+ Reply to Thread

Default Norwood 2 hairline?

Hi All,

Appreciate I'm new to the forum - and might be asking a silly question.

In recent times I've noticed my fringe is starting to look a bit narrow, my hairline was never straight even as a kid but seems to have receded upwards a fair amount.

My crown is still quite thick, as is the hair that on the fringe, but just seems to be a lot narrower. Temples look/ feel a bit thinner than the rest of the head but not drastically worse.

Aware that starting on the finasteride is more effective if you catch the recession early on, but don't want to start it unnecessarily if it's going to hold where it is. Both sides of the family have pretty good hair, my mum's dad was arguably a Norwood 3 from mid twenties onward but retained his hair from that point.

Going to see a derma at some point but wanted some opinions before starting any meds.

Where do you think I'd sit on the scale?

Appreciate any input!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20180503_204925.jpg

Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	56941   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180503_204816.jpg

Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	56942   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180321_190459.jpg

Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	56943   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180321_191154.jpg

Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	56944  

Your hairline is looking very solid but it could be in the very, very early stages of recession. Unfortunately the only way to know if it will continue is to wait until it does. Personally I wouldn't start Finasteride just yet as I believe that the potential risks could outweigh the benefits, but having said that, I don't want to be the provider of advice that you might regret taking. There is the risk of side effects (which I don't think are as common as would be perceived by browsing the forums, where people who have suffered side effects tend to be vocal) and there have also been reports that Finasteride can make the hairline worse. I'm not sure how common this is, but many people have made that claim. I only really recommend Finasteride to people who are thinning from the midscalp and crown areas. It works better for those areas anyway.

For someone like you, with loss which at most is extremely minimal, I think it's best just to monitor your hairline for any changes and reconsider treatments when you have clear signs that you're progressing beyond a mature hairline.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    Your hairline is looking very solid but it could be in the very, very early stages of recession. Unfortunately the only way to know if it will continue is to wait until it does. Personally I wouldn't start Finasteride just yet as I believe that the potential risks could outweigh the benefits, but having said that, I don't want to be the provider of advice that you might regret taking. There is the risk of side effects (which I don't think are as common as would be perceived by browsing the forums, where people who have suffered side effects tend to be vocal) and there have also been reports that Finasteride can make the hairline worse. I'm not sure how common this is, but many people have made that claim. I only really recommend Finasteride to people who are thinning from the midscalp and crown areas. It works better for those areas anyway.

For someone like you, with loss which at most is extremely minimal, I think it's best just to monitor your hairline for any changes and reconsider treatments when you have clear signs that you're progressing beyond a mature hairline.
    Thanks for the response Matt, will probably look at contacting a dermatologist to see what they say. My main concern is that the fringe is narrower than it used to be which is exacerbated by naturally high hairline.

Thanks for the advice