+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 10 weeks post-op with Bosley (please be kind)

OK, my username says it all. No research and a decision purely out of emotion as sent me on a nosedive into despair. You'd think I should know better with playing with one’s health and treating that as a critical decision that requires the utmost care, but I fell into the marketing hype.

Anyway, I had thought about a transplant since I turned 39. I was gradually balding for a while heading to NW6. It didn't bother me as much until my co-dependent relationship was coming to an end. I was basically providing money and she was providing more reasons to keep running into debt. I started doing laser hair removal on my body since I had my mother's Arabic side body hair and my father's English fair skin and hair. I always felt I got the worst of it.

I went to Bosley 5 years ago, heard there pitch, and decided I didn't like the doctor. The relationship was continuing to fail and I for a while just forgot about my hair (oh how I wish it would have stayed that way). Anyway, last year after the end of the relationship was done, I decided I did want to do something and went back to Bosley. I actually liked the counselor and I didn't realize about using an independent (duh, Internet search). Anyway, I liked the new doc and scheduled a procedure for Mar 09.

The weekend before I went into panic about being cut and cancelled (yes, I have had smart moments). Well, I continued to get more lonely and depressed (still not able to move on from the codependence I guess) and thought maybe the hair will make it better. I realize I did this for the wrong reason and wrong mindset now. I was working out of the house with little people interaction and you guys know those mirrors start telling you things that aren't true like "your ugly, at least hair will give you a good feature", "your old now, you need to step up your game", etc. I found myself watching everybody's head on the street, the shape of bald heads. How some people looked cool, how older dudes were all blotchy when they got older. A mania of sorts looking back on it.

Anyway, I just got it into my head that now was the time to pull the trigger. I had been told to do 2,800 grafts by Bosley. I figured I could live with the scar since I felt I was scarred in some ways (oh my god, was I messed up). I am now 10 weeks Post-Op. Actually had the procedure in Boston office, but I was on a move to Atlanta to be at my client full-time and I had a three week window before the move. I had one final shot at exit when they talked about numbness for months, to which my knees went weak, I asked the doctor out, and he somehow convinced me that this is just what the lawyers say and that feeling would return, etc. Yeah, cake walk, right? Sign under mental duress and off we go to the cutting line.

Well, obviously, my work in Atlanta who knew me from frequent trips down there in the past, knew in an instant what happened. I somehow bought the bullshit that no one will know, but of course they will with a NW6 2,800 (actual 3,050 from Bosley info). Anyway, it has been an awful adjustment. I would be willing to live with it and my decision (I always believe you need to own mistakes to get over them) if the healing was better, but it just seems it isn't.

I just don't think I look like the pictures at this stage (now 10 weeks). Swelling has come down a lot, but there is a lot of obvious indents in my head. Some of them are pits which appear to be from a few bad sizes into my head, but still the rest is just not that smooth either. According to the doc in Boston, the micro instruments should heal very quickly. So, I went to the Atlanta office and was told my healing characteristics may be different.

Another thing is the left side of the donor is not healing as well as the right. Major shockloss (or may permanent, although the Atlanta office says it looks like effluvium). Just need some more info at this point. I have an appointment with Dr. Cole here next week to assess independently. Just want to know if this truly was a bad job, if it appears my healing make be at issue, etc.

What I wanted some help from this great resource is:
    1) Does donor look right for 10 weeks?
    2) Pictures of recipient are kind of tough to tell, but I have lot of little red spot in the holes. Does that mean now that the swelling has pretty well receded that they are in final healing mode? It just seems so much worse now that there is no swelling. I went from sunburned to my pasty skin color again but with all this red dotting and some pitting.
    3) About how wide should a pit be for there to be a good chance it will fully heal? Most look like they will, but at least a dozen or so look like a pen tip could fit in.
    4) Would effluvium still affect the donor at 10 weeks?
    5) Would you have any questions specifically I should ask Dr. Cole when I get in?
    6) Looking at my pre-Op, do you think it was negligent to operate on me since I told the Dr, I don't want to be on meds and just want basic coverage. All I said is do you think a ring will be around my head. He did tell me last year that my hair was fine.
    7) Does the 5 days PostOp I posted look right? Also does it look like 3,000?
    8) Am I f'ed without taking meds? I'd like a few more years of sex life.
    9) Can one side of your head be tighter than the other and affect healing of scar. Seems like right at the bottom transition into the left side, I stpo seeing the white pencil line.

