+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
    I agree with a lot of what 35's saying, but personally I would wear a wig before I chose to isolate myself from society because of baldness. A wig is a radical solution but cutting yourself off from the world is going way further along the road of craziness.

Placing your hope in a 'cure' five years from now is, in my view, completely at odds of your claims to be a 'realist'. A realist would accept that while there is a chance of a cure being available in this time period, there are so many variables and uncertainties at play that you can by no means be sure of it. Planning your future on uncertainty is setting up a huge risk if your bet doesn't come good.

I agree that hair loss is a big deal for many people. There are guys who look great with the shave, and more power to them. For the rest of us, it is a big deal.
    I would definitely isolate myself from society before I even dared of wearing a wig. I would much rather be laughed at for going bald then wearing a rug on my head.

I also think hair loss is a big deal to EVERYONE. I could not imagine someone who is going bald and doesn't really care at all.

I was a lot happier when I wasn't going bald in social situations. When I hang out with people I can't stop thinking about my hair(even though I am in the very early stages of balding and you can't really tell I am balding, but I know I am). I wish I could just have fun with my friends and have a good time, but I have mostly secluded myself from the friends I used to hang out with on a daily basis. The occasional time I do hang out with them all I can think about is my hair and how it looks or if the wind blows and now it looks terrible. I just hate it. I really do. I want to go back to having fun with my friends without thinking about my damn hair. This sucks. I also feel I will never find the perfect girl for me because of this. I am a pretty good looking guy and I would look SO much better without my receding hairline and a thicker, fuller head of hair (on top). It just sucks that this is happening to me in my early 20's. I feel so helpless. What makes it worse is NONE of my friends are dealing with this so I essentially feel like a huge social outcast. It is always on my mind when I am with other people. It is sad when the happiest I am is when I am alone, but at the same time I am miserable because I can't have fun the way I used to be able to.

My hair loss isn't THAT bad. I still have hair on the top of my head and no apparent bald spot. I know it is thinning on top and it is getting worse. I also have had the dreaded receding hairline since I was about 18. It really is a terrible thing to deal with.

There are so many balding guys in the world that live forfilled lives and are very very happy. The question is are you ready to accept your fate (do what you can via meds sure) but then let nature or time look after the rest. You can be damn sure they arent on these forums listening to Fixed_35 tell them they are ugly and should take a number in the welfare line.

Fact: Girls don't mind bald in fact some love it and will gravitate to you providing you are clean and well groomed. The people on here that say girls would take a full headed hair guy over bald really are talking through a hole in their head as that would mean bald guys would all be single and lonely (clearly not the case).

You can have a HT thats fine or wear a wig do whatever you feel you need to.

Biggest thing is to not get or let yourself spiral into self pity and self loathing

Sure you can do all you can to keep what you have but do not get into the debates of thinking hair is the only thing worth living for

Thumbs up

Right on Nate! Attitude is 90% of the battle. We all have to try to accept the situation that we’re in and do what we can to make the best of it. I think that this is what this forum is all about. Sure there will be some extreme personalities popping up here and there, but I think this is the most positive forum on the internet and by far the most respectable. The information on here is vast and helps a lot of people including myself. Fixedby35 can be a bit of a downer but sadly this is the way that he feels about losing his hair. I don't aggree with him, but he’s the one who’s suffering, I guess he just likes to vent here.

I need to practice more what I preach Winston lol

I keep harping on about this but I would love to shave my head if it werent for a few insecurities I hold within myself. Shaving isnt for everyone but imagine embracing it. Honestly thinking about it where I am I would be the mantis as no one else does it

Issue: HT scar (how do you explain that sh1t to your loved ones)

Also buzzed to a number 2 or 1 itll be freaky to see what the hair looks like and whether its fully noticeable the thinner areas

Apart from the above once you find that happy medium and can get out there and go swimming and ride my motorcycle and go enjoy life without having to make decisions based on how I feel about my hair. That is when I will be free and I hope to be there soon

TLDR - This isn't intended for anyone, but some of the comments in this thread got me wanting to talk a bit. It's long, but I try not to ramble.

I'm a singer in an alternative rock band which plays original music. The particular genre we're in favors male singers who are both attractive in the face and somewhat androgynous in appearance. I have a female-ish voice and everything was perfect for this band - great songs, great players, a fanbase, style, etc etc.

Then my hair starts balding. On top. That simply doesn't work. I cannot be balding and play this kind of music, appeal to these sorts of fans - like it or not, the image of a man changes the perception of him in totality.

It sucks. I'm very disappointed at the timing of this condition.

My long, stylish hair is now a thing of the past, as I have shaved my head to reveal my baldness. But I will continue to play music. I will start a band in which either a shaved head or crazy, overgrown and balding appearance will work and keep doing some form of what I love to do - like many others before me. Beyond that, I will continue to better myself and enjoy life as much as possible for the time I have left.

I encourage anyone who feels defeated by their baldness to focus on getting their mind, body and spirit into shape. Be academic, be creative, experience your existance beyond the social constructs which you may be used to. Whether this is reading philosophy, taking night classes, joining a church or a non-for-profit organization, or even joining the local YMCA - make some kind of positive and progressive change in your life.

Even one small step could send you on a path that ultimately offsets any of the negative qualities of being bald. That doesn't mean you wouldn't look better with hair, or that you won't think about your baldness every day of your life - it just means that you'll be ok.

Bon Iver

Built to Spill

Michael Stipe

The Jealous Sound

Samiam

When I think of successful bald people whom I admire, these guys stand out. They are not necessarily my favorite musicians, but they are real artists who chose not to let their baldness remove them from the spotlight. I never thought much about that until I started losing my hair.

Sorry if I sound preachy :/