+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default This is ridiculous, propecia kiled my hair

Hi,

I started propecia 9 months ago and of course the dreaded shed started. Everybody said, it is a good sign, it means that the drug works (haha I wonder were everyone got this information from ).

So now 9 months later my hair is so much thinner compared to when I started (thinner overall on the scalp AND hairs are thinner). I mean my hairloss started 5 years ago and it has been a very slow process. This past months has been worse than the first 5 years.

Everyone says again yeah but those hair were going anyways. How come everyone starts propecia exactly when the hairloss accelerates (because this is the explaination for everyone that get the shed) and that stronger hair will come back.

Ha what a full of crap. The hair I have lost for the last 9 months will never come back. If they do that will mean I will have a hell alot of regrowth which is highly impossible.

Still 9 months after I started this drug everytime I run my hands through my hair in the sink I see at least 30-40 hairs. This is excluding the normal shedding of 100-150 hairs a day.

So how do I go about to sue this company and at least keep my dignity because this can't just be normal. My hair is gone and I will never get it back

M

Wow...

I don't know if propecia can make you shed like that. I use it and my hair is getting better. I only shed for a week or so. Do you use the real propecia from a pharmacy?

Default yes

Yes this is the real stuff from pharmacy, as here in Sweden pharmacy is a monopoly so it for sure is real.

Is it normal to run my hands through my hair and see 30-40 hairs fall off after 9 months????? Should I quit it??????? I need to know ...

M

damn, 30-40 hairs thats a lot. If i would you i would consult my doctor.

This isn't normal at all. Consult a good dermatologist and try to find the cause of this persisting hair loss. I highly doubt it is propecia. It won't cause a persistent shed like you describe. But speak to someone who knows. Perhaps check for other problems man. Get some testing done.

I disagree,

I lost hair, and a lot of it for the first year, but most of it came back. It was so bad though.

Really? Are you 100% sure it was finasteride? This isn't very common but I guess it's possible. I do here about crazy sheds every now and then but geez. How can it last for 9 months and be consistent. How can someone have hair left.

My hairloss was very slow. So slow I didn't notice it until the process had been underway for at least two years (photos and hindsight provide that timeframe).
    After I started propecia I noticed a definite acceleration in hairloss at the hairline that I refuse to believe was coincidental. Luckily, after that initial decrease in hair, the drug has been holding on to what I have ever since.

I've read too many of these anecdotes to dismiss them. Why finasteride can do this is a mystery.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

As posted by the others, I'd go and get yourself checked out by a doctor. There is always that possibility that you might be losing your hair due to other reasons as well. I too was skeptical of how well propecia/proscar worked for me as well within the first year that I took it. To be honest, I stopped it after taking it for close to a year, and then got back on it right away after my surgery. 6 months later, I'm finding that I'm losing alot less hair this time around, which leads me to believe that the meds are working as intended..

Important Propecia Hints and Tips

CONSISTENCY: Propecia should be administered at 1mg daily in pill form, with no exceptions. Many people talk about custom dosing, skipping days, doubling up, etc. This will not only do nothing to help your hair loss, but will also do your system more harm than good. Hormones are very delicate chemicals that operate in conjunction with each other Therefore a constant daily dose will ensure a stable hormonal environment and keep your biology in harmony.

SHEDDING: Shedding is a sign that Propecia is working. Many men lose out on the benefits of Propecia by freaking out and dropping treatment when they think their hair is getting worse. When your follicles respond to Propecia, they shut down their current growth cycle and begin to create a new, healthier hair. The period is known as the shedding phase. It can begin during the first few months and last a month or so. Ride it out. That is all we can tell you. We all went through it, and those who persevere will see success.

PATIENCE: Propecia takes time. Do not expect results in 3 months. If you are a good responder, your hair loss will stop at about month 4. Many guys will take up to 12 months to stop losing hair. Your best results will actually be at the 2 year mark. Be patient, and trust the study data proving you've got an 83% chance to keep what you have today. Let it do its job.

NIZORAL: It is a little-known fact that the FDA required trial participants to use an anti-inflammatory shampoo like Nizoral for the duration of the trials. This means you should, too. You must keep your scalp in a non-itchy, non-inflamed, non-flaky state in order for Propecia (or any other treatment for that matter) to work well. You can get Nizoral at your local grocery store.

from: http://www.************.com/hair-los...ents/propecia/

Not sure how true all of that is, particularly the shedding/patience parts but it seems to make sense. I mean I can see why propecia would shut down the current growth cycles, but then depending on whether you're a good responder, it will limit the amount of DHT produced allowing the next cycle to come through thicker. Seeing as the follicle was never dead to begin with, I guess it has time to recover. However, if the cycle is merely shut down but the finasteride 1) fails to adequately limit the production of DHT, or 2) takes a long time in doing so, you'll either fail to hold on to your hair whatsoever (unlikely), or (following the second possibility) not be able to regain the hair that was initially shed, but hold on to the hair that remains once the finasteride has started working.

Just a theory?