+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Telogen hairloss or early MPB?

Hey guys, first time posting to the forum but Ive been reading threwds here for the past month or so. So to preface my story, Im currently 19 years old and experiencing some thinning. I had lost a large amount of weight (went from 220lbs to 150lbs which I haden’t weighed close to since I quit hockey freshman year of highschool) and developed an eating disorder in doing so. basically up until December I limited myself to about 1300-1500 calories a day. Well around christmas this year I noticed you could see the top of my head through my hair in some pictures where I was standing under direct light. Since then Ive managed to return to normal eating and eat extremely healthy consuming around 2500 calories a day, and have got my weight to be stable at 165lbs since April. My hair had been very patchy on top and somewhat on the sides, with only the area above the nape of my neck being really uneffected. My hairline also seemed to be uneffected. One other thing that may have started the hairloss is my addiction to nicotine which I have also quit cold turkey as well. For a while I was vaping 2 Juul pods a day which is the equivilant of over 50 cigarettes a day. I had started that in september. I feel like Ive had some regrowth, and at the very least the shedding seems to have stopped. Ill attach a picture of my hair pulled apart and my hairline. Does this seem like telogen effluvium loss or permanent damage? Attachment 57290Attachment 57291

Figure Id post what my hair looks like in neutral lighting. It looks peetty presentable in normal lighting while combed but I think because its so long it covers most of the patchyness. The earlier pictures were taken in the harsh light of my bathroom mirror. Also sorry for any misspellings in the original post, I was in a rush.Attachment 57292

Attachment 58117Heres a quick update on my hair as of 2 months later. It seems to be improving so Im assuming its telogen effluvium loss.

Default another update

tried to get the same angle and took the photo under the same lights as the first. I think its steadily improving. Ive been keeping up with an improved diet and have been taking food based suppliments including biotin. No rogaine or propecia or anything like that. I’d really appreciate anyone elses opinion! Thanks. Attachment 58525

If it was bulimia that can cause what you have and take a while for your hair to recover. Anyone in your family have hair loss?

Hey I have that exact same thinning occuring right now. Did u notice a sudden shedding occuring spanning 2-3 months? Also did u have dandruff? Or other scalp itch?

My dad started losing his hair in his 50s, my uncle on my mothers side has hair loss but he started losing it after having a thyroid condition. I don't know the grandpa on my dads side but the grandpa on my mom's had a full head of hair up to his death. I think the year of poor eating may have caused it. For a while I could comb my hair stright down from the back and I could see the top of my scalp through the cracks in my hair. Now I can do the same without seeing my scalp, but its still somewhat thin. Im just hoping the rest comes back and that this doesnt somehow kickstart mpb!

Interestingly I had horrible scalp psoriasis around the age of 12 and scarring from it caused some hair loss for me back then, luckily it grew back. I still have occasional flare ups so I dont know if my scalp itch would be related to this loss or not.

For me I have low density in the exact spot as URS. I've also noticed reasonable thinning in the area above my ears. In my case my shedding got extreme as soon as my dandruff came back later may. I'm hoping it's TE. My dad is bald as hell. His brothers like 8-4 years younger still have hair with just a bald patch. My maternal side has my grandpa dead at 65 with a Norwood 4-5. My maternal uncle is around the same spot, but he's morbidly obese, and has been drinking heavily since his twenties. For me if I comb all my hair forward the skin is only visible near my crown only in intense light. TBH... I can't go bald at 17 lmao... I ****ing hope

Default 4 month update

here’s a quick update, I really tried to get the same angle and lighting as the original post. Ive added a mixture of topical castor oil, jojoba oil and rosemary extract along with head massages to increase blood flow. I dont want to use minox because I often have bad side effects with strong drugs. I believe theres been some regrowth so thats good to see. I was worried it was MPB (and still am a little bit since most of the thinning is on the top of my head) but I believe the regrowth Ive seen has ruled that out. Attachment 58912