bald and the other is bald on the pot of his head.

I went to a dermatologist last week and the doctor told me I was in the beginning stage of alopecia (although she didn't examine it effortly, just took a fast look and told me that, and she prescribed me Minoxidil. I have been reading a lot on the forum and other sources about many treatments and I am asking myself if I should really use minoxidil, if so, how to use it. I am worried about shedding as my hair is very dense (as you can see in the pics), only the crown that it has visibly less hair (but as I remember I've been always like this, not shure about the "hole" though). Anyway, she also asked for some exams such as blood exams as well, but I am coming back to her this week to ask for more specific exams on my head and skin because I really want to know if I have alopecia, if so, the specific kind of it so I can better treat it.

I am applying minoxidil once a day (before sleep) only on my temples and a little bit on my crown, I am trying to avoid the parts where I do have a good quantity of hair. I am still worried of applying it to the crown, but this visible crown is making me so anxious about losing hair that I think it can't get worst and if it does probably I will have a hole with no hair on my crown, which I believe minoxidil won't be capable of causing it.

What is your opinion about it, guys? I really need help, I have been through a lot of paranoia and anxiety due to this, should I continue on minoxidil on temples and crown?

(Please, don't ask me to have my hair cut, I reallly don't want it, I like it long, and also don't ask me to try propecia, I have seen lots of people who got their case and density worsened without coming back with Propecia, so I'd rather try exams and wait some months before trying this method, I don't want to mess up with the hair I still have - which is considerably big yet -)

Here are the pics I took, I am sorry about the quality, I don't have a professional camera nor a good cell phone, this was all I could get. And sorry if my English is not intelligible enoough, I am not an English native speaker.

https://imgur.com/a/hp808rl