+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

minoxidil worked for me (kind of) but it didn't stop the progression of my hairline thinning. I didn't see much of a difference when I applied it to my hairline corners, but I know it has an effect because I applied it along my vertical sideburns and got new vellus hairs sprouting there that were much easier to see. So it probably keeps my vellus hairs alive, but it certainly didn't stop further miniaturisation. Proscar seemed to work about 3 months in (no regrowth but my hair seemed thicker overall and easier to style; shedding also became non-existent for about 2 weeks). Then recently I'm undergoing a shed from hell and my hairline is now thinner than baseline. My corners are basically bald, and I can't style my hair the usual way anymore. It's been 1.5 months, and has finally seemed to slow down, but I can't tell anymore if fin is working for me. But i have nothing left to do except wait out the next couple of months and see.

Do you have images that show visible decline from baseline or are you basing this on shedding? You should take photos at regular intervals to determine where you are relative to baseline, focusing on shedding will trick you. Also, it works a lot better on midscalp and crown than hairline. So you may continue to recede. That does not mean the drug is not working.

Quote Originally Posted by KO1 View Post
    Do you have images that show visible decline from baseline or are you basing this on shedding? You should take photos at regular intervals to determine where you are relative to baseline, focusing on shedding will trick you. Also, it works a lot better on midscalp and crown than hairline. So you may continue to recede. That does not mean the drug is not working.
    I keep a pretty regular photo diary

edit: i should mention though that i've only been on proscar 5.5 months, originally 0.625mg/day, but I boosted my dosage to 0.83mg/day about 2 weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by KO1 View Post

Photos are an excellent way to show results. I completely agree. They show
    a lot more than words do.

This is just my own experience with Minoxidil. Everybody is different.

The effects weren't permanent with Minoxidil for me, as far as the hairline.

In my own experience, when I was twenty, two percent regrew my entire hairline (
    about a half inch/inch of baldness, or 2.5 centimeters). And it became terminal.

The problem for me was I skipped some years without taking medication.

But I think this has more to do with the fact I was recently balding, and Minoxidil
    needs terminal hair in the area to work.

This is just my own personal story. Everybody is different though.