+ Reply to Thread

Default Artas Hair Transplant Patient - 3000 grafts

I am a 53-year-old male who just underwent a first-time hair transplant surgery. Chose Dr. Berman of Palo Alto who specializes in the Artas robotic procedure. Yes, I went back and forth among several physicians and procedures, before settling on Dr. Berman. It has been three days since the operation and photos are posted below. Will try to take pictures on a monthly basis (if I remember!). Am nervous (as is everyone) of what grafts will survive and thrive.

The procedure took 2 days, each day lasting approximately 8 hours (1500 grafts per day for a total of 3000 grafts). Pain was minimal except for one anesthetic shot that radiated down my jaw for some reason. The Artas robot extracted the grafts and also made incisions for grafts on top of my head (but not the incisions for the hairline or crown which were done manually). Apparently, the FDA has very recently approved the Artas for implantation of grafts but that's still in the testing phase, according to Dr. Berman.

One thing that the technicians told me while the grafts were being implanted which I had never heard about was that they liked my scalp because it was "easy" to work with. I asked what they meant and apparently (according to them) some scalps are harder to work with than others. I got the impression it had to do with skin density or elasticity or something. Anyway, it's something I hadn't heard of before, not sure if it matters for end results, or how to tell if one's scalp is the type that is easy to work with or not.

BEFORE
    Click image for larger version

Name:	hair-before-back.jpg

Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	58391Click image for larger version

Name:	hair-before-top.jpg

Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	58392
    3-DAYS AFTER - 3000 grafts

Name:	hair-3day-post-back.jpg

Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	58389Click image for larger version

Name:	hair-3day-post-top.jpg

Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	58390
    (small scar on back of head is from childhood injury)

Default Artas Hair Transplant Patient - 3000 grafts (10 day update)

I am very thankful that I took 2 weeks off for the transplant. At about the 5th day out, I was experiencing some intermittent intense pain in the donor area (kind of a mix between a severe sunburn and a toothache). On the 7th day, I ran out of tylenol with codeine and the doctor was hesitant to prescribe more and instead prescribed some hydroxyzine for night to help me sleep (not sure it was very effective). However, ibuprofen and aloe vera applied to the donor area only helped manage the pain.

Last night, I still had that stabbing pain (which gets intense at night for some reason) but it was much diminished from the night before and today I'm feeling pretty good. After googling around, apparently, this lingering pain from nerve damage isn't common but also isn't that unusual. At the trajectory of the pain diminishing, it will probably be nonexistent in a few more days, but again, I am very glad I'm not having to work under this condition since I took 2 weeks off to recover.

I can't decide if I'm suffering from shock loss or not in the donor area. There definitely seems to be a noticeable zone that looks patchy/thin compared to the surrounding area.

Name:	hair-10day-post-back.jpg

Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	58506Click image for larger version

Name:	hair-10day-post-top.jpg

Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	58507

I am very thankful that I took 2 weeks off for the transplant. At about the 5th day out, I was experiencing some intermittent intense pain in the donor area (kind of a mix between a severe sunburn and a toothache). On the 7th day, I ran out of tylenol with codeine and the doctor was hesitant to prescribe more and instead prescribed some hydroxyzine for night to help me sleep (not sure it was very effective). However, ibuprofen and aloe vera applied to the donor area only helped manage the pain.

Last night, I still had that stabbing pain (which gets intense at night for some reason) but it was much diminished from the night before and today I'm feeling pretty good. After googling around, apparently, this lingering pain from nerve damage isn't common but also isn't that unusual. At the trajectory of the pain diminishing, it will probably be nonexistent in a few more days, but again, I am very glad I'm not having to work under this condition since I took 2 weeks off to recover.

I can't decide if I'm suffering from shock loss or not in the donor area. There definitely seems to be a noticeable zone that looks patchy/thin compared to the surrounding area.

Name:	hair-10day-post-top.jpg

Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	58508Click image for larger version

Name:	hair-10day-post-back.jpg

Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	58509

How does it look now? Can you send more photos/update please?

Default 3 Year Update

Here's the update. I'm probably 70% satisfied. Obviously, it could use another treatment.

Name:	IMG_2837.jpg

Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	70153Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2840.JPG

Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	70154Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2843.jpg

Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	70155