+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Having children on propecia

I've been on propecia for a year now and would like to know the exact risks if I wanted to try for a baby. How long is it recommended to come off for? My trichologist, I think said 2 months?? But I'm sure I read somewhere that the risk with propecia was just a myth! If you do have to come off it, would it not only have to be a short period as I thought the half life of the drug was only 2 days or something? Thanks

Merck's official position is that it's safe to use even while trying to conceive or if your girlfriend/wife does get pregnant. The manufacturer states: "Contact with the semen from a man being treated with PROPECIA is not a risk to the unborn child of a pregnant woman". Women who are pregnant are warned not to handle Propecia, particularly if the pill has been broken or crushed, as contact could potentially cause birth defects in male children. However, there has never been an actual reported case of a birth defect as a result of this.

To follow that up, I spoke to Dr. Cole about your question and he said, though he would feel comfortable continuing the drug himself, because the stakes are so high, he would never encourage someone not to discontinue use. It's definitely a personal decision you would have to make on your own. He did say that you should be fine going off Propecia for as long as 3-4 months without any adverse effects.

Thanks very much for that, didn't want to lose what I'd kept from propecia if I wanted to have a baby! I'd think about it more at the time but If there were no documented cases I would probably stay on it.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

I have had many patients over the years that were currently taking Propecia for many years and had healthy children. I have never read or heard of any proven negative effects of a child conceived while the father was taking Propecia.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

I am surprised as my trichologist definately said to come off it for a certain amount of time as it was a risk to the baby. I've also seen it mentioned in another forum. But this is great news! Thanks Dr Charles

I have never read or heard of any proven negative effects of a child conceived while the father was taking Propecia.
    Likewise - i haven't either. I did extensive research on the subject and met with many guys over the years who conceived whilst on the drug.

I continued the drug and ended up getting my wife pregnant first time round ..with TWINS! - Ouch!
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

My son is nearly 5 years old now with no health issues except hayfever and was conceived while i was taking Proscar.

I was going to ask actually is proscar any different as it was not designed to combat hairloss and that was what I started on. I wonder If generations continued to use finasteride would their children evolve to become DHT invincible!!? haha

Interesting theory,who knows what the future holds.