+ Reply to Thread

Default My Journey/Getting off Dutasteride

Hello everybody. Heres my Journey so far

My androgenic alopecia began with a big shed in July of 2014 (age 20) I searched online to see what was going with me and I read about telogen effluvium and that sounded like what I was going through so i didn’t worry about it because it claimed to be temporary.

After continuing to shed for months, and no regrowth for over a year, I went to dermatologist august 2015 and they gave me a prescription of Finasteride. I was too terrified to take it due to internet hype of impotency. at this point I’ve been having terrible inflammation in my follicles that i’ve never ever experienced before in my life until dealing with hairloss.

I weened myself on to generic Finasteride in December 2016 in hopes to halt hairloss. I had no side effects whatsoever, besides a little groin ache every so often. After a month of finasteride my inflammation on my scalp went away i would say 75%, every so often I would have this really itchy inflammation feeling on my scalp but no where near as bad as it was before, I believe i was shedding a little less.

After a year of Finasteride I came to the conclusion that it hadn’t completely halted my hairless as I was still progressing. I do believe it slowed down my hairloss a little bit but hadn’t completely halted my hairloss which i was hoping. I also continued to have the scalp inflammation but not as bad as before i began the drug.

January 2018 I began to add brand name Dutasteride AVODART to my DHT blocking regiment (.5mg every day) aiming to halt my hairloss, I was (am still) nearing norwood3 and I didn’t want any further progression or at least slow it down to a crawl.

Me and Avodart got a lot very well ,and just after one month I had no more shedding at all, and 99% of my scalp itch went away I was so happy. one time i felt a little tingle in one follicle on the way to store, I really think adding DUT slowed my hairloss even more completely and it felt like it was halted

In the middle of March 2018 I was nearing my 3 month mark on DUT and my hair had never felt better in 3 years I was doing so well I had never missed a day.

Thinking about the long half life of Dutasteride, I was thinking it would be ok to go 2 days with out it while I went out of town to visit family. because I was thinking it my DHT levels wouldn’t move at all. also I’ve read people on the message boards do the same thing with no problem, and even Spencer Kobren says intermittent therapy works with 5 alpha reductase inhibitors. so I was feeling confident that two days without would do no harm

After the second day of missing Dutasteride my scalp/follicles began to feel really itchy and inflamed like just before my DUT therapy began . i was upset. I was doing so well on the drug and the itch is not all in my head I’ve considered it It really hit my hard again my scalp was so itchy.

I waited two weeks for the itch to go away, I began to take double the amount of Dutasteride on April 2nd 2018 in hoping that inhibiting more DHT would make it go away (as it did when i switched from FIN to DUT) but the inflamation it hadn’t really gotten any better or worse.

nearing the end of April, I had been taking 2 Avodart pills every day (1g total) for almost a month, scalp inflammation is still present as it was a month ago, also I’ve just began to shed a lot a couple days ago.

so presently…..

I am thinking is to get off the drug (DUT) a little after the end of this month. And then begin again at the start of next year. I am Aiming to restart this whole Dutasteride Process in my body as it was going so well in the beginning until I ****ed it up by skipped a couple days which i am realizing is not good for some people as it is forgiving to others

Im going to stay of Finasteride until the end of the year and let all of the DUT get out of my system, and then start again January 2019 as a restart of taking in hoping that the inflammation will go away as I believe inflammation and hairless rate correlate together.

I was looking for any advice or thoughts on getting off the drug and then getting back onto it. as i have never had DHT levels rise again, I have only had them lowered, has anybody had any side effect with DHT levels rising?

Or does anybody have any thoughts or advice? I am nearing NW3 and I have a girlfriend I just met who doesn’t really notice me balding just might notice my diffuse thinning. I do think she started to notice me shedding in the past couple days (shedding sucks)

All I want is this hairless to halt. I think DHT blockers is the answer to that as I think I will not respond well to Minoxidil. also don’t ever really hear good things about minoxidil

don't stop dutasteride, stopping it will further accelerate your balding... I have made this mistake...

Would it be terrible to get off of Dutasteride and then getting back on it.

Do you think if I ween off of Avodart and stay on proscar that I will go through a shed that I won't recover from? My DHT levels will only raise from being 90% below baseline to 70%. what do people think?

would love some feedback