+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Male mid twenties, thin hair + MBP. Sharing research, expectation and considerations.

Hey,

Ever since I was a teenager I noticed my thin hair. It has been the greatest complex in my life and I've been saving up for ages to do something about it. I'm also developing MBP, I think at norwood 2. I'll post some pictures of my current situation in the following days but I'm convinced I want to tackle this problem once and for all. I obviously don't want to get scammed as everything seems too good to be true and therefore I'm sharing whatever I've researched in the last few years. I will also post lifestyle adjustments, products and procedures I'm planning on undergoing and try to present it in a non-biased way so other males with similar problems can get something out of this.

My goal: trying to get thicker hair and get my hairline straight. I'm considering coloring it darker as it's light brown and in the light you can see my skull.

Best post I've seen so far on this website which imo is:

https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/thread...art-2018-Right

I'm trying to include as much of these in my lifestyle which is obviously a challenge.

These are the surgical options I'm currently considering, I'm mostly leaning towards surgery with Artas. I kind of shy away from fina / minox etc though I might consider it once I've consulted my doctor.

Biofibre: mostly due to this study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26016977 / http://www.biofibre.com/en/products/

Artas vs Neograft:
    https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/thread...fts-April-2015
    If I do Artas I'm considering this clinic: https://www.hair-clinic.eu/clinics/r...ar-lisbon.html

Also considering regular FUE by https://bhrclinic.com/. Who seems to be one of the best in the industry.

Ugraft recently came on my radar(something new I haven't research a lot ) https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/thread...ant-Technology

Contacted Dr. Civas in Turkey to see what they suggested:

THE PROBLEM

You have lost hair – receding hairline and temples. You must do something about it before its too late as this could affect your self confidence in future.

THE SOLUTION

Your hair problem can be fixed.

Priority will be given to bringing out a natural appearance other than uniform coverage of the whole bald area.
    The hairline and temples will be covered with natural density to enhance your appearance and facial frame.
    The final result will be a well designed, fully restored, natural hairline that perfectly goes with your face; and improved density that blends with your original hair.
    Your hair transplant results will be natural and undetectable.
    ESTIMATES

Grafts: 3000 grafts
    Technique: FUE
    Coverage: Hairline and temples
    Cost: 1.5€ per graft (total 4500€)
    Inclusive: 3 nights’ accommodation, airport transfers, medication, shampoo, cap, Ankara tour, online support for 1 year after surgery!

I have mixed feelings about this. Email seems very suggestive and I've noticed a decent amount of negative reactions from patients but that might be bias. Overall I don't feel negative about this surgeon but something feels off regardless of being a fishrs according to the www.ishrs.org

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatStruggle View Post
    Contacted Dr. Civas in Turkey to see what they suggested:

THE PROBLEM

You have lost hair – receding hairline and temples. You must do something about it before its too late as this could affect your self confidence in future.

THE SOLUTION

Your hair problem can be fixed.

Priority will be given to bringing out a natural appearance other than uniform coverage of the whole bald area.
    The hairline and temples will be covered with natural density to enhance your appearance and facial frame.
    The final result will be a well designed, fully restored, natural hairline that perfectly goes with your face; and improved density that blends with your original hair.
    Your hair transplant results will be natural and undetectable.
    ESTIMATES

Grafts: 3000 grafts
    Technique: FUE
    Coverage: Hairline and temples
    Cost: 1.5€ per graft (total 4500€)
    Inclusive: 3 nights’ accommodation, airport transfers, medication, shampoo, cap, Ankara tour, online support for 1 year after surgery!
    Nice sales pitch
    Get a HT or else

Ok== first problem:

"I want to tackle this problem once and for all"

Eh, not gonna happen my friend. You're say you're mid 20's and a Norwood 2? then you're not a candidate for a transplant. In fact, you are risking what hair you have.

Do you know how many guys in your shoes have been down this road? guys that were determined to "stay ahead of the problem" and "face the issue head on?"

Yeah. They rushed out and got a hair transplant because they "wanted to enjoy their best looking years" because everyone knows that your sex life ends after 30, right?

These are the same guys that end up crying in their beer about what a huge mistake they've made and looking for advice on how to repair or reverse a hair transplant. BUt it's too late.

Second Problem==

Ties in to the first problem but you're too young to get a transplant. You still have a lot of hair, you don't know your final balding pattern, and if you get a transplant now, you'll just be chasing a hairline for the next 10 years. That never ends well.

Third Problem==

Turkey? really? let's get serious here. In my humble opinion, there are only a handful of hair transplant surgeons that you should trust with your procedure-- docs who get consistent results and good reviews by their patients. The list is not hard to come up with with a little research. The best hair transplant docs are here in the good 'ol USA.

So what are your real options at this point?

Propecia and Minox. Keep what you have and maybe improve it. Because as I always say, the hairline that's causing you so much concern and agony right now is the one you'll wish you had 5 to 7 years from now. Believe it.

