+ Reply to Thread

Default What are your opinions on FUE relative to FUT

I am currently a 30 year old with a NW2.5/N3 pattern of hairloss. Unfortunately I have a very large forehead so most of the hairstyles that look good for someone with my pattern, do not look good one me. As such, I have been looking into getting a hair transplant. I have consulted with Dr. Rahal and he is recommending 1200 grafts.

He gave me the option between FUE and FUT, and I am currently leaning towards the former. I like the idea of being able to eventually shave my head if my resources are depleted. How much truth is there to the yield being poorer for FUE? Dr. Rahal stated that there was no difference between the two. I know that he is one of the most renowned surgeons in the world so I do feel in good hands, but I wanted to get some opinions on this sub.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JSmyth View Post
    I am currently a 30 year old with a NW2.5/N3 pattern of hairloss. Unfortunately I have a very large forehead so most of the hairstyles that look good for someone with my pattern, do not look good one me. As such, I have been looking into getting a hair transplant. I have consulted with Dr. Rahal and he is recommending 1200 grafts.

He gave me the option between FUE and FUT, and I am currently leaning towards the former. I like the idea of being able to eventually shave my head if my resources are depleted. How much truth is there to the yield being poorer for FUE? Dr. Rahal stated that there was no difference between the two. I know that he is one of the most renowned surgeons in the world so I do feel in good hands, but I wanted to get some opinions on this sub.

Thanks
    on average the yield is lower. How much lower depends on the DR removing the grafts but plenty of top notch surgeons have stated the yield is lower. That being said the difference might not be noticeable. With a top dr no reason you shouldn't be able to pull off a 2 guard cut and not notice the FUE scars maybe even a 1, but you will see the scars if you shave to the skin or with a no guard which is what is required to not see the horshoe pattern. The only real issue with FUE would be your overall total amount of grafts that can be moved is going to be lower than a couple of FUT's and then FUE.

Quote Originally Posted by pajason View Post
    on average the yield is lower. How much lower depends on the DR removing the grafts but plenty of top notch surgeons have stated the yield is lower. That being said the difference might not be noticeable. With a top dr no reason you shouldn't be able to pull off a 2 guard cut and not notice the FUE scars maybe even a 1, but you will see the scars if you shave to the skin or with a no guard which is what is required to not see the horshoe pattern. The only real issue with FUE would be your overall total amount of grafts that can be moved is going to be lower than a couple of FUT's and then FUE.
    Are you familiar with Dr. Rahal's FUE work? Do you think I should consider going through with it?

A lot of patients still request FUT, so we try and balance the results we post between both procedure types. It's nice for potential patients to see the outcome of both options. Today, I would say that the majority of people seeking HT work with Dr Rahal are choosing FUE. These days, we're using punch diameters in the .75mm - .8mm range and we've only gone that small after finding that consistent yield is possible.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Here are two recent FUE results.

Regarding yield: for most patients, yield is the same whether it's FUE or FUT. For some, extraction can be more challenging, and this impacts yield. We know once we start.

Most people forget that planting is just as important if not more so for outcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FUE2024.jpg

Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	57647   Click image for larger version

Name:	FUE2728.jpg

Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	57648  
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks for the response. You mentioned that it will become apparent if there will be issues at the time of starting the procedure, have you ever seen an instance where a decision was made to pursue a different technique than what was initially scheduled?

These results are incredible, but I've always wondered how ones that don't get posted stack up.

What percentage of patients are usually happy with their results?

FUT (Follicular Unit Transplant):

This technique is one of the oldest hair transplant method which is still popular nowadays due to the results.
    People that are suffering from permanent hair loss, or male and female pattern baldness, hair thinning etc. FUT involves removing a strip from the donor area and planting it on the bald area.
    The extracted follicle strip is divided with care to obtain single grafts, which will be planted into your bald area of scalp.
    The donor area will be stitched by the surgeon.
    A thin linear scar will be seen from the region where the follicles were removed.
    Usually the recovery time is around 3-4 weeks along with bed rest for first week after the transplant.

UT (Follicular Unit Transplant)

Advantages :
    You will have a natural look after the surgery
    The hair that has been transplanted will last for the rest of your life.
    In FUT, you can get transplantation of more grafts in a single session.
    FUT cost is relatively low.
    Disadvantages :
    It will leave a linear scar at the donor region.
    As the surgery involves stitches, the recovery time is more and you have to take extra care of it.

2. FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction):

The FUE hair transplant London is the most advance technique for hair transplant. This treatment involves extraction of grafts rather than a strip of skin from the donor area.
    The follicles extracted can be transplanted directly without storing them in a saline solution. The thickness of the follicles is usually around 1mm.
    The follicles which are finer will be placed in hairline for a neat look and the thicker grafts will be transplanted in the mid-region of the scalp.
    The scars left will be only like pinhole in the donor region.
    In FUE, the recovery period is around 2-3 weeks.
    Only pinhole scars are left behind in the donor areas after the procedure.
    The recovery period is approximately 2-3 weeks.

FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction)

Advantages:

This technique will not cause linear scar like that in FUT method, hence it will make it look natural.
    There is a special tool designed to remove the hair follicles and transplanting on the bald region of the scalp.
    The pain is less.
    The recovery is quicker.

Disadvantages

A lot of time is taken to extract each graft and the effort of the surgeon is doubled.
    It is relatively expensive.

So, after considering both the treatments, I would suggest you to go for FUE, though it costs more than FUT but the benefits offset the cost.