+ Reply to Thread

Default Some questions about scalp micropigmentation after a hair transplant.

Hi everyone. Long time lurker and first time poster here.

Six months ago, I had a hair transplant to reconstruct my hairline. I had only lost a small amount of hair relatively speaking, and was a Norwood 2. I now have a great Norwood 1 hairline, and am very pleased with the results so far, with more to come as I'm only six months out of surgery.

However, I know that even when the transplant has fully grown in, it's unlikely to be as dense as the hair beside it. This is especially true for me as I have very dense hair naturally.

Because of this, I'm thinking about opting for scalp micropigmentation. I have some questions about this.

1. How long after a hair transplant should someone wait before doing this (and will doing it prematurely harm any grafts which have yet to break through the scalp)?

2. Is there any risk of shock loss of the hair next to where the pigmentation is done?

3. How much should I expect to pay for SMP to cover the amount of scalp between a NW1 and NW2 hairline? I live in the UK and have no intentions of travelling abroad for this.

I want to go down the SMP route rather than a second transplant so I can preserve my donor hair in case I need it in the future (for now, my hair loss is completely stable as I've been taking finasteride for five years).

Many thanks for any replies.

Bump.

1. How long after a hair transplant should someone wait before doing this (and will doing it prematurely harm any grafts which have yet to break through the scalp)?

Wait one year. You still have improvements to come that may negate some of the SMP. You have to see your final surgical route before you can properly plan.

2. Is there any risk of shock loss of the hair next to where the pigmentation is done?

I don't know about regular SMP but with tricopigmentation the needle only goes .5mm which isn't nearly deep enough to cause harm. This may be why tricopigmentation is easily performed in long hair while I've not seen any regular SMP performed the same way.

3. How much should I expect to pay for SMP to cover the amount of scalp between a NW1 and NW2 hairline? I live in the UK and have no intentions of travelling abroad for this.

Maybe 500 to 1000 quid, depending on who does it, but probably on the lower end of that spectrum. I would be very careful however as you're talking about your hairline, which is visible to everyone, so insist on seeing multiple examples of long hair hairline thickening, not shaved effect results.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Hi there,

Joe has provide solid response as usual. I’d meet a few practistioners and inspect some physical results too. Many clinics especially in the U.K. bang this procedure out and nurses are doing it out the back of dentists waiting rooms (fact )

I recently had ATP at the HSHC ( I represent them ) https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/thread...se-density-%21

Don’t rush into anything and meet a few patients in person.

Best
    Spex
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.