+ Reply to Thread

Default Mixing minoxidil powder

Hello.

Recently I acquired minoxidil powder for sake of mixing minoxidil 5% solution. I did it since in my country is really hard to get minoxidil and even if you do it is really expensive.

Since I need like 5 ml/day buying expensive minoxidil is not a solution.

So I tried to mix my own. I made 5% solution using 2500 mg of minoxidil powder and 50 ml solution of 96% ethanol (63%), propylene glycol (20%) and distilled water (17%). So my calculations were correct to make 5% minoxidil.

However the solution didn't mixed as well as expected. Powder didn't solved completely, there are leftovers on the bottom of bottle. And if I shake the bottle, minoxidil powder floating in liquid becomes obvious.

Will this solution even work? Did anyone tried to mix minoxidil powder? How to make it better?

Thanks

Minoxidil is a white to off-white powder barely soluble in water but soluble in propylene glycol, methanol, and ethanol. Its solubility in water is 2.2mg/ml, while in propylene glycol is 75mg/ml.

You can find more details on minoxidil powder by https://octagonchem.com/products/cosmetics/minoxidil/, Just try solvents with better solubility than water.

According to a uno online post I found, it’s possible that the minoxidil powder didn’t dissolve completely because it’s not water-soluble. One user suggested that you can try dissolving the minoxidil powder in propylene glycol first, and then adding the ethanol and distilled water. Another user suggested using a magnetic stirrer to help dissolve the minoxidil powder.

It’s important to note that mixing your own minoxidil solution can be dangerous if not done properly. Minoxidil is a medication that should only be used as directed by a qualified doctor. In no circumstance should you use more than the prescribed dose because of the danger it poses to the skin. As a result of this, it shouldn’t be applied in any part of the body as absorption may affect the blood vessels and heart. Furthermore, don’t use other skin products on the same area where you apply minoxidil – although you can use hair relaxers, hair permanents, and hair coloring product when undergoing the minoxidil therapy as long as you wash the scalp before using hair relaxer, permanents, and hair coloring. Don’t make the mistake of taking two doses in order to make up for a missed dose.