Threaded View

Unhappy Thinking About Giving Up The Piece

Hi everyone. This is my first time reaching out to a community in this way for advise.

I'm 31 years old now and I started losing my hair noticeably at around 18. It was pretty devastating to me at the time and really lowered my confidence level. When switching jobs and moving to a new place, I decided to start wearing a human-hair piece.

I work at a medical facility and have been there for 4 years now. Part of my job is supplying medical items to each unit and delivering ordered items to the end-users. So I pretty much walk around all day and know every single person in the building. 8 Floors full of people...

I really just feel like I've been living a lie. I wanted to boost my confidence by looking better, but since I know that my hair isn't real and that if I ever grow too close to anyone I'll have to divulge the secret to them (they would find out eventually), my confidence is still about the same level of low!

Not to mention all of the costs associated with buying new pieces, all of the work that goes into styling it naturally, not being able to swim or do any water sports, dreading windy days that could mess my hair up... it's just becoming exhausting.

My choices are to keep on living in this manner or to tell everyone I know that I've been misleading them all these years. Friends and coworkers may no longer respect me as an individual and that would be very tough to face all at once!

I realize that surgical hair transplanting could be an option for certain people. I do in fact still have a little hair on the top of my head and quite a lot on the sides. Not certain if it's possible for me though or how effective that method is.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!