What I am preparing for after I heal is probably FUE into the scar. I was thinking one basic round start of next year. Then probably wait a few years to see of I need any other fill. I am willing to wait obviosuly to see if things improve, but am feeling like this may be a longer journey. Bosley did say if I was unhappy with the scar, they would do a free revision. but no way am I going to get cut again.

Maybe I am too early to panic, but I feel very much like this has gone bad.

Pre-Op (hair pretty long)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PreOpBack.JPG

Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	5186

Name:	PreOpHead.JPG

Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	5187

Name:	PreOpSide.JPG

Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	5188

5 days post Op

Name:	5DaysPostOp.JPG

Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	5189

9 weeks post Op

Name:	9 weeksCenter.JPG

Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	5190

Name:	9weeksHead.jpg

Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	5191

Name:	9weeksRightEar.JPG

Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	5192

Name:	LeftEar.JPG

Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	5193

Default 1st reply

I feel somewhat compelled to reply to your post, even though I think your questions regarding future treatment and the state of your recipient and donor sites will best be addressed by an IAHRS HT doctor like Dr. Cole. The good news is that even though Bosley has a very bad reputation here, not every HT doctor at Bosley is completely incompetent and I've even heard Spencer Kobren say that Bosley has bgun to show some improvements. I went to Bosley in the mid 1990's and I thank God I didn't go through with anything, especially back then. I certainly wouldn't allow them to do anything else because your taking a big gamble with a place like Bosley, as I'm sure you now understand.

Also, I can completely relate to your sense of panic. I'm a few weeks out of a HT procedure by a very good HT doctor, but I'm still very nervous about the outcome. You've mentioned shock loss and from what I've read, this can certainly be an issue ten weeks after the HT and even after that point. If it's any consulation, my recipient site looked very much like yours, so it would seem that there was nothing abnormal about your scalp folowing that procedure if you consider that I went with an IAHRS doctor. There may be issues that you are having that didn't show up in the picture, but again, the doctors here can address that.

I just wanted to end this by giving you some advice. I did extensive homework before going forward and the one thing that I saw over and over again here was to check with more than one doctor, even among IAHRS doctors. Go with the doctor that you feel most comfortable with and one that you would feel that you could ask questions of after the procedure. My HT doctor provided his cell phone number both before and after the procedure and called me to make sure I okay post-op. Don't let geography determine who your doctor is, I chose a doctor in Florida and live in Indiana, although there are doctors closer that I've consulted with. One final thought is I've seen examples here of corrective work that was amazing. You've finally started making good decisions about this decision and you should at least feel relief by that knowledge. Best of luck.

Thanks for your reply and a good luck to you as well. I guess I am not willing to throw in the towel yet with Bosley since they are trying to still give me some advise. I think it is just smart now to get a second opinion and be sure what is happening looks right and plan for what follow-up steps need to be taken. The one thing I didn't like about Bosley is they booked my procedure after I cancelled for one year without a new consult. I should have pushed that point, but I do think most places would want to check you out ahead of time again.

Overall, I think I will be fine with doing the procedure, but I should have had a better plan. I now know a good resource for checking things out ahead of time before moving forward. I like that resources from the main doc offices monitor the board as well.

All I can say is the preparation for this waiting game cannot be emphasized enough. I don't think I have the stock for it since I tend to have too many highs and lows. At 10 weeks, I am just dying for my head to start getting covered enough so it does not draw conspicuous stares from new people. All I read about FU says it should be un-noticable if done right. I would have thoughts as 10 weeks the scalp would look normal, but mine does not look anywhere close. I'll post an update in a few weeks. Regards.

