+ Reply to Thread

Default Short Anabolic Cycle, Bye Bye Hairline, Hello Balding

Dear balding or hair-receding fellows,

I am a 30-year-old joyful and upbeat European male, who recently had the genius idea to run a 3.5 weeks cycle of Winstrol anabolic steroid which destroyed my hairline (yeay!).

I have stopped 1.5 months ago and I have been since then on a crusade to recover my precious hair. It is important to highlight, that I had NO muscle/strength benefits from the steroid, just a loss of 2/3rd of my hair density on the sides of my frontal hairline and a nice shrinking of my testies (double yeay!)

It is not the first time that I have done steroid in my life – said he, bragging- I have run 4-5 cycles, some MAY have been harsh on my hairline but I never noticed. However, I would say most haven’t. It was my first time with Winstrol - knowing full well its reputation for hair loss, said he, bragging again - I was too optimistic and thought “I’m sure I don’t have the hair loss gene” (while my brothers and father do, which again, shows how much of a genius I am). Also, now that I pay attention to it, I totally lost hair previous to that Winstrol cycle, it’s just I wasn’t sure if it was my normal matured hairline or if I was onboarding the balding train (tchoo tchoo).

For all of you out that has tasked their wife/partner to monitor. I also have asked my wife, roughly once every three days, to closely monitor the hair loss, which was unfruitful as she has always told me “it’s fine”. Let’s say the hair loss was just overshadowed by how lovable I am to my wife …

Strong of my “before picture” I have asked her to take new ones, and I was shocked to realize how much density I’ve lost in so little time. Needless to say, all the experiences from Steroid veterans on forums saying that they never recovered their hair, really put a big dent on my upbeat and positive attitude. I honestly was (and still am) disappointed of myself to suffer such impact from hair loss. I guess my overall happiness and serenity is based on a fragile foundation.

Once I have seen this picture, I have deployed a total warfare against hair loss: Propecia, Minoxidil 5% twice a day, derma rolling (1.5mm once a week, 0.5 mm once a week, and 0.25mm supposedly every day but it is more every 2-3 days). I also bought a scalp massage gadget, which I use twice a day (it vibrates, and I do circular motion on my scalp). I am also thinking of adding the inversion therapy aspect once a day or once EOD.

The right side of my front hairline got hit the hardest and lost 2/3 to 3/4th of my density. the left side maybe half. In 1.5 months of treatment I have some terminal hair regrowth (especially on the left side), a lot of thinner hair, and hundreds of vellus. The vellus even spread to formerly bald area.

I have researched other treatment and procedure, if any of you did the following, I’d be glad you’d share your suggestion. Nowadays, it is too easy to fall within the abyss of marketing bullshit:
    - My dermatologist (who barely checked) told me: IF you have stopped the cause of the thinning (steroid) it will come back. Experienced users said otherwise
    - Hair Transplant: I have been diagnosed to need 1,500-2,000 FUE implant from one clinic (online diagnosis) and 2,500 from another (online as well), more on that below
    - PRP: I am interested to know if I would be a good candidate. Does this help or is it just an overpriced peach-fuzz grower?

- Low Level Light Therapy: I’ve seen a 600$ helmet online using this technology, a bit of a mix review.

The hair transplant diagnostics were both made online, from two clinics based in Lisbon (because I’d like to go visit this city, heard great things about it), will check Budapest and Istanbul also which are known for these procedures. Both diagnostic I had reached 5,000Eur. Which hurts, for a 3.5 weeks stupidity (of no benefit). But more importantly, I am not sure I could just show up to my (uptight) office shaved head.

I have before pictures (which I thought wouldn’t actually be so useful, as “I wouldn’t be losing my hair anyway”), pictures from the time I realized the damage, pictures from “realization” day when I decided to cut my hair (as having them mid-long hid the dark truth), and pictures at 1.5 months post steroid cycle and beginning of hair loss treatment.

