Closed Thread

Default Horrible experience - Hair transplant disaster - Dr. Emrah Cinik, Turkey

Hello dear forum members. I'm new here. I'am here just to share my story. For long months I strugled with myself If I should make this public or not. I was very depressed when I was writing this summary. For several months I was not able to publish it. But I know that I should do it because of other people. PLEASE AVOID Emrah Cinik. DON'T DO THE SAME MISTAKE as I did.

Please read carefully if you are considering HT in turkey. There will be probably 90% of similar or oven worse clinics. BE CAREFUL!

Initially I was considering more expensive and better clinics, but after reading lots of positive reviews on Cinik on realself and other forums I decided to have a hair transplant with him. I should have realized that those positive five star reviews were fakes.I should have researched more and not believe to the idea, that he is an ethical doctor, when he is listed at ISHRS.

My biggest fail was that I was NOT EDUCATED properly. I didn't realize the risk of having HT in a hairmill. At the beginning I didn't even know that Cinik's clinic is a hair mill. When I asked to them how many patients they do daily, they stated, that they have 5 patients a day. I also knew that they have 2 shift schedule. They do patients in the morning and than in the afternoon. I asked them, if they split those 5 patients into those 2 shifts and they replied misleadingly again, that they do 5 patients DAILY. They lied to me. Later I realized that Dr. Cinik has between 10-14 patients daily. They also promised me in their emails, that Dr. Cinik works with help of 2 technicians and that Dr. always do channel opening. This was also lie.

Regarding to advertising strategy of his clinic - Dr. Cinik obviously pays his assistants and coworkers for writing fake positive reviews. If you go through the reviews and read them carefully. You can notice it and distinquish what is fake. Unfortunately when I did my poor research, I somehow ignored it. I was overwhelmed by the fact, that this Dr. doesn't have any negative review at all. It was a very bad mistake. Cinik didn't have negative reviews because his clinic is new. His own clinic exists maybe 2 years. The place where he worked before as a co-director is called COSMEDICA. This clinic as bad as Cinik's clinic. COSMEDICA's results are horrible. Cinik just created his own clinic apart from cosmedica and for a few years he is goldmining on poor boys going in.

Regarding to the fake reviews - I thought - “How can they be fakes, where would they take photos of the guys”. Later I realized that they have a large database of photos that their patients send to them. Because after the operation you are asked to send them your photos regularly.

Still I can't believe myself why I was not cautious at all. Shortly after my surgery, someone wrote a very concerning negative TRUE review on Cinik's realself profile reflecting reality of this clinic. If I waited longer. I would have been able to read It. It would same my life. Sadly, I was not so lucky.
    Now I understand why people hit by a bad surgeon sometimes don't write negative reviews. If you get really cracked by horrible HT. You are not able to live at all. All days after the HT are miserable and the last thing you want to do is writing a review.

I hope that It's a good idea to share my experience. But I realize that there will also probably be some of Cinik's AGENTS, ready to insult me. The same people who are writing fake reviews will probably bully me here soon..

So here is my story:
    -------------------------------------
    I arrived to the hotel, everything was fine. Hotel and transportation were ok. The evening I came to Iistanbul, I met another guy, who was also going to Dr. Cinik. We had meal at the hotel. We saw another two guys coming to the hotel restaurant. They were right after HT, their heads were bandaged. Unfortunately I didn't talk to them. Only my colleague who had surgery the next day with me, said hello to them. We should have asked them how it was but we didn't.

The next day morning at 6:30, they took me and other two guys to the hospital. Everything was so quick. A lot of RUSHING. I should have stop for a moment and ask myself if this is ok. I didn't stop. They drew my blood. Than they gave me informed consent form. I signed it, even though, that I saw something strange in described side effects of hair transplant - there was written that "hair transplant can cause depression". Why? I asked to myself? Later I tasted what it was.. Yes - botched hair transplant can cause depression..

I came to Dr. Cinik's room. He was very brief. I asked him something about the surgery and he seemd like not listening. He was rushing. He was like a robot speaking basic phrases, that he does every day for many years. He approached me with his marker, said "cheeks up", drew hairline and asked me to check it. I said I'm not sure, I need to see it from many angles. He had only one hand mirror in the room. He didn't even had 2 mirrors or tablet to take a photo. I checked hairline in the mirror and thought, that it's ok. He rushed me to the surgery like he had no time. The consultation took 5 minutes, not more. I should have stopped here. It was life changing decision. I didn't stop. Big fail for me.

The technician who did the blood test took me to the elevator. I asked him how many patients they have today. He replied that 6. 3 now and another three later. I thought it's ok. I thought that me and the two other guys will be done in the morning and another 3 in the afternoon. That turned to be wrong later. In fact the other 3 guys had surgery from 7:30. And then another group at 14:30 and next group at 15:30. Horrible. I didn't know it. I would have never go there if I knew the truth.

