Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BoSox
    • Jun 2010

Drug for osteoporosis could cure baldness

Good news. Baldness could be a thing in the past. Again. For the 100th time in the last 10 years.

Yayyyyyy 😒
  • clee984
    • Feb 2010

This story is on the bbc too, the project leader said that "this could make a real difference to people with hair loss":

The lead researcher says the discovery could "make a real difference to people".

Comment

• Reaumur
      • May 2014

Saw this too.

Here’s the actual study:

Author summary Hair loss is a common disorder and can lead to psychological distress. Cyclosporine A, a fungal metabolite commonly used as an immunosuppressant, can potently induce hair growth in humans. However, it cannot be effectively used to restore hair growth because of its toxic profile. In this study, we used Cyclosporine A as a lead compound to identify novel therapeutic targets that can aid the development of new hair growth–promoting agents. Through microarray analysis, we found that the level of the secreted Wnt inhibitor, SFRP1, was significantly reduced by Cyclosporine A. This inspired us to design a new pharmacological approach that uses WAY-316606, a reportedly well-tolerated and specific antagonist of SFRP1, to prolong the growth phase of the hair cycle. We show that WAY-316606 enhances human hair growth ex vivo, suggesting that it is a more targeted hair growth promoter with the potential to treat human hair loss disorders.

Comment

• beetee
        • Nov 2013

Supposedly this Italian pharmaceutical company called Giuliani will be "trying" to get WAY-316606 into human trials. I think this company also paid for the original experiments conducted at Manchester University. I looked at their website, they seem kind of iffy to me but feel free to check it out and get your own impressions.

The Guardian has reported the intriguing drug WAY-316606, which was originally developed for osteoporosis, may soon be entering human hair growth clinical trials with the help of an Italian pharmaceutical company. I was pleasantly surprised to find some worthwhile information in the latest “mainstream media baldness cure” article published by The Guardian today. I should…

Comment

• saytrue72
          • Mar 2019

Hi,

I'm new to this forum so hi to all.

Has anyone looked at trying this formulation? I am considering a trial in the next 2 weeks and would be interested in hearing from anyone who has already trialled it.

Comment

• PatientlyWaiting
            • Jan 2011

Any updates on this?

Comment

• BoSox
              • Jun 2010

Patiently waiting for an update

Comment

• Anton5redA
                • Apr 2016

I have just bought 3 grams of A WAY-316606. When it arrives, I am going to make a 20 mM solution by adding 11mL of DMSO to 100 mg of WAY-316606 in a 12mL syringe. I will probably apply it to the forehead and temples at the same time with the topical finasteride dissolved in Serioxyl that I currently use. I have read that Minoxidil does not work for the temples and the hairline, so this will be my growth stimulant for the front, along with the rest of the salp.

Comment

Working...