Potential new hair loss drug - Does anyone have more info on this?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reaumur
    • May 2014

Potential new hair loss drug - Does anyone have more info on this?

Hey guys,

Just saw an article about a new hair loss drug that had very good results in mice (yeah, I know, it’s always the mice) that uses the Wnt pathway. Curious if anyone else has heard about this and/or has any more info. I’ve linked the study.

Author summary Hair loss is a common disorder and can lead to psychological distress. Cyclosporine A, a fungal metabolite commonly used as an immunosuppressant, can potently induce hair growth in humans. However, it cannot be effectively used to restore hair growth because of its toxic profile. In this study, we used Cyclosporine A as a lead compound to identify novel therapeutic targets that can aid the development of new hair growth–promoting agents. Through microarray analysis, we found that the level of the secreted Wnt inhibitor, SFRP1, was significantly reduced by Cyclosporine A. This inspired us to design a new pharmacological approach that uses WAY-316606, a reportedly well-tolerated and specific antagonist of SFRP1, to prolong the growth phase of the hair cycle. We show that WAY-316606 enhances human hair growth ex vivo, suggesting that it is a more targeted hair growth promoter with the potential to treat human hair loss disorders.
  • mrclean
    • Jan 2017

This stuff has been talked about since the 90s. Don't think it is going anywhere because of its safety profile.

Comment

• Reaumur
      • May 2014

They actually mention that in the study. Supposedly WAY-316606 has a better toxicity profile than CsA without the immunosuppressive activity (if I read it right). I guess time will tell. (5-10 years lol)

As always, cautiously optimistic

Comment

• JulioGP
        • Feb 2013

I believe this substance may be available in KaneShop, just like the UK, before all the necessary tests that take years.

Comment

Working...