Thinking About Giving Up The Piece - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Unhappy Thinking About Giving Up The Piece

Hi everyone. This is my first time reaching out to a community in this way for advise.

I'm 31 years old now and I started losing my hair noticeably at around 18. It was pretty devastating to me at the time and really lowered my confidence level. When switching jobs and moving to a new place, I decided to start wearing a human-hair piece.

I work at a medical facility and have been there for 4 years now. Part of my job is supplying medical items to each unit and delivering ordered items to the end-users. So I pretty much walk around all day and know every single person in the building. 8 Floors full of people...

I really just feel like I've been living a lie. I wanted to boost my confidence by looking better, but since I know that my hair isn't real and that if I ever grow too close to anyone I'll have to divulge the secret to them (they would find out eventually), my confidence is still about the same level of low!

Not to mention all of the costs associated with buying new pieces, all of the work that goes into styling it naturally, not being able to swim or do any water sports, dreading windy days that could mess my hair up... it's just becoming exhausting.

My choices are to keep on living in this manner or to tell everyone I know that I've been misleading them all these years. Friends and coworkers may no longer respect me as an individual and that would be very tough to face all at once!

I realize that surgical hair transplanting could be an option for certain people. I do in fact still have a little hair on the top of my head and quite a lot on the sides. Not certain if it's possible for me though or how effective that method is.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Can you post some picture without the hair-piece on? I think people will be shocked at first but after seeing you a few times they will get use to it and it will be no big deal. I don't think it is a viable option as you get older and start getting grey hair to match the hair-piece to the greying hair...that would be a pain. Most of the bad ones are on older guys and they just look stupid. So my advice is to do it now and get it over with. Maybe go to a stylist and tell her/him what you are planning on doing and see if they can cut whats left to make you look the best you can.

I just bought a high-quality lace, custom hair system. I can't come off, I can swim, shower, exercise and even have sex in it. Wind does the same to it, as with any other hair. I have no idea of what you are wearing, or whom you got it from, but a well-fitted hair system is undetectable to the eye, and should not stop you from doing anything. And, my hair is 100% real, human hair.

I started wearing mine after going around with a shaved head for 24 years. I love it, everyone thinks it's cool.

Women, do all sorts of things, extensions, dye, weaves, wiglets, etc. They also wear Spanx, and push-up bras. So why can't a man do a single ****ing thing to cover up his baldness without some massive guilt trip?

I don't see how a transplant is any different, other than the pain, and cost, and the possibility of it NOT looking good, or you losing more hair and you are stuck without options.

You want to shave your head, and ditch the system, go ahead. I don't understand the need to "tell" or not "tell" anyone? Sex partners, sure, "hey babe, watch the hair, please". But, everyone else? Do people wear a sign (hey, I wear dentures), I don't think so. I also think that no one you work with really cares if your hair is grown or purchased.

mrclean - I've posted pics. I'm not getting grey hairs yet on the sides, but you are right in that regards... that would be troublesome down the road! Not too much a stylist could do I don't think. Would you think I'd have to go clean shaven in my case? I have seen men shave the surrounding hair down to keep some short dark around the edges. Doesn't look too bad on some people... me I suspect it will look like shit!

BaldBearded - Thanks for posting your viewpoint on the matter! I use a real-human mesh piece that does look quite real. It clips onto my side hair (3 clips) and I tape the front where I have no hair. I just feel that if someone finds themselves attracted to you, your hair is part of the reason. Telling that person after a few weeks or even months (Heck, some famous stars didn't tell their wives for years!) is misleading and awkward. Just my opinion though. I see where your coming from with the double standard regarding women and men. Bald women are out there but you never see them! I know I wouldn't appreciate a woman wearing a pump up bra or wearing inserts just to make you believe that they have big breasts only to find out, they don't have large breasts. Even if I really liked her personality and didn't care what her size was, the fact that she's the type of person that would purposely mislead you to try and "trap" you into a relationship is a turnoff for me personally.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	41353729185_ff51ebc69d_z.jpg

Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	57255   Click image for larger version

Name:	28382030098_2772237dc7_z.jpg

Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	57256   Click image for larger version

Name:	40448157270_5d0abea9a6_z.jpg

Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	57257  

Clips and tape? Human mesh sounds really old school. I have never even heard the term "Human Mesh" used, I wonder if it's monofilament, which no one uses anymore. Same with clips. A decent salon would have shaved the thinning hair from the top and used tape around the back and sides, and adhesive for the front.

I could NOT imagine walking around with something clipped to my bio hair. Actually, all of my bio hair is shaved, as I have a shaved, undercut style. My system uses 100% adhesive. Even a salon employee said I was lying when I told her it was a system. I had to show her before pics.

Oh, and I meant push-up bra, not a pump-up bra. So no make-up, either? High heels?

You look like you have a nicely shaped head so i don't think it will look bad. Just keep the sides short. Still have a lot of hair that could be salvaged if they come with something that works soon like replicel.

Maybe go on vacation get a nice tan and then show up to work without the piece.

If it makes you happy wear one. I can usually spot em a mile away though, for me it was only a surgical procedure that fit my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldBearded View Post
    Oh, and I meant push-up bra, not a pump-up bra. So no make-up, either? High heels?
    I mean it is in a species nature to attract a mate by using attractive colors and extravagant features. Humans are no exception to this. The difference to me is: Some things you expect and can physically identify such as make-up and high heels. You know they're making themselves look a certain way. It's the things that you can't tell are real or fake that are misleading like a piece or bra inserts.

I feel like when I choose to wear a hat of hair, by not telling people that it's a piece I'm basically lying to the world. I want hair but I don't have it. I want large muscles but I wouldn't (for example) put on some synthetic muscular arm pieces so that it looks like I'm Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Again, this is just my personal opinion. It's the way I feel and one of the reasons I want to just accept what I really look like and how I present myself to others.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean View Post
    Maybe go on vacation get a nice tan and then show up to work without the piece.
    That's not a bad idea actually! I was planning a trip to somewhere warm this November. 6 months is a little ways to wait, but that could be a set time to remove the piece permanently. I still have to think about it.

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions so far!

Post pics WITH the piece