1900 FUE grafts with Dr. Rahal - So happy with my decision! - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 1900 FUE grafts with Dr. Rahal - So happy with my decision!

6 Months Post Op - 1900 FUE Grafts from Dr Rahal

I struggled with hair loss for a few years, beginning in my early twenties. My hairline slowly started to recede towards the dreaded “M” pattern and then I noticed that my crown was starting to thin and became particularly noticeable under bright light. I didn’t seek out any sort of treatment until I was almost 27 because I didn’t know that there was anything I could do to prevent further hair loss. I researched a bit online and came across different web forums that all seem to echo that I should be on the “Big 3”. The “Big 3” were minoxidil, finasteride and ketoconazole shampoo. I started with minoxidil foam (5%) and Nizoral shampoo that contained 2% ketoconazole for about six months.

There was a noticeable improvement around the four month mark and I was kind of shocked by how much my hair grew back and thickened. After six months, I decided to get a prescription for finasteride to try to prevent hair loss in the future… I wish I had never touched the stuff. The side effects that I got from taking finasteride affected more than just my hormonal system and lowering my DHT levels and I decided that I wasn’t going to continue taking it even though I knew the inevitable would continue to happen if I didn’t. It was a little over a year later that I decided to look up hair transplant doctors and the different types of procedures offered.

After reading different reviews online and seeing patients “Before and After” photos, I found myself most impressed with Dr Rahal’s results and consistent track record, most notably regarding his hairline restoration procedures. I scheduled a consultation with Chad in Toronto which lasted about 45 minutes. Chad explained the different types of procedures (FUT strip and FUE) and also gave me an estimate with how many grafts my procedure might require to get the desired result.

I ended up booking my FUE procedure with Dr Rahal based on the fact that he’s among the best in his field and that he’s particularly skilled with hairline restoration which is what I was looking for. It also didn’t hurt that he has an excellent track record. Some people online even claim that his work must be a scam because the results are so consistent. A hair transplant is something that you want to have done properly the first time; because of the limited availability of grafts that can be transplanted as well as the extra cost if you have to have your procedure done over again.

The alternative was to have an FUT procedure was not an option for me because I considered it a bit too invasive. I was comfortable with the FUE method, even though it was more expensive, I felt it was the better choice for me. I wanted a quick recovery, no scar and to be comfortable going in to the procedure.

The atmosphere at the RAHAL clinic in Ottawa, where I had my procedure done, is very comforting and caring. Each of the staff ensures that you’re relaxed and you're not rushed at all. I wasn’t at all nervous going in to the procedure, in fact, I felt more relieved that I was actually going forward with this.

Overall, the surgery was quite painless. I did have some minor swelling that subsided in about two days, but this is due to me sitting up in bed after the procedure and working on my laptop while tilting my head down towards the keyboard for hours the morning after my surgery. Ideally, you want to keep your head straight or lay down to avoid any swelling.

The recovery was much easier than I expected; I had my procedure on a Tuesday morning and was back at work (office job) Thursday morning. You do have to sleep on a 45-degree angle for the first five nights after your surgery, but you get used to this pretty quickly. I didn't experience any serious pain, not even a mild headache so the pain medication that the clinic provided wasn't necessary for me.

The photos included are the 6 month results from my FUE procedure with Dr. Rahal. In all, I had 1931 grafts via FUE (719 were 1 hair grafts, 1127 were 2 hair grafts, 84 were 3 hair grafts, 1 was a 4 hair graft. In total with 1931 grafts, 3229 hairs were planted. I've also attached my pre-op photos and my post-op photo the day after the surgery.

In addition to the FUE procedure I also had PRP treatment during the surgery. I'd highly recommend opting for PRP treatment to anyone who's having a hair transplant done. I believe PRP vastly reduced my healing time and the difference it's made to my hair in areas that I didn't have FUE done is amazing. In the attached photos, I've only had one PRP treatment and that was during the surgery. I do intend to continue having PRP done once every 6-12 months.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg

Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	58191Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg

Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	58192Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0398.jpg

Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	58193Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2242.jpg

Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	58194Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-6738.jpg

Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	58195Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-6739.jpg

Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	58196Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-6959.jpg

Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	58197Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-6960.jpg

Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	58198

So far I'm very happy with the results. I do notice fine, blonde hair starting to grow along the hairline so I know my six month photos don't yet show the full result. I'll post back more later.

Dr. Rahal's results are really unmatched i don't think anybody can tell thats a transplanted hairline tbh great work, i'm thinking of going to Dr. Rahal for a repair procedure. The only think holding me back is the distance and mines would be FUT So ill have to stay there a while.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mia9494 View Post
    Dr. Rahal's results are really unmatched i don't think anybody can tell thats a transplanted hairline tbh great work, i'm thinking of going to Dr. Rahal for a repair procedure. The only think holding me back is the distance and mines would be FUT So ill have to stay there a while.
    I definitely think you've chosen the right doc and I'm very pleased with my outcome so far! It'll be worth the trip for you!

Hey there...new member here. Your results look amazing. You have a really nice looking thick hairline. I am scheduled to have a 3000 FUT graft done by Rahal in November this year. I feel good knowing you had a good experience overall with him and the clinic. Do you have any specific tips for me regarding a transplant with him? Just any random info.