Any comment, or sharing of your relevant experiences (and PRP treatment), are welcome!
    Best regards to you all who made it to the end.

UPDATE: It seems that the platform compressed picture upload so the quality is far from allowing to see all the details
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2242.jpg

Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	57970   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2243.jpg

Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	57971   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3282.jpg

Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	57972   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3283.jpg

Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	57973   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3427.jpg

Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	57974   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3691.jpg

Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	57975   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3776.jpg

Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	57977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4344.jpg

Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	57978   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4345.jpg

Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	57979  

One of the picture didn't go through, here it is
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3773.jpg

Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	57984  

Not going to chide you on the use of steroids... there is TONS of information out there... and well, you made your choice. To be honest, I don't know if you were on them long enough for the results to be permanent. My nephew used them for YEARS in college to bulk up with his friends. I don't know what it did to his balls, but I do know that it made him SUPER aggressive, to the point that was arrested for assault. He also went bald... fast.

You may get regrowth, and relief of other symptoms, over time, given the short time you were on them.

I would NOT consider a HT with the small amount of hair loss you have, and your young age.

Hello BaldBearded,
    Thank you for taking the time to read and respond. It is appreciated.

I knew the potential of hair loss from steroid, but to be completely honest, it is even more stupid than that. I used to live in China were I would buy steroid powder for cheap, so I would buy a bit of all kinds in the event that one day I want to use them. I had rather good experience thus far. I wanted to do an Anavar cycle (Oxandrolone, never had any problem from it) not a Winstrol cycle (Stanozolol, never used before). Both labels were in some simplified Chinese symbol (not the entire chemical name, but just a cue to help you know which is which) , I haven' been exposed to for years now to Chinese and couldn't find records of which is which. I was sure that this pack was Oxandrolone. So I am an idiot.

I also thought that there might be so "shortness of exposition" component that I hope will be in my favor. It was also a very mild cycle, but it seems that this steroid is really harsh on hair. But also, I had previous cycles under my belt which likely made my hair very sensitive and fragile (if it works that way, which I am not sure). But I also, now that I pay close attention to it, been balding naturally (it surely has been fast tracked by previous cycle whether I've noticed it or not). I never been aggressive, and had very little side effect (never had aggressiveness, acne, joint issue, gyno etc).

Regarding other symptoms, I am not sure what do you mean by that, I have no other remaining symptom than hair loss. My current "low" sperm volume is due to Propecia and not winstrol.

According to the dermatologist, this would likely recover upon ceasing cycle. I also acted fast with whatever tool I had available (Propecia, Minoxidil, Nizoral) and throw some scalp massage and dermarolling in there, to make sure I'm on the safe side. I have HUNDREDS of vellus (or what looks like vellus for now). I have seen it is a common thing from Minoxidil, but it generally plateau and stay to this vellus situation. I just hope I could find something (whether what I currently use, or some stuffs like PRP and such, but reviews aren't stellar) that would get those vellus back to "hair". If I could even turn half those vellus into terminal hair, I honestly would be completely back to baseline or even more (as my vellus, some of them even turning thicker than vellus) are covering parts of my "bald" area.

But the area that concerns me the most (the one I had a big shed of density), is my goal as of now, if I recover this close to baseline, I am good and woul dhave learned a valuable lesson and would get out wiser from it. Then, maybe, will I bother about getting my hairline a bit lower. But I really don't think I could shave my head with the kind of company I work for.

I have a quick question for any of you wondering here. Apparently, Propecia and Minoxidil take 8-12 months to see the results. But some data shows only 26% of men respond to Minox... Any tell tale signs if one would be likely respond to it or not?

Hi! If you have been taking steroids for a short time and if you are young and your body is healthy, you can try to stop your hair without a hair transplant. You need to restore the regime of sports loads and nutrition to eat as many vitamins as possible. Also, try using burdock oil like https://www.aptekastore.com/en/burdock-oil.html. It helps many to restore hair growth and improve their condition. I think you should try this before doing a hair transplant.