+ Reply to Thread

Default Balding at 20. Need some advice

Hey guys I am a 20 year old male who is experiencing a mild pattern of baldness. My hairline is fine. The problem is my hair is thinning on the top and my crown has begun to show. At the moment I take biotin and massage my scalp with coconut oil.

I would like to know if I should start using rogaine, whether or not would it help my hair on the top of my head get thick?

Or should I continue using coconut oil and consume biotin?

And by judging the looks of the picture I uploaded. How many more years do I have till I lose all the year on the top
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180524_152609.jpg

Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	57302  

Hard to tell from the picture, but your hair looks nice and thick. I do think you could use better products though. In our experience, coconut oil is not effective, I think you may be going for the omegas, which are a good idea. However there are better products for omegas, I use CBD oil (from hemp) as it has a similar amount of omegas but also thickens my hair. I'd take pictures every 90 days or so, more often if you feel its increasing. We wouldnt even consider giving a surgical option just due to your age. Our Doc feels that its too soon, you havent physiologically matured completely, and it can be hard to predict the future. You hair loss may stop, etc....too many variables. In my opinion, I'd consider a product like finasteride or minoxidil ( sorry if I misspelled) but again there are issues with those too. You basically cant go off without losing most of the hair it helped grow. Biotin did nothing for me, complete waste of money, I'm afraid there are no products out there OTC that match the results that pharmacology has to offer. Shampoos, oils, supplements etc.. serve as stop gap measures for most. There are folks who need nothing more, but in my 30 years in medicine I have seen very few. The good news is your hair looks nice and thick, your still young, get informed, do the research, consider a free consultation with a clinic as there is no person better than an experienced tech or physician to confirm you are actually losing hair at an atypical rate. Take regular pics, post them, people on this forum are great. Right now, I wouldnt let the fear of hair loss stop you from enjoying your social life, going after that girl you like, whatever. I've seen much much worse. Go out and enjoy your twenties. Keep posting. Good luck buddy but you may be your own worst critic. I am not a physician, but I represent one. We have been devoted to helping folks for almost 30 years now.

Definitely agree with @hairlossjedi. Something else to consider is your diet - make sure you're getting lots of protein, omega 3, iron zinc, biotin and fatty acids in your food as they are all crucial to healthy hair. So that's basically things like salmon, sweet potatoes, spinach, nuts, oats, avocado and even dark chocolate. For someone like you who is in the early stages, eating all the important vitamins and minerals that your hair needs can be a big help for hair growth and maintaining your current hair.

Since my hair is a bit long. Should I cut my hair short then use minoxidil? Due to shedding?

Hey I too start noticing slight hair loss at the age of 20. I tripped out a little bit, so I tried everything I could without touching propicia or a transplant. I tried natural shampoos, bioten, oils, and around 21 started minoxidil. I’m 25 now and still have hair most people can’t really notice, but I’m still self conscious about it. It’s slowly gotten worse, but thank god I still have hair. I recently started taking .5 mg of finistride, also might be getting an Igrow soon. My advice is research everything before trying a product. My regime currently .5mg fin, bioten, saw palmetto, once a day Rogaine (recently went down from twice a day), wash my hair every other day (I have dandruff issues), twice a week onion juice and coconut oil, massage my scalp daily. Wish you the best, hope this helped.

It's not common issue, but it can happen. If none of your parents or grandparents of relatives have it, then that's pretty strange though, it typically runs in families. So, here's a list of the best hair oils that would aid in faster hair growth.

• Castor Hair Oil
    • Bhringraj Oil
    • Olive Oil
    • Sesame Oil
    • Argan Oil
    • Jojoba Oil
    • Coconut Oil