But do the research. Propecia has its own risks. Know them going in and make an informed choice before taking the pill.

Stabilize the loss if able. Keep you hair short. Get yourself in shape with diet and exercise. Be confident in yourself and don't let this issue consume you and rob you of this time in life.

You might want to look at concealers like Toppik spray or hair fibers. If you're a Norwood 2, a few sprays can do wonders.

Fact is, other than the above, you can only wait and watch at this point.

Hal

Hey, appreciate the comments especially those who are written completely unbiased and honest.

1) I'm pretty sure I'm a norwood 2. I could be between a 1 and 2 or 2 and 3 but I'm unsure. Will have to get pictures up. I've heard before from people that I should probably wait with a transplant which I'm probably going to do regardless. I'm definitely not in the mindset of 'I have to get a transplant asap' but rather a mindset of 'I should change some of my habbits, consider using medication, darken my hair, use concealers, yada yada' and see how much I can change my appearance. I've even considered partial wigs only in the temples.

It really sounds stupid to let something like this affect confidence but unfortunately this has been the case for years and has an influence on how I approach life. I've been advised to see a psychiatrist because 'it's all in the head' which might very well be the case. Still I'm determined to take action some way or another over seeing a psych.

2) You could be totally right. The biggest problem I have is due to thinning in the front / receding in the temples: My forehead feels huge. I'm also considering forehead reduction even though this brings it's risks with it like scarring. Like I said I'm not set yet on what I will do but I know I'm close to desperate to make something happen. While I'm reasonably confident in myself, the worst feeling I ever have is when I'm in a conversation with people making eye contact and suddenly they look up over my eyebrows. This is why I often wear a hat.

3) I only considered for a moment Turkey cause he seemed one of the best in the country as advised by the ishrs.org but even he made me sceptical so I already decided on not taking this route. As I mentioned I'll be sharing options all options I've considered.

I'm looking into mesotherapy + laser therapy at the moment as it seems to be a more natural solution to Fin/Minox but still doing research about it as I haven't seen much results/reviews. This is what I've been advised so far by the Clinica Replace in Portugal. If anyone could teach me more about this, share own experiences with meso or this clinic please feel free to respond.

Also looking into changing lifestyle (completely quit smoking / alcohol), change habbits (like washing hair every day).

Regarding mesotherapy and other drugs I'm reading this atm: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4339524/

Posting a couple of pictures of my current situation. This is how it looks when waking up (unwashed as i usually wash it daily which I'm going to stop). Feels incredibly thin as you can see through when light is bright. It feels extremely greasy, just like my skin when I don't wash it so this might be from bad hair products / shampoos / lifestyle and overall it's tough to not wash it as it feels horrible and dirty.

https://gyazo.com/04d2f5bde61340c0ef184ad31e586006
    https://gyazo.com/9e359e8165eb11932a6766d31de86161
    https://gyazo.com/52f1dae60702704dee2da63bc749cfc5
    https://gyazo.com/04babe8534215c3b7c845fb967dd99b2
    Last edited by TheGreatStruggle; 08-20-2018 at 04:23 AM. Reason: pics didn't show

Quote Originally Posted by hal View Post

You might want to look at concealers like Toppik spray or hair fibers. If you're a Norwood 2, a few sprays can do wonders.

Hal
    Wondering if there's people on these forums using Toppik products like the concealers / shampoos etc and what their experiences are aswell

Considering I'm certainly too young for a transplant I'm looking into other (perhaps temporary) solutions while changing lifestyle and undergoing treatment. I'm going to consult my doctor asap about medication but obviously I'm going to try and search for an aesthetic solution perhaps in the form of a hair system / micro-pigmentation. Again looking for people who have experience using these methods

I don't know too much about micro pigmentation, only that it seems expensive from what I can see. I do like the fact that there is a non permanent option that will fade in time. I suppose it all depends if you can pull off the shaved head look. If you're young, in shape, and have good facial features (strong jaw, ears that don't stick out, etc.) it could work for you.

Hair systems? I wore hair for a period of 4 years once upon a time. Initially, I thought I had solved my hair issues. The I realized that I had only traded one set of concerns/problems for another. Live and learn and YMMV, but I feel the only hairpiece you should consider is one for the crown.

Generally speaking, if you're thinning and balding, short hair is best. Keep it short, keep it neat. Concealers can work wonders-- however, you have to experiment to find what works and looks best on you. A lot of that depends on your hair situation of course. It takes a little bit of experience and a little investment to get to that point. For starters, though, I'd look in to Toppik. Both the spray and the fibers.

Meds seem like your best option at this point to stabilize and keep what you have. However, be aware of the risks and downsides. Propecia can cause shedding at first, and you have to be prepared for this. Plus there may be other side effects.

Personally, I believe people affected by the side effects are a lot more than the drug company states, but that's me. Just educate yourself before starting any treatment. Know the risks and what to expect.