I haven't seen any information on the door, that this is Dr. Cinik's department in the hospital. All doors were blank, later I realized that It was weird. When I came to the place where surgeries are performed, it was a small hall with gauge. I saw the young guy - the one of our group. He was not older than 23 years I would say. He had hairline drawn very low. I wanted to tell him, that this is NOT WISE for the future. But the nurses quickly took him to the surgery and I never had chance to talk to him. This was a red flag. ISHRS doctor should refuse this type of surgeries. This is NOT ETHICAL.
    I went to the office where Cinik's assistant was sitting by the computer. Her name was Sera. She asked me for MONEY. I knew that they want money BEFORE an operation. But I didn't know why. I experienced it immediately. When I came out of the office a technician came for me. He was rushing. Again. He took me to a very SMALL ROOM. The room had mazbe 2x3 meters. Without windows. In the middle of this room was a lounger. Around it there were 2 metal carts with equipment for the surgery. Immediately I wanted to run away. I was amazed - how can they do surgery here. It's insane I thought. But the trap was that I have already paid. Now I know that I shoud have run away without thinking. Now I would let the money to them and never had the surgery. But I continued..

The technician shaved my head in a small corner of the entrance hall. Then he asked me if I had breakfast. I said yes. He said, that's good, because othervise I would maybe faint during the anesthesia. Noone warned me about this risk before. Later I realised that local anestesia can be dangerous when you are hungry because they use adrenaline as one of the substances. Dosage of adrenaline together with low blood sugar can make you shiver, feel dizzy, vomit etc. So the technician continued with rushing, preparing my anesthesia opening ampoules. He threw empty ampoules into the bin. He opened the bin and it was FULL of rubbish from the previous operation. I was scared, I should have run away. But - I have already paid. That stopped me.. They are smart, when they let you pay BEFORE the operation.

The technician injected anesthesia multiple times to my head, asked if it is numb and then one nurse came in to do the extraction. I said hello to her, she talked something turkish. Then she said "I no speak english". I was laying with my face down. I remember her weird t-shirt with colorful monkeys crazy laughing at me. This was the worst part of the surgery, because i realized that something is very wrong and that there is no way back.

The extraction started. She was doing it TOO FAST. She was rushing. She did maybe 3 punches per second. I was shocked. Now it was too late to run away. Right half of my donor area was already destroyed. I asked them how many grafts they already have. The technician replied "WE DON'T COUNT IT". Since then I felt like cattle in a slaughterhouse. I tried to count the punches myself, but, it was so fast, so I got lost with my counting.

After graft extraction I asked the technician if the doctor is going to do the channel opening now. He replied “Hmm, sometimes yes but sometimes not”. I was amazed. That looked like breaking the deal. Moreover I wanted to go to the toilet, I told them many times. They were rushing so quickly, so that they almost ignored me. Eventually they let me. Immediately after I returned back. They gave me a drip to the wein and started to inject the recipient area. It was painful, yes, but more painful was knowing that I’m in a slaughterhouse now. With no way back. I asked them what is in the drip, what fluid will now flow into my veins. They replied “pain killers”. I said why? No reply.

Eventually Dr. Cinik came in. I asked him, what is the plastic pack with the fluid, he replied - “its antibiotics”. Weird, but. I said ok. Dr. started with channel opening and then went away. I didn’t see him again that day. He didn’t even came for a checkup at the end.

The longest part of the surgery was graft planting. It was painful because of uncomfortable positions. I had to be bent in weird directions. Two technicians continued graft planting. I asked them “how many grafts you already implanted”. They didn’t reply. I asked again. They said “PSSST” to make me silent. That was really ugly. They were using cell phones during the surgery. People were comming in and out. They were chatting and laughing.. I felt cold. I told them many times. Eventually I resigned completly and waited for the end in AGONY, praying to survive.

When they planted grafts into the front hairline, I wondered if anyone divided grafts to singles, doubles etc. I didn’t see anybody. This is standard process and I expected they will do it too. But they Didn’t. I asked - “do you plant single hair grafts into the front”. He replied “Yes”. That was LIE. In fact they’ve put the worst plugs they had right into the front. Now I have tons of plugs with 5 hair growing from one place in hairline.

When planting ended I was asked to sit down, technician took his smartphone and took a photo. I was not able to fight.. Then one nurse came into the door, laughed and talked loudly something turkish with mixture of english words “vomit”. Maybe she had a cheerful story about another patient. I was putting my shoes on, suddenly she went off and the door closed. It almost HIT ME TO HEAD.

The last straw was when I came to the office. They gave me paper where was written that I had 3600 grafts. I said wait, I should have 3000, why they did 3600? She took the paper back to the office and changed the number to 3200. I was shocked. The original plan was to do 3000 grafts, and not more!
    The next day I had checkup with the doctor. There were maybe 15 people. I came to the doctors room, he was again like a robot. He said “No alcohol. No sports. No smoke”. I wanted to ask him questions about the operation. He didn’t listen. He didn’t even came to me to check me at all. He was looking at me from distance of 3 meters and then he shaked my hand and that was all. I was shocked again. He doesn’t care about RESULTS. He had already money and that was his win.

