+ Reply to Thread

Default Panicking over nothing? (Pics)

Hi everyone,

So recently someone joked about my hair "thinning fast" for the first time (I'm 21 for context), safe to say it unnerved me and reaction in the last couple of days has been a wee bit pathetic, panicking and checking daily etc. etc. (not my finest moment I'll admit!)

Doing that I came across this site and thought it would be a good place to show my concern. Basically in my fear-induced checking I discovered a thin-ish patch on the crown. It may have been there for ages but since I've only just discovered it it has scared me. So I ask, am I panicking over nothing or do people think this is a sign of something more?

Happy to post more pics/info if people can't tell from this and thanks for everyone's patience and help!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Optimized-20180610_124814.jpg

Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	57690Click image for larger version

Name:	Optimized-Screenshot_20180610-125526_Snapchat.jpg

Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	57691Click image for larger version

Name:	Optimized-20180610_124735.jpg

Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	57692

Your hair seems to be wet, wet hair clumps together and enhances your bald spots. Try to take a pic of it when dry

Inactive

First and foremost, your panicked reaction is extremely common and expected. I've definitely been there, as I'm sure nearly every single person on this forum who has experienced even the smallest hint of hair loss has as well. So in that regard, let yourself off the hook in regards to how you reacted. You're in great company.

It does look like the beginning of thinning... BUT... and this is a huge BUT... In this day and age, know that it's not necessarily indicative of a death sentence for your hair. So don't panic and try not to obsess about it too much. In situations like this where we feel like something is happening to us that is out of our control, I find it's very helpful to be able to do something actionable that gives us back a sense of power. So start researching about the different ways one can battle hair loss. The unfortunate reality is that it's something that is going to hit the vast majority of men at some point in our lives. So use this forum and others (Hair Restoration Network is another good resource) to educate yourself about the entire process. You'll find countless examples of men who have experienced various levels of hair loss and have managed to overcome it in some way.

Find a doctor who specializes in MPB who can also help guide you in the right direction. There are medications you can take (Finasteride, Rogaine, etc.) and also hair transplants are a very effective way to combat hair loss - even though you are no where near that stage at this point - and may not be for quite some time, if ever.

Once you start getting the ball rolling and gaining a sense of control with something that can otherwise leave you feeling hopeless, you'll start to navigate the stressful feelings you're currently feeling a lot better.

I hope that's of some help.... And seriously... DON'T PANIC. )))

Ps. It's also a good idea not to analyze your hair every day. Take pictures once every two weeks at the most, and also keep in mind that our hair goes through a natural shedding phase, so there will always be times when your hair is thinner than others. This is normal and natural and nothing to be alarmed about.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My opinions/comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.