+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Oily Scalp with Dandruff and Hair System?

Hello! I have dandruff on my scalp that does not go away. Will the hair system stick on the scalp?

Try Nizoral and there are many different ways to attach a hair system.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean View Post
    Try Nizoral and there are many different ways to attach a hair system.
    Hello MrClean! Thank you for your response, so if I use anti-dandruff shampoo then the system will stick to my head? I haven't got one yet, just wondering if a person like me who has oily scalp and dandruff can get a week out of a system?

If you plan on using tape that should help. They also have glue and clips and i am not a expert on hair pieces at all. You need to go to an expert for some good advice and talk to clients not just the guy selling them that looks great because most likely that is not what you are going to get. Good luck and let us know what happens.

James... consider applying apple cider vinegar on your scalp when you're relaxing at home. It may sound weird, but it works. Dab it on using a napkin or cloth 2 times a day. It will clear up in a week. Even with dandruff applying a hair system with bonding tape would not be an issue.

What kind of hair system are you thinking about? If you go French lace it is easily removable and you can take it off every day to treat your scalp, same as you do now. Other (usually more natural) systems are glued to the scalp or attached for several days and its not as easy to take it off. FL is usually attached with clips on the side, and tape in the front. Swiss lace and others usually glued in front and taped on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by EdinLA View Post
    James... consider applying apple cider vinegar on your scalp when you're relaxing at home. It may sound weird, but it works. Dab it on using a napkin or cloth 2 times a day. It will clear up in a week. Even with dandruff applying a hair system with bonding tape would not be an issue.
    Hello! Thanks for the tip, I will definitely do that. Also, Can you tell me if the hair system will stick to an oily scalp? Because I have an oily scalp and I am scared as hell that the system will slip right off. I can use tape or bond whichever works best.

Quote Originally Posted by RunsWithScissors View Post
    What kind of hair system are you thinking about? If you go French lace it is easily removable and you can take it off every day to treat your scalp, same as you do now. Other (usually more natural) systems are glued to the scalp or attached for several days and its not as easy to take it off. FL is usually attached with clips on the side, and tape in the front. Swiss lace and others usually glued in front and taped on the side.
    Hello! I am thinking about a lace based system but don't know whether I should get a french or swiss and would use tape or glue (whichever works best). Besides having dandruff, I also have very oily scalp and that is scaring the shi*t out of me because what I studied in rudimental chemistry is that oil doesn't allow the tape or glue to stick. So can you tell me if I am just being paranoid or oily scalp is going to an issue? Thanks :-)

I use FL. It is most durable and I have had systems last 2 years +. I attach with clips on the sides and back and tape in front. Swiss lace wearers can chime in but I know it is a more delicate material, very thin. This makes it more I harder to detect, but it also means the system (I understand) only lasts a few months and then needs to be replaced. I think SL wearers typically use glue and only take it off once per 5-7 days or so (which I understand requires special glue solvents and a little time). They wash and then re-attach for the next 5-7 days. But it is very difficult or impossible for someone to see. But there are variations, you can get SL with a polymer side and back and use clips there too, but still need glue just in front (tape I think would be visible). I recommend you start with FL to see if this is for you - it's just easier and cheaper. You can graduate to SL later if interested. The glue or tape is not going to be a problem with an oily scalp, you just attach to a clean scalp and it will be fine. Most people worry too much getting their first system, but it ain't high tech, you will be fine. In either case you need someone who can give a really good cut in (they come with tons of hair on them and need to be cut and thinned). Some people go to regular barbers but I don't recommend it as I find systems need to be thinned quite a bit and there are some tricks to cutting them. Best is if you learn to cut them yourself. You can make a mold of your scalp pretty easy but maybe first time use a pro to ease heachaches. I used a pro for years until going independent (and yes, you will ruin several while learning).

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Amir Yazdan, MD's Avatar

For oily scalp I would recommend using the following products. Nizoral shampoo 2x a week. groMD shampoo daily. Both should help control sebum and dandruff on the scalp.

https://www.amazon.com/GroMD-Doctor-...dp/B07F9393S3/

https://www.amazon.com/Nizoral-Anti-...-1-spons&psc=1
    Amir Yazdan, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile