+ Reply to Thread

Default Concerns about hair system

I have thought about trying a hair system, but I’m concerned about affecting the native hairs on my scalp. I would have to shave the area to bond the system and I’ve read that systems can cause damage to the scalp over time, or even traction alopecia. I found testimonies from some who believe it’s because of the constant friction or the scalp not breathing enough. Or maybe the glue/tape blocking the hair follicles. And some said their native hairs seemed to thin more and more as a result of wearing hair. Anyone have insight on this? I also found a lot of info about women who wear lace systems, saying it has damaged their hairlines. And then there’s some sites — mostly those who manufacture the systems — that say no damage will occur to the scalp. Don’t know what to make of it all. You get so much conflicting info on the internet — it’s frustrating and makes effective research almost impossible.

I think if you have very sensitive skin or a pre existing tendency them wearing may cause irritation.

I have sensitive skin and I have been wearing almost a decade now. My native hair still grows and I have not noticed any sudden problems.

People start to wear hair systems because of progressively thinning head. That thinning will not stop when wearing so "damaged" hairlines which is just progressive thinning.

The key is a good regular routine of cleaning and reattaching and should you start to notice any sudden problems stop wearing until resolved.

Thanks for the reply. Do you wear 24/7? Or remove daily? And do you bond with tape, glue, or both? This is what I read from bravi.com

The damage to a hair system wearer’s scalp over time creates a set of invisible, yet highly challenging conditions (such as varied types of scarring) that require considerable expertise to treat properly.

For example, hair system chemicals cause scarring. This results from prolonged exposure to the toxicity of hair system adhesives and solvents.

Another form of scarring–traction hair system scarring–takes place because of the tension placed on the living hair follicles at any hair system adhesion point.

Even worse, extended wearing of a hair system can result in localized Traction Alopecia (pulling live hair out by its roots), leaving the follicle too scarred to regenerate. This causes the hair loss to be far more extensive than what would have naturally occurred, both in the amount of living hair density remaining and in the total area of hair loss.

I wear for 2-weeks at a time. Tape.

I see your concern for hair/scalp damage, but if youre considering a system, isn't your follicles already sub standard? You're way over thinking it. Use a lace system that ventilates and use tape bond. I've had my system for 2 years and year 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week. Hair still grows were the bonding is applied.

I wear a hair "system" aka wig and have been for over 20 years! It has served me well and I dont have the issues mentioned above..Having said that I am a "slave" too it. I want to get rid of it but the change would be too drastic..so I am mulling my other options..

what would the other options be - HT?