Old timer on here wondering how i can have hair and be happy - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Old timer on here wondering how i can have hair and be happy

Hi all,

I Had a bad transplant in 2011, I'm left with sparse hair near temples infront of my natural hairline, I've been taking finasteride 5mg cut up into as many pieces as possible around 6 usually, I've been doing this daily, and lately reduced to a few times a week and most recently just once or twice a week, also using rogaine once every morning.

I style my hair in a way that I try to disguise the thinning/bad transplant, but it's pretty detectable under harsh light.

All in all, i'm not doing too bad for my age (now 34) been dabbling with the above since mid to late twenties I guess, my crown is not too bad, temples have receeded slowly, and losing some density now in the frontal third.

I feel like I need to make some tough choices because I have been suffering from a lot of fin symptoms like;

not being able to sleep deeply and haven't felt well rested after a nights sleep for years,
    not much interest in sex, and when I do its difficult to get keep it up or get as big as I used to,
    feeling pretty tired a lot of the time, not much motivation to do things, feeling brain foggy and spaced out especially in the mornings, also feel a bit anxious at times and don't get excited or find much enjoyment from things, maybe mild depression,
    All of the above symptoms are having a negative effect on my marriage.

It should be a no brainer right, if you suffer from all those things then I need to give up, but if I had 1 or 2 more transplants and kept on with the pills I would be a nw1, I pride myself on my appearance and it gives me confidence, and although i'm sure coming off fin i'd feel much better, when I look in the mirror it would bring me down.

If I don't take fin for around 4 days I can feel tingling around the temples and a build up of white flakey stuff, obviously the DHT, so I can tell I will lose a lot of hair very quickly if I just quit.

So I am thinking of buying a 1 month supply of 1mg finasteride, cutting up into 4's and take 0.25mg Mon, Weds, Fri, and start taking Saw Palmetto daily, aswell as keeping up with rogaine daily, maybe introduce Nizoral or a Saw Palmetto shampoo to make up for the loss of fin.

I think if I try the above and nothing improves side effect wise, I should reduce the fin to maybe once or twice a week, and if that doesn't improve anything just stop it all together and carry on with the alternatives.

What do you think of my plan? I'd be interested to hear your opinions on my situation, It's a difficult balancing act, I don't want to just give up and be bold but also the side effects are not acceptable to me anymore, i'm sick of it.

For those that say give up, please bear in mind that I will have transplanted hair all on it's own infront of my hairline if I shaved my head lol

Doctor Representative

If you aren't going to take Finasteride daily honestly I wouldn't even bother taking it at all. It has a half life of ~6 hours, so even if you skip one day it's basically been flushed out of your system by the time you take the next pill, especially since you're taking such a low dose to begin with. It needs to be maintained at a stable level to do it's job properly and I wonder if it would even have an effect if you took the .25mg daily. The rest of your planned routine sounds good though.
    I am a representative for Dr. Sean Behnam in Los Angeles, CA.
    My opinions are my own.

the thing is you say that but my hair doesn't start tingling for about 5 days after stopping the last pill, so it must take a while for dht to return to normal levels

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob1966 View Post
    Hi all,

I Had a bad transplant in 2011, I'm left with sparse hair near temples infront of my natural hairline, I've been taking finasteride 5mg cut up into as many pieces as possible around 6 usually, I've been doing this daily, and lately reduced to a few times a week and most recently just once or twice a week, also using rogaine once every morning.

I style my hair in a way that I try to disguise the thinning/bad transplant, but it's pretty detectable under harsh light.

All in all, i'm not doing too bad for my age (now 34) been dabbling with the above since mid to late twenties I guess, my crown is not too bad, temples have receeded slowly, and losing some density now in the frontal third.

I feel like I need to make some tough choices because I have been suffering from a lot of fin symptoms like;

not being able to sleep deeply and haven't felt well rested after a nights sleep for years,
    not much interest in sex, and when I do its difficult to get keep it up or get as big as I used to,
    feeling pretty tired a lot of the time, not much motivation to do things, feeling brain foggy and spaced out especially in the mornings, also feel a bit anxious at times and don't get excited or find much enjoyment from things, maybe mild depression,
    All of the above symptoms are having a negative effect on my marriage.

It should be a no brainer right, if you suffer from all those things then I need to give up, but if I had 1 or 2 more transplants and kept on with the pills I would be a nw1, I pride myself on my appearance and it gives me confidence, and although i'm sure coming off fin i'd feel much better, when I look in the mirror it would bring me down.

If I don't take fin for around 4 days I can feel tingling around the temples and a build up of white flakey stuff, obviously the DHT, so I can tell I will lose a lot of hair very quickly if I just quit.

So I am thinking of buying a 1 month supply of 1mg finasteride, cutting up into 4's and take 0.25mg Mon, Weds, Fri, and start taking Saw Palmetto daily, aswell as keeping up with rogaine daily, maybe introduce Nizoral or a Saw Palmetto shampoo to make up for the loss of fin.

I think if I try the above and nothing improves side effect wise, I should reduce the fin to maybe once or twice a week, and if that doesn't improve anything just stop it all together and carry on with the alternatives.

What do you think of my plan? I'd be interested to hear your opinions on my situation, It's a difficult balancing act, I don't want to just give up and be bold but also the side effects are not acceptable to me anymore, i'm sick of it.

For those that say give up, please bear in mind that I will have transplanted hair all on it's own infront of my hairline if I shaved my head lol
    you could try a topical fin solution.

yes your right, I might look into that thanks

Just took the plunge and bought;

Morr-F (topial fin)
    Saw Palmetto
    Nizoral
    Nizim

If I'm using Morr-F, should I be using regaine ontop or is that overkill?