+ Reply to Thread

Default Not sure what to do

Hi everyone. First time poster. I'm guess I was just wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on what to do. I'm 35 and have had widows peaks for probably the last 10 years. I feel I am at that stage of 'Do I shave my head or not'. Over the past 5 years I have shaved it with a 2 guard on and off. I shave it and I feel like it looks better, then I see myself in pics and think I look better with what hair I have left. At this point my hair isn't changing much. I think I am a Nor III but am not sure because some scales look different. I have no hair loss on the crown, just my temples and front. It looks like my widows peaks are slightly starting to come together. I am about to get married and everything is going my way. I don't know why I am bothered by my hair more than usual lately, but I am. I thought about HT but I think I am not going that route. Do you guys think anything else will work? Propecia, etc? Thanks a bunch.

All the attached pics are recent. Some with shaved head, some with hair. The hair shots are from today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01850.JPG

Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	5448   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01681.JPG

Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	5450   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01844.jpg

Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	5451   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01689.JPG

Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	5452  

Try the big 3, see what happens after 6-12 months....thats what I would do.

What are the big three and how do I get them? what are the chances they will help?

The Big three are Propecia (finasteride) Rogaine (minoxidil) and Nizoral shampoo (it's active ingredient is ketoconazole)
    These are three things that help people with hair loss. Some people get regrowth and some get good maintenance with them.
    Propecia is a prescription once a day pill, Rogaine is a topical liquid applied twice a day and Nizoral is a shampoo that most people use 2 to 3 times per week, although it has never been FDA approved for hair regrowth.
    Both Propecia and Rogaine were studied for hair loss in the crown or vertex
    and this is where they are said to work best. However I have seen a lot of reliable photo evidence of them working on the hair line.
    Some Non BS examples can be seen on Dr. Robert Bernstein's website in the medications section. I suggest you check it out. As for the way your hair looks now it seems very thick. I am 56 and I had friends from high school who were heading for a Norwood 3 in the 12th grade and 37 years later they still look almost the same.
    I hope this helps.
    Last edited by mlao; 06-30-2010 at 09:57 AM. Reason: spelling

If money is no issue, I would also look into a HT. There are excellent doctors on this board and there's no harm in getting a consultation.

Talk to your doctor before taking Propecia (Finasteride) because for the first few months it's been known to have sexual side effects such as decreased libido, which is not necessarily something the bride-to-be will be excited about.

I just a little hesitant about the whole HT thing. I don't want to deal with a life of scars, repeat procedures, etc. in order to have hair for 5 years. Maybe it won't be so bad because I am 35 and pretty much my thinning has stopped. It has been this way forever.

On a percentage scale, with your guys experience and in speaking with others, how effective is propecia? One of my good friends took in during college and I don't think it did much. I just don't want to waste money, time and hope on another product like I did Ovation. What the hell was I thinking with that stuff.