+ Reply to Thread

Question Does Rogaine shed healthy hair too?

My hairloss has started two years ago. After hoping first it wouldn't get much worse I'm at a point where I bought Rogaine. But I can't bring myself to use it.

I am afraid of what it will do to my hair.
    My "healthy" hair that is.

I read that Rogaine will cause shedding. Does that mean it will only she'd those miniaturized hairs?
    Or will it also she's the other still normal looking hair?

People say it sheds the hair that would fall out anyway.
    But fall out when? I worry that it will she'd hair that I might still have until I'm 60. And that I'm doing harm now by destroying that hair early, unnecessarily.
    Or even hair that may actually not fall out at all without those drugs.
    I'm 29 and I don't know if I'll go completely bald.
    I think there is a decent chance I won't. My dad isn't bald and my maternal grandpa had great hair. Out of two maternal uncles one went bald at 20 though and the other has no hair just at the crown nur otberwise very full hair and an absolutely flawless hairline.

So ist feels Like It's possibel I won't just lose everything quickly. So im afraid that im accelerating that process unnecessarily.

And if it does indeed shed hair now which would actually only be meant to die at say 60, if I stop using Rogaine at say 40, will those hairs grow to the state that they should naturally be in at that time, or will they just fall out too with all the other hair that was affected by the Rogaine?

Hope this makes sense. I have the Rogaine here and Id rather start using it sooner than later but i'm worried about that.

I'm not using Fin btw because i'm too worried about the side effects.

Im considering a hairtransplant too.

Some people will get shedding and some wont...i never did. If you do get some shedding those hairs will grow back but you need to give the product time to work. Stay on it for at least 6 months to see if you are getting results. It is a lifelong commitment once you start using it and you discover it is working. If you go off of it after several years you will get a massive shed.

Thanks for your reply.

But I'm speaking specifically about hair that would actually only have fallen out at a later age. Will this hair that would have normally (without Rogaine) fallen out at 60 come back should I stop using it at 40?
    My worry is that there may be any unforseen circumstances where I would need to stop using it. And then ending up in a situation that's worse than had I not started Rogaine at all.
    So I wonder if that massive shed wen stopping would only get you to where you would normally be at that age or if it affects all the hair which would eventually fall out too?

It will keep the hair you have longer so the hair that it has effected will fall out when you stop. I don't know how the hair would come back if you stop using the product. It just slows things down, if you stop at 40 then you will just go to what your head would look like without treatment. So if you get great results and stop in 5 years you will see the results of never using it after the shed that will occur...if that makes sense.

So you are saying it won't get worse than it would have without starting Rogaine?

If that is what you are saying, do you mind if I ask how you know that?
    I'd just like to be sure before I start something I may regret. I appreciate the input.

I think you are looking for a study that doesn't exist as far as I know so can't give you a clinical answer. I know from experience and other users it just slows the process down and will thicken the hair up for some initially. You need to make a decision if you want to keep your hair or not and what risk you are willing to take.