10 weeks is definitely to soon to panic! It’s a good idea that you're seeing Dr. Cole for an opnion on your current situation, but don’t beat yourself up about making the decision to go to Bosley. Like combover stated, I have heard Spencer Kobren say on his radio show that Bosley is showing much better results then they use to. It is possible that you will be pleasantly surprised with the outcome. Don't think about it too much and continue to plan your next steps.
    Good luck!

Default Visit with Dr Cole

Just an update on my visit with Dr. Cole. I visited with the counselor Alex who spent a lot of time with me and gave me a broader assessment of what I was up against. I also had Dr. Cole in between a surgery and he also spent quite a bit of time reviewing the Bosley work. I say overall, I was there almost 2 hours, so I was really impressed with the time they took in evaluating things, measuring donor density, measuring the scar, etc.

Here are the excerpts:
    - Scar does appear to be stretching. Currently at about 0.5cm in spots. Hair growth around the scar still uncertain, but don't hold my breath
    - Pitting on scalp is more on left hemisphere rather than right. This confirms what I was seeing in the mirror. Dr believes most of these will not go away in 8-12 months like I am hearing from Bosley, but most will be camoflauged.
    - Overall work appears mediocre (especially left side)
    - I have to let the scar continue to heal to ensure the redness will subside
    - They thought the frontal hairline chosen was appropriate
    - Bosley went into the crown partway which will not look natural when I lose rest of crown if I don't repair it. Dr felt most strongly that this and the pits were the worst part ofteh job.
    - Mentioned I am not on Propecia because of possible side effects. Both thought I should be on it, but Dr said he didn't blame me for questioning it.

Overall, a very detailed consult. Seems I will certainly need to consider FUE into the scar if it doesn't get any worse. I probably don't see a scar revision as an option since for whatever reason it still seems wide and this was a first HT.

I still continue to search for options while I await new growth. I am hoping to get some lift from new hair growth, but I still feel the downside of this itching, pimples, numbness (although dropped quite a bit now last few weeks down to probably only 20% numb), and tightness (also getting much better now - probably 30% as tight) just are not worth it. I would much rather have accepted bald. Be that as it may, I hope for the best in terms of results to give me some redemption for my launch into this.

Note to Alex - if you are monitoring, you can post a few pictures of the top and donor scar if you have them since I would like to see them as well. Thanks.

right place, wrong timing.

Best of luck man. 10 weeks definitely too early.

Default Almost 5 months

Thought I'd shoot out a few updates. Not much growth it seems. Hope this turns out not to be a total loss. I am trying to stay positive and almost got out of my funk and tried to look at the positive, but last night was downer since my haircut got screwed-up. Same shop, but new guy who I told about the situation and said I wanted a 5 guard. You really need to keep your eyes having your hair cut now as the result can be awful. Looks like I got a 3 or maybe a 2 in the end. i think he misjudged where the scar was because of looking down on the head. They really need to be looking at a distance. Called up Bosley in Atlanta and they had some Toppik trials for me. One thing I will say is the Atlanta office has been pretty decent reciprocating. I plan very stern discussion with the Boston office when I am back up there in a few months.

This is pretty strong window lighting with toppik. The left side I did with a lower angle so you can see the barber blunder. The hairline was with less lighting. To me not much to show for 5 months, but still waiting.

Name:	hair 001.jpg

Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	6119

Name:	hair 002.jpg

Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	6120

Name:	hair 004.jpg

Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	6121

Name:	hair 009.jpg

Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	6122

The growth should start to kick in very soon. Some people grow later then others, but you should be seeing a good amount of growth at least by the six month mark. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Combover,

I am really considering HT surgery of some sort. At first I met with a counselor at Bosley but after reading all these horror stories about them,I dont think i will continue to talk to them. Do you think u can fill me in with your progress and a good surgeon please??
    One surgeon that looks good i think is Dr Alan Bauman. What r ur thoughts?

Middle age,

Did u say u have a couple of recommendation for surgery? Im in the prep stage but i dont want to jump into anything without knowing some good reputation....