+ Reply to Thread

Default Q from a newbie: are any natural treatments effective?

I'm 35 and started losing my hair at 21. For 10 years I used 2% Rogaine and it worked great - maintained my hair, and I maybe had even a little regrowth. I noticed, though, that during the last year or so I was using it that I felt some angina (heart pain) whenever I applied it, and my doctor told me that's a rare but real side effect of minoxidil. I quit using it and the pain disappeared. I decided at that moment to only attempt natural treatments, since it's better to have my health than my hair (though I must admit I don't always feel that way!). I found a recipe for Zix II, which seemed to work OK - it slowed my loss, but didn't stop it like the minox. I've been using it for the last 3 years, but it has started to quickly lose it's effectiveness (I also use Nizoral shampoo). In the last couple days I've been trying to research natural treatments, but for the life of me I can't figure out what may be legit and what is a hoax. Revivogen, Tricomin, LLLT, Retin-a, Spironolactone, etc... it seems like for every positive thing I read about any of these there are 3 people who call it a scam. I'm not looking for a miracle cure - I know that Propecia and Minox are the only two treatments proven to work - but for my own peace of mind, I'd like to at least TRY something that may help, instead of just giving up. I'd say I'm a Norwood 3A. Thanks for any suggestions.

Default ...and just a PS...

... and this is just my opinion, but I really do think there are natural cures out there that work, but the problem is that when someone finds something and it really works, they never come back to these threads. And why should they? I know I'm only posting here because my hair loss is bugging the heck out of me, probably just like 95% of the other posters here. When I had a treatment - minox - that was working I never searched these forums because it was never on my mind. Too bad there's not a forum titled "Such and such worked for me and I'm here one last time to tell you what it is before I start spending my time in the Hot Rod/NFL/Investments/Movies/etc Forums!" But maybe I'm wrong, I dunno.

Y don you try propecia? it works grt and you don need to worry abt styling ur hair like you had to when u use minox.

if you only wanna try natural cure, then the best I have heard is saw Palmetto.

It would be great if there were really effective natural treatments for hair loss, but there are not. Propecia or Proscar are really your best bets. Spencer Kobren also recommends trying PRP treatment now, but even he admits that there still is limed information on this treatment.

I haven't heard of anything natural that really does anything.. if there is something I would just add it to my regimen.

I came across a study that shows biotin has some positive effect on people with androgenic alopecia. That why I bought it. I also take MSM. Some anecdotal evidence the stuff does something.

But really... nothing natural will do anything against DHT. If you know of something, let me know...I would try it.

As for the following things, they all work:

Finasteride(Propecia)
    Ketoconazole(Nizoral Shampoo)
    Minoxidil
    Retin-A

What I don't believe in is Tricomin and LLLT. I haven't seen evidence that it works. I think there might be a laser out there that might work. But really....I haven't seen the results or heard people praise it on forums ever.

Minoxidil really is the best regrowth treatment available. Finasteride will help you keep what you have and perhaps regrow some hair. Retin-A has been shown to promote epithelial cell growth which in turn helps the follicle mature again and produce better quality/bigger hair. Ketoconazole works by being a mild antiandrogen and it reduces sebum, completely washes the scalp and creates a much better environment for growth. Spironolactone won't regrow you any hair most likely. But it probably will slow down hair loss a great deal since it is an effective anti androgen.

BTW, I also get chest/heart pains and such. I get it more when I am sick or already feel drowsy and apply it. So I just use it smarter now(no way im quitting...). I also only use it once a day. I have no more side effects.

Dude, I'm no expert but the things I use seems to be working for me with super minimal side effects. I really think you should at least try it and speak to a good doctor and so on about those things. I am getting some thickness back.

Good luck