Later I realised that the only reason for a "checkup" by doctor was a chance for his assistance to advertise and sell "Cinik's products" - shampoos, vitamins and finasteride.

When I came home. I RECONSTRUCTED numbers of grafts from the photos. I took graphic editor and painted dots into the photos I’ve taken. I was able to count 3300 dots in donor area and only 2800 grafts in recipient area. That means minimally 500 grafts were transected, destroyed. That is a catastrophe 15% transection rate minimum.

RESULTS:
    Please see the pictures 2 and 8 days post-op and 4 months post-op.
    - Donor area has a strongly noticable pattern has gaps. Band overharvested on the edges. They told me, they used 0.7mm punch. But I can't believe it
    - Hairline is unbelievably pluggy.
    - Hair growing in wrong directions - even if channels were opened by doctor.
    - Grafts placed in rows regularly
    - Angle of the temples is weird, unnatural.
    This result is something I never expected even in my worst dreams.
    - I can't wear short hair because the extraction pattern is extremly visible. I must have 2 cm long hair to cover the disaster.

I'm no longer using email to contact the clinic because whenever I wanted to know something, that they didn't want to respond, they simply ignored me.

QUESTIONS I would like to be replied by doctor personally, but I don't believe, that he would reply to all of them. I've read on realself that they ignore patients who are not satisfied with their work.

Dear doctor.....
    1. Why your assistents lie about number of people your clinic do daily? Why they say, that you have 5 patients daily if that isn't true? You do 5 people per shift minimum and you have 2 shifts. I saw all these people at the hotel personally!
    2. Why do you create straight pluggy hairlines?
    3. Why your nurses overharvest donor areas?
    4. Why do you create so unnatural temples with wrong angles of hair and multiple hair grafts?
    5. My recipient area contains only ~2800 grafts. Where is the rest to the 3200 (or 3600 ?) grafts that you declared in the paper your assistents gave me after the surgery? I am somehow missing 400 or 800 grafts. Where are they?
    6. Why they harvested more then 3000 grafts which was the original plan?
    7. Why does your technicians don't have medical education? The one who was present at my surgery told me that he's a biologist and have no medical education.
    8. Why technicians use cell phones during surgery?
    9. Why do you distribute preoperational information, that finasteride should be used 3 days after operation? Isn't it because you want to sell it to the patients? Finasteride, (If it is prescribed) should been used earlier!
    10. Why does the preoperational information contains lies? For example "FUE DOESN'T CREATE SCARS".
    11. Why don't you do a proper preoperational examination? Why only blood test? What if someone has a heart disease and don't know it? Why don't you do EKG before the operation?
    12. Why do you decieve patients with a "guarentee certificate"? You must know It's a toilet paper. How can you do repair of failed hair transplant when the patient has depleted donor area?
    13. Why do you create rows of grafts. It looks unnatural!
    14. Why there are huderds of FAKE REVIEWS over the internet? Almst all of them show good photos. Nice donor areas, soft hairlines? Why? I see only overharvested, pluggy results. I'm in contact wit other 3 guys from that day and they all look pluggy and are overharvested. Noone can wear short hair.

There are some pictures from 0 to 4 month.
    PDF document with pictures

Dear members of this forum. Hair transplant is NOT FUN. It can easily damage your life.
    This was a very sad lesson for me. i realized how fragile my life really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam01 View Post
    Sorry to hear about it bro, i hope you can still consult a good trnasplant doctor about the wrongly directed grafts and maybe a surgery to get them to the right direction? I’m still not much educated about HT, but still i think thats the final hope?
    Wishing you good luck for future.
    Yes I would like to find any good doctor to fix what is possible. I hope that some could help me a. But I must admit that thinking amout my HT is very exhausting for me now and I am very scared of the next surgeries. I must get myself strong and ask for professional help any good doctor.

I'm really sorry for your experience. The idea of a production line clinic is mortifying for me, which is why I made my expose' on such clinics in 2015.

I think it needs to be mentioned that your mentioning of Dr. Cinik's membership in the ISHRS doesn't mean anything, and it was never meant to. The ISHRS is an educational body only, not a validation of quality and their motto is "Education, research, collegiality". That's it. I made a video about this in my Hair Transplant Class series on my Youtube channel.

To summarize how you get into the ISHRS, you need only have two letters of recommendation, with only one letter being from an existing member, have attended at least two ISHRS meetings and/or workshops or one meeting and be a member of the ABHRS, which is a society to help establish basic education with an exam.

Last edited by JoeTillman; 09-02-2018 at 12:30 PM.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Arrow

The above is a complaint posted by a verified patient and will remain live on the site unless the patient requests that it be removed. As per our TOS users seeking to write a public complaint about a doctor, are required to verify their identity and BaldTruthTalk.Com will then notify the doctor so that he/she can respond publicly as well. The thread will allow for the patient to tell their story, the doctor to respond, the patient to reply to the doctor's response and one last response from the doctor if necessary. This thread will will stay live but will be locked and only opened if the clinic in question can respond to the complaint. General commentary from other users will not be allowed.