Threaded View

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Jeffrey Epstein, MD's Avatar

I welcome hudson's comments, some of which are quite relevant, provided they are in fact true.
    As a board certified facial plastic surgeon who spent 5 years in a head and neck surgery residency followed by a full year of facial plastic surgery fellowship where I trained under one of the top hair surgeons of all time, Dr. Shelly Kabaker, I can respect the importance of receiving extensive surgical training as a strong background in this aesthetic field. I also know however that in my 16 years of private practice, performing over 500 procedures a year- of which 150 or more are FUE) there are three critical elements to achieiving truly outstanding results that cannot be taught in a several month period of training: an aesthetic eye, experience in hairline design by accounting for facial structure, and passion; and in fact sometimes these cannot be taught at all. My associate, Dr. Glenn Charles, is an example of this. These three elements, all together, are possessed, to varying degrees, by the doctors that Spencer has assembled in his unique recommended list.
    The NeoGraft is a device. It does not assure good surgical outcomes, no more than giving a general surgeon a "bone cutting device" then calling him an orthopedic surgeon, or a vascular surgeon a "heart device" then calling him a cardiac surgeon. Now I understand that a hair transplant is not a cardiac bypass, or for that matter, not even a rhinoplasty (the most challenging of all cosmetic surgery procedures in my opinion), but still, performed unaesthetically (poor angulation of grafts, non-irregular hairline design, inadvertent transection of existing hairs, etc) a hair transplant can have devastating outcomes for the patient, as some of the posts on this site can attest to.
    I do believe that most of the relatively "new" hair transplant doctors being trained in the NeoGraft do not aspire to being a world leader in the hair transplant field, but are hoping to achieve consistent, nice results for their patients. I truly feel that, while there is an economic incentive to adding these procedures (and there better be a financial return to justify the cost of the device), they are seeking to provide their patients with aesthetic results. Here it is the responsibility of the patient to do his/her homework and choose the surgeon who will meet his/her expectations.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
    Miami and NYC
    Last edited by Jeffrey Epstein, MD; 07-03-2010 at 06:11 AM. Reason: left out a sentence
    Jeffrey S. Epstein, MD
    Foundation For Hair Restoration