+ Reply to Thread

Default Future Progression

Okay a bit of a rant here. My story in a nutshell is I started noticing that my crown was getting lightly exposed at the age of 23. I had never even considering going bald a possibility, so when I started it freaked me out enough that at that age I went to several hair transplant surgeons. Luckily they all (except one) told me they'd never do any work on someone who was 23 and I'd have to be at least 28 for things to stabilize.

At the age of 31 I finally got 1,000 grafts that helped fill the area. I wasn't taking any medication, and my crown thinned out more (not expanded) except for the transplants. Just two months prior to 37 I went in and had 2,000 more grafts on my crown to finish the deal. The photo below is from about two weeks before the second procedure.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	B.jpg

Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	56496

Here's where things changed for me. I had kind of felt that my hair loss was always in the same places and not really expanding.So for more than 15 years my crown has always been front and center of what bothers me. I had full confidence that I was going to remove this insecurity and be done with it forever.

However without exaggeration right as I met the transplant surgeon minutes before surgery they suggested I leave the crown alone and work on my front, mostly due to donor areas. My front hairline has the sides receding, at a level I find annoying.
    IClick image for larger version

Name:	A.jpg

Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	56495
    The photo above is usually how my hair is, this was taken about three weeks ago. When my head was buzzed I could see it was definitely worse than I thought, but still not a major concern yet. It was kind of hard to have my crown bother me for 15 years and fell like I'm going to resolve it only to change my mind on the spot and leave it alone forever to work on something I was less concerned about. After some talk the doctor said we could do the crown but of course there is a future risk of more hairloss and for the future use all donors for the front.

Now after it's all said and done I'm incredibly anxious about becoming a NW7 and having a full awkward crown and nothing else. I guess my mistake was I assumed that since the areas that have thinned have remained the same for 15 years that my hairloss had stabilized. Plus with BHT and other options I felt like I could do with anything as needed in the future. I don't know my mother's side, but figured I'd be matching my father's pattern. He has the same exact pattern as me, his crown is gone, has a similar hairline pattern, with the only difference is the hair in between his crown and hairline has thinned. His thinning in between isn't that bad, and plus he's in his mid 60's.

So in summary instead of feeling happy I'm really anxious about the future, and wondering if i just make a huge mistake. Of course I'll start to use finasteride and minoxidil, but I'd be curious if anyone had a pattern like mine at my age and could help guess the risk of how things might proceed.