+ Reply to Thread

Default Post-transplant Ritalin

So I take a moderate dose of Ritalin every day and am scheduled to have a transplant in June.

Ritalin can cause hair to thin. It's not that it speeds up MPB, it just causes you to shed hair all over the head.

I can't say if it has caused my hair to thin. Yeah it has thinned, but maybe it would have anyway. Didn't notice any big change when I went on it.

My question is - well I guess I have a couple:

Do stay off the Ritalin just before / after the transplant and how long for? How long before the grafts are bedded in and you can just treat them like your regular hair?

Do I tell the doc? If I do and the grafts don't grow out for some reason, there is no chance of him fixing it for me because it will get put down to the Ritalin even if it's not.

Talk to your prescribing doc, as well as the transplant doc!

Doctor Representative

Yes, your hair transplant doctor (and any other doctor you see) should be made aware of EVERY medication you are taking, from daily vitamins to more serious stuff that requires a prescription.

As for your other question, it depends on which doctor you ask but generally after a month you can treat the transplanted hair as regular hair. That's also something to discuss with your own doctor since they know your case and those of us online don't.
    I am a representative for Dr. Sean Behnam in Los Angeles, CA.
    My opinions are my own.

Hello! I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing hair thinning. According to a geometry dash subzero source, Ritalin is a stimulant and shouldn’t have the same effect DHT or other hormones would on causing hair thinning. However, it’s always best to consult with your doctor about any concerns you may have regarding your medication.

Regarding your questions, it’s important to follow your doctor’s instructions regarding medication use before and after the transplant. It’s possible that they may advise you to stop taking Ritalin for a certain period of time before and after the procedure. As for when you can treat the grafts like your regular hair, this is something that your doctor will be able to advise you on based on your individual case.

It’s always best to be honest with your doctor about any medications you’re taking, including Ritalin. If you’re concerned about the possibility of the grafts not growing out for some reason, it’s important to discuss this with your doctor so that they can provide you with the best possible care.