+ Reply to Thread

playsound Reasons why I chose to move up to Dutasteride from Finasteride | Video

Hi guys,

Of late I've received a number of emails regarding the reasons behind why i chose to 'up the juice' from finasteride to dutasterdie so thought id do a quick video to help summarise. Its personal choice but as mentioned in the video consider options and don't rush in to any treatment without your own research and understanding. Im NOT a GP and only giving my personal opinion as a patient and user of the treatment.

>>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vc0ALruaCc <<<<

See previous topic here too I made a while ago now too :

Spex Upping From Finasteride to Dutasteride

Also here's a good summary article i found on the two medications.

=========

Finasteride and dutasteride are two of the most widely known and frequently used 5α-reductase inhibitors available today.

Both drugs are designed to inhibit the conversion of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone -- the androgen that causes male pattern baldness. While finasteride and dutasteride share a few key benefits, they’re both unique drugs with slightly different purposes and effects.*In this guide, we’ll compare finasteride and dutasteride as hair loss treatments and look at the main differences between the two drugs.*Of the two options, finasteride is more extensively studied*Between finasteride and dutasteride, finasteride is the older drug. Finasteride was developed in the 1970s and received FDA approval as a treatment for benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH, or prostate enlargement) in 1992.

Finasteride was eventually approved for use as a male pattern baldness treatment in 1997, at a lower dose (1mg vs 5mg) than the higher-dosed BPH treatment version of finasteride.Dutasteride, on the other hand, was only patented in 1996 and became approved by the FDA as a treatment for BPH in 2001.

Because finasteride is the older of the two 5α-reductase inhibitors, it’s been studied in a greater level of detail than dutasteride. Finasteride’s effectiveness, side effects and long-term effects are all better known than those of dutasteride, for which scientific data isn’t always available.This isn’t to say that dutasteride hasn’t been researched extensively, but just that its side effects and long-term effects haven’t been as extensively studied as those of finasteride.*Finasteride is an FDA approved hair loss treatment, while dutasteride isn’t.*Although dutasteride is approved as a treatment for male pattern baldness in some countries, it still hasn’t received FDA approval as a hair loss drug in the United States.

Dutasteride is approved by the FDA, but only as a treatment for BPH. This means that it’s gone through the FDA rigorous testing*but only as a drug marketed with the intended purpose of combating prostate enlargement.This doesn’t mean that dutasteride isn’t effective at preventing hair loss (we’ll cover this subject further down the page). Dutasteride does prevent hair loss, but it can only be prescribed for this purpose as an off-label treatment option.

Finasteride blocks 70% of DHT, whereas dutasteride blocks 90+%

Which is better for preventing hair loss?

Finasteride and dutasteride are two different drugs with similar effects. Both prevent hair loss by preventing the conversion of testosterone to DHT. Both are proven to work. Both have rare side effects that, for most users, are tolerable.

Both drugs also have specific advantages. Finasteride is the older of the two drugs and has far more scientific data about its effectiveness, safety and long-term effects. Because dutasteride is newer, there’s far less data about its long-term effectiveness.*Because dutasteride isn’t FDA approved for hair loss, we still think finasteride is the better male pattern baldness treatment, if only because of the wealth of data about its long-term safety and effectiveness.

Still, the future looks bright for dutasteride, and once more data is available it could eventually become the leading treatment option for male pattern baldness.

=====

Regards

SPEX
    Last edited by Spex; 09-02-2018 at 05:52 AM.
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Hi, I am 20 year user of brand propecia, and have seen a loss in effectiveness over the last 4 years. Has anyone had the same experience? If so, has anyone increased dosage with success. I am currently on 1mg, and am considering adding an additional Finasteride.

I have also been trying rogaine for several months and have not seen good results. I have been using only 1x per day

Is it ok to mix brand and genetic Finasteride

What do you think? Thanks

Hi there,
    You've been on propecia since you were 16 ??
    Regards
    SPEX
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

No, I was 24 when I began.

Hi Spex, I believe you mentioned that you have been using dutasteride for a while. How’s it going? I have been thinking about introducing 0.5 dutasteride once per week and continuing with finastetide the rest of the week. I am concerned about going all in on dutasteride. Can I trouble you for your opinion? Thanks