custom vs stock hair system - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default custom vs stock hair system

Hello all.
    I went to a salon and agreed to order an "injection system" as my first unit. I am told it was going to be fully swiss lace base and the attachment would be made with taping the perimeter (I was surprised to hear them say it was okay for exposed hairlines as well...we shall see I guess...). I had my template taken and they cut a small bundle of my hair as sample, but they are waiting for me to decide whether I would prefer custom or stock (they referred to it as "active" units). The sales lady informed me that there really was not noticable difference but it was up to me, and that I would have the advantage of receiving my unit much earlier (a few weeks) than if I would prefer a custom system (2-3 months).

I have a feeling that she is kind of pushing me (albeit in a passive way) towards a stock unit since that would probably be more profitable for them.

Any thoughts?
    P.s. I don't think I have some uncommon type of hair color if matching the color (grey hair etc.) is the main issue in stock systems...

Injected usually refers to how hair is attached on a skin system. On lace they are usually knotted.

You can expose your hairline with lace given a good system.

If you can be patient them I would go for custom so the colour, density and size match. Usually they take 8 weeks. 12-weeks would be odd.

Thanks for the reply.

The salon employee informed me that a stock one would be sent ONLY if there was one ready that matched with the desired color, density etc. and that's why there would not really be any difference. I asked her why even wait for a custom one if there would be no difference and she basically told me it was for "having piece of mind".

There is no difference in the amount they charge - USD 700 - so I guess she may be aiming for some extra profit of ordering a stock one instead of a custom one...

It's extremely expensive especially for my country... but all other salons here seemed like complete jokes. Even though it seemed relatively better, this salon's representatives were actually quite uninformed as they rely on ignorant customers (of my country) and use made up terms and give false information (e.g. they didn't know what a poly thin skin was but spoke as if they did). I guess their Chinese suppliers are decent based on what I've seen, and I do not want to start this without any help until I get the hang of it... so I am kind of awarely getting ripped off... Feeling uneasy but this seems like the best option so far.

I pay $300-$400 depending on choices.

What is your country?

Turkey.

There are good and bad salons/clinics, sellers and chinese manufacturers.

I buy online and then get a local stylist to cut in. I would think in Turkey there is some choice for attaching and cutting in.

If there is then consider buying online - all you need to do is make a template but it will save you a lot.

The end product will definitely be better than a stock system (which is usually for the lazy and emergencies). $700 is waaay too much.

Let me know if you want the details of my supplier and see if they can help. I live in Europe, but they supplied me when I was working in Australia, Hong Kong and USA so I know internationally its ok.

700$ is a rip off ! you can get at least two custom systems for that !

Did you go with a custom system or stock unit? How do you like it?

The only reason you would need a custom piece is if you don’t have the same color hair all over. For example, if you have more grey at the temples or highlights on top, they need to customize that. The price should be about the same but the stock piece will arrive much faster. Don’t let them over charge you just because it’s a custom piece. They are both equal as far as the quality goes.

$700 is too much. I used to work for a wholesale company (I don’t work there anymore) so I know that the stock pieces are just as good. You do get them faster but they cost the exact same price to make so don’t pay more for a custom piece. Also, most pieces will only last you about 2-6 months and then you have to replace them.