Had PRP, shedding, wondering if anyone's shed ever resolved in net gain? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Had PRP, shedding, wondering if anyone's shed ever resolved in net gain?

Hey, Guys! I'm a woman, but the women's forums everywhere are real sleepy and I'm hoping to get some of your experience on this.

Also, I've read the threads about PRP on here, and they don't look great. Unfortunately, thee's not always enough follow-up for me to judge.

I'm 29F and have a history of big hormone-related sheds throughout my teens and twenties, any time I went on or off BCP or had a baby. Had some iron deficiency, corrected that months ago. I think it helped a bit. Thyroid appears normal. I do have a strong family history of thinning.

I thought I'd try PRP before I committed to Minoxidil because I was so afraid of the dread shed. Well, two weeks after my first PRP session (no ACell, with lidocaine, Eclipse machine), my hair started falling out. I'm losing 4 or 5 times as much hair as usual. The doctor wants me to come back for my next scheduled appointment, but I'm not sure that's a great idea since she can't explain why this is happening.

So anyway, now I'm wishing I'd tried other stuff (even if it's associated with a shed), because at least it's cheaper and you have some hope that the shed will stop and your hair will grow back. I have no idea what's happening to me.

What really pisses me off is that when I specifically asked about shedding, everybody at the office was like, no, that doesn't happen, we haven't seen that. And now the doctor is saying, "Come back for your next session. This is part of the process."

Anybody have PRP shedding that resolved in a net gain?

Would anyone who had multiple sessions of PRP suggest I keep going with it? Part of me thinks it's a bad reaction to the lidocaine, and if I tried it without anesthesia I'd be able to tell if it's really the PRP. But then. I also would like to try something that actually works sooner than later, too.

Thanks for your answers! I'm a longtime lurker. I love you guys.

Hey MouseGraft
    Did you ever get any answers for this question anywhere else?
    Did your shedding stop?
    Did you continue with PRP?

Default Still shedding

Quote Originally Posted by Jct View Post
    Hey MouseGraft
    Did you ever get any answers for this question anywhere else?
    Did your shedding stop?
    Did you continue with PRP?
    4.5 months in, I'm still shedding at a higher rate. There's been visible thinning in front and on part. I did have a second session, without lidocaine, which worsened the shedding even further. So it was definitely just pure PRP causing the shedding.

I have no theories on why some people apparently benefit and others get shedding like this. I went into it willing to lose the money on a chance, so I'm not really upset. I do feel stupid, I guess.

I had 2 PRP sessions and I shed like crazy. It was an expensive way to lose more hair. I didn't even realize PRP was still available.

I highly suggest you don't have another.

Quote Originally Posted by MouseGraft View Post
    4.5 months in, I'm still shedding at a higher rate. There's been visible thinning in front and on part. I did have a second session, without lidocaine, which worsened the shedding even further. So it was definitely just pure PRP causing the shedding.

I have no theories on why some people apparently benefit and others get shedding like this. I went into it willing to lose the money on a chance, so I'm not really upset. I do feel stupid, I guess.
    I’m so sorry to hear the outcome you had! I don’t think you should feel stupid at all... We all are so desperate to end this hair loss nightmare. And it does seem to work for some people...?
    When you experienced shed, was it quite soon after procedure? Or months later?
    Did you have loss everywhere or only around areas injections were done?
    Do you know the centrifuge system they used?
    Sorry so many questions... I ask because I’ve had the treatment done twice now. PRP/CRP, which is meant to be done every 3 to 4 to 6 months based on patient needs.
    After my first treatment my shed that I “thought” was bad at the time (150-200 hairs a day) decreased about 2 weeks after treatment and lasted a good 2 months. Things were going well. Then 2 1/2 months after treatment my shed increased like never before! 300-400 hairs a day!
    This shed started end of November which is 3 months after I had started Spironolactone... I have almost non existent testosterone levels and dht levels so it bothered me to be on that stuff to begin with. About a week or 2 before this massive shed a nutritional therapist put me on A TON of supplements without even testing any levels. Some of which have an effect on hormones. I was regretfully on those for a month.
    I’ve been trying to pin down a trigger for this shed.. Spironolactone, PRP/CRP or the crap load of supplements. I know they say look back 3 months, but I’ve also seen some people report responding and shedding quickly after a trigger. Even some docs saying it can vary person to person.
    This most recent shed, I’ve been losing a ton of hair from the back and underneath where there were no injections.. So I wouldn’t think this to be shock loss? As shock loss is usually caused by trauma to follicles or neighboring follicles from the injections?
    I’m just trying to understand the mechanism of shock loss from PRP/CRP...
    I didn’t even lose this much hair when they put me on HRT for 10 weeks and then took me off.
    I will say those supplements made me feel as awful as the hormones so that’s why I considered them to be a possible culprit...
    Or... the Spironolactone I started 3 months prior to this shed. I finally quit Spironolactone after being on it for 4 months because it was such a low dose of 25mg and it was making my acne worse! Tried 50mg and again, made acne worse! Which makes no sense because I literally have the lowest total/free testosterone and dht levels...
    Anyways... Just wondering how you are recovering from your shed from PRP. Hope you are not shedding anymore!
    And was curious about where the shedding took place? All over even where there were no injections? And did it start right away?
    Sorry this is so long and so many questions...

How’s it going? How did things end up going with the PRP? Did you see any results? Do you think the shedding was caused from PRP?

Did anything get better?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Amir Yazdan, MD's Avatar

Some patients can have some shedding after PRP however I have found this to not be very common. Most patients describe decreased shedding and loss after PRP. Its important to understand that because PRP is not standardized, there are many different ways to do it. Only physicians with a lot of experience and large volume of patients will have the experience to know what processing methods work and which dont. It took me almost 3 years of trial and error with hundreds of patients to perfect a method that works for patients in my practice. Below are some videos of how I perform PRP including with hair restoration surgery.

Amir Yazdan, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

hello,
    Can you tell me if you could solve it?

I am facing the same issue now. one month after 1st PRP shedding started. Its been three months now and its really increasing.Almost 200-300 per day

Hey MouseGraft,

Can you tell me if you could solve it?
    Can you tell me if you could stop it and how long did it take?

I am facing the same issue now. one month after 1st PRP shedding started. Its been three months now and its really increasing.Almost 200-300 per day