My Hair Transplant Experience So Far - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default My Hair Transplant Experience So Far

Dear all,

I'm writing this post in the hope that it will cover regularly asked questions and give people an insight as to what to expect during the hair transplant journey.

I had my hair transplant done 36 days ago in Turkey. Ive been thinning on the top for the last 8 years, I'm now 29. People who know me would have no idea I was losing hair because I covered it up so well. In fact, by looking at my hair pre-transplant you might go as far to say that it had a lot of density. That my friends, is the magic of hairspray. I've never been completely bald but I was receding from the front. The hairspray gave my hairstyle a messy look where I was able to cover the gaps and hold it there. I spent everyday trying to style my hair in a way it would hide the baldness. Every morning I would set my alarm 2 hours early before work because it would take me so damn long just to style it. It's pathetic when I think of the amount of time I've spent in the morning's trying to style it but I was so self conscious at how I looked. It effected my social life more than anyone knows. I stopped going out afraid that somebody would mess my hair or that string winds would blow it all over the place revealing my shiny scalp. I stopped playing football. It sounds moronic as to these reasons why but confidence can be a double edged sword.

I spent hours on end researching how to prevent hair loss, diets for hair loss, products to cover hair loss.. You name it. It became an obsession. I HATED getting a haircut because once that spray and scissors touched my hair, it became visibly clear to everyone in the room I was balding and usually resulted in the hairdresser saying "you hide it well".

About four years ago I started using Alpecin caffeine shampoo together with biotin pills and this actually did slow down the hair loss quite considerably. My hair became thicker and there were less hairs dangling around my toes at the end of each shower I still use them both religiously to this day.

Anyway, moving on. About two years ago all the hair maintenance became too much for me so I bit the bullet and started my research on hairtransplants. The main reason that I didn't look into one sooner was because getting time off work for recovery would be an issue. That, and I didn't know how long the recovery would take and again, I was too self consciousabout people noticing that I had a hair transplant.

I won't bore you with the lead up to the hair transplant but I booked it 6 month's in advance and the patient rep was beyond fantastic. She stayed in touch with me over the 6 months and was incredibly efficient. The main reason I booked it that far in advance is because I decided to take a career break for one year and travel Europe. What better way to start the trip than with a hair transplant, right? The surgeon I picked had multiple 5 star reviews on Realself as did the clinic and other consultants that worked there. It cost 2,300 Euro for close to 3000 grafts.

Fast forward to post op. Ouch! Before I go on, let me tell you this. In my 29 year's I've had a few procedures done, broken my wrist and my ankle, had my collar bone and rib cage tattood quite considerably, hell, I even had my pecker circumcised two years ago due to medical reasons and let me tell you, morning wood was absolute torture for about two weeks! But out of everything, this hair transplant was the worst, by far! I've heard people say it's relatively painless... Not in my case. And I have an amazing tolerance for pain. The anesthetic was fairly uncomfortable being injected but once it started wearing off during the harvesting, dear god I thought I'd have no teeth left after grinding them so hard. Then the sleeping. Honestly, I didn't sleep properly for over a week due to being in so much pain. Waking up with dry blood stuck to the pillow and my head every morning is a memory Id rather forget. My facial swelling was so bad that I looked like the elephant man. Overall, the surgical experience was a nasty one and I will never have a hair transplant done again even if I start to bald again.

After the hellish couple of weeks were over I entered the "constantly checking my hair every 5 seconds" phase. Are my grafts shedding? Will this hair grow back? Has my doner area experienced shock loss? Has it been over harvested? When will the redness go away. Let me tell you this. If you're going through with a hair transplant, it WILL get worse before it gets better and it completly depends of the person in terms of recovery and growth.

I'm now 5 weeks out and thankfully the worst is over. I'm still quite red on the right doner side which I knew I would be as that was the most painful part of the harvest where most hairs were taken from. It would be less visible if I let my hair grow but I've shaved the back and sides twice with a 2" since having the hair transplant to try and even it out when the top. I'm quite lucky in the regard that a good percentage of my transplanted hair at the front had actually stayed in and started to grow now with my natural hair. I visited my consultant last week and he seemed quite impressed and said I was in the 5 percent of people that this happens to. But I have my doubts. We'll see in another two weeks if it's still there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2771.jpg

Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	57826  

As for post op care. Im only continuing with my caffeine shampoo and biotin pills.

I took Propecia for a couple of weeks and had nasty side effects so stopped immediately. My skin developed horrible acne and became incredibly oily. My semen was also watery. It's safe to say that I've an 8 month supply at the bottom of my suitcase where it will stay forever more. That's the best place for it.

That pain sounds intense! Looks good...glad it worked out.

Default Week 6

Week 6. I'm still waiting for more hair to start shedding but it doesn't seem to be happening. If anything it seems to be getting thicker. Finger's crossed it continues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2932.jpg

Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	57905  

It's in your head that it's getting thicker. The hair has to shed and regrow and that takes months. 6 weeks is far too early.