Quote Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
    Hey there...new member here. Your results look amazing. You have a really nice looking thick hairline. I am scheduled to have a 3000 FUT graft done by Rahal in November this year. I feel good knowing you had a good experience overall with him and the clinic. Do you have any specific tips for me regarding a transplant with him? Just any random info.
    Thanks for your comments!

My recommendation would be that for the first two weeks after your procedure that you really take care of both the grafted and donor areas as directed in the after care book. Once Rahal's team has done their work, the rest of the outcome will be based on how well you heal and how the grafts take hold so keeping the area moist with the provided saline solutions is critical. I believe a lot of the outcome is determined within the first week after the procedure so just do your absolute best in following the after care instructions and you'll be fine. The only other thing I can recommend is to have PATIENCE - watching your hair grow is akin to watching paint dry, but the results will come, I promise!

Thanks for the response. How long did you take off until you returned to work? How long did the transplanted area stay red/pink?
    Do you need to keep the grafts moist even during the night time hours in-between sleep?

I've done a lot of research on it, and Dr. Rahal seems to be the best in North America. Would you ever go back to him again if needed? Any downsides to choosing Rahal that you can think of?

Quote Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
    Thanks for the response. How long did you take off until you returned to work? How long did the transplanted area stay red/pink?
    Do you need to keep the grafts moist even during the night time hours in-between sleep?

I've done a lot of research on it, and Dr. Rahal seems to be the best in North America. Would you ever go back to him again if needed? Any downsides to choosing Rahal that you can think of?
    I had my procedure on a Tuesday, my follow up appointment on Wednesday at noon and then I drove myself home that afternoon. I was back in the office on Thursday morning.
    You only spray the grafts before you go to bed, then again when you wake up and throughout the day. You don't do it every two hours while you're trying to sleep, thankfully.

I can remember exactly how long the grafted area stayed pink, maybe a few months at most. The level of discolouration changes depending on blood flow, so if you're doing exercise then the area will be come more flushed, but if you're just working at your desk then it's hardly noticeable. I think it also depends a lot on your skin tone how long it remains noticeable, if at all. The darker your skin tone then the less likely you are to notice it. Plus, your grafts start to grow in around three months and they covers most of the pink tone if there's any remaining.

Yes, without hesitation, I would definitely go back to Rahal and his team for future treatment. There really wasn't any downside; perhaps only that the Rahal clinic in Ottawa (which is a top notch facility) is a five hour drive from me, but he now also offers treatment in Toronto which is only an hour from where I live. The guest house at the Rahal clinic in Ottawa is a big plus because there's no need to go out in public after your procedure. You just walk next door, order take-out and relax in bed.

Quote Originally Posted by jdp1989 View Post
    I had my procedure on a Tuesday, my follow up appointment on Wednesday at noon and then I drove myself home that afternoon. I was back in the office on Thursday morning.
    You only spray the grafts before you go to bed, then again when you wake up and throughout the day. You don't do it every two hours while you're trying to sleep, thankfully.

I can remember exactly how long the grafted area stayed pink, maybe a few months at most. The level of discolouration changes depending on blood flow, so if you're doing exercise then the area will be come more flushed, but if you're just working at your desk then it's hardly noticeable. I think it also depends a lot on your skin tone how long it remains noticeable, if at all. The darker your skin tone then the less likely you are to notice it. Plus, your grafts start to grow in around three months and they covers most of the pink tone if there's any remaining.

Yes, without hesitation, I would definitely go back to Rahal and his team for future treatment. There really wasn't any downside; perhaps only that the Rahal clinic in Ottawa (which is a top notch facility) is a five hour drive from me, but he now also offers treatment in Toronto which is only an hour from where I live. The guest house at the Rahal clinic in Ottawa is a big plus because there's no need to go out in public after your procedure. You just walk next door, order take-out and relax in bed.
    Would you be able to share if any of the implanted grafts fell out and when? I'm starting to notice procedures with PRP have experienced less short-term shock loss.

Quote Originally Posted by charliebrowncanada View Post
    Would you be able to share if any of the implanted grafts fell out and when? I'm starting to notice procedures with PRP have experienced less short-term shock loss.
    Yes, your implanted grafts will always shed, usually around the 2-4 week mark after your procedure. Only the hair of the graft sheds, however, and the transplanted follicle is still intact in the scalp. It will start growing new hair around the 3-4 month mark. A small percentage of grafts may start growing right away, as was the case with me, but I would say this is less than 5% of the total transplanted grafts.

I think PRP can definitely help with the healing time and recovery of the scalp, although I'm not sure that it will prevent shedding since it's injected at the same time that the procedure is done. The PRP injections may help areas that experience shock loss recovery more quickly and this could be what you've noticed. If PRP is done about six months prior to a procedure then it can strengthen existing follicles elsewhere on the scalp prior to the procedure so they may not end up shedding after the procedure.

I believe everyone has some minor shock loss after a procedure, but it's generally not noticeable since the patient's head is shaved anyway. The areas that experience shock loss generally recover by the time the rest of the hair grows back in and it's not apparent and then continues to recover as time goes on. Those currently on finasteride at lease six months prior to a procedure probably have the least chance of experiencing shock loss.

I hope that helps!

Hey jdp I had my procedure done! 3000 FUT with Rahal. Less than a week ago. All I can say so far is, wow at how swollen my face/forehead is. Temporary they say, but shocker. Mine was about double what you had though. Great experience at the clinic. They recommend Rogaine at day 14. Did you do that?