+ Reply to Thread

Default Loestron Fe and Hair Loss...

I was taking the birth control Loestrin fe for about 10 months, I stopped at the end of February/beginning of March this year. I started noticing a lot of hair coming out in the shower at least last month maybe earlier but didnt think anything of it since my hair is(was) very thick but I did notice that not only was there a lot coming out i could see there were large groupings coming out. Over the past week or so Ive noticed that my hair is much much thinner. I thought my hair was straightening nicely because of this new heat protection spray I bought, but in reality my hair is just so much thinner its laying flatter I dont have any bald spots or patches since the hair is leaving all over. I dont think my hair line is receding and it doesnt appear that the hair near my temples is thinning any faster than the rest. I looked last night I think I do see new hair growing since I see this short little hairs in my part. However the hair in the front by my bands seem to be thinner than whats on my part and when I plucked hair from my part it was thick and had a brown bulb on the bottom but the ones in the front that are short have white bulb, does that mean the hair is dying fast or is this miniaturization? I cant remember if those hairs in the front have always been thin or different because I never really paid attention I know loestrin is one of the highest bc pills with androgens in it so Im hoping it didnt cause AGA and I am just experiencing Telogen Effluvium from the shock of the hormones. No one in my family has any balding problems, infact most of them have incredibly thick hair like I did.

So if it is telogen effluvium how long does the shedding last before it slows down? Im gonna say mine has been shedding for 1.5 - 2 months? I am going to see my primary doctor on the 22nd and I called and asked if I could get blood work before I get there and they are going to write me up a Rx for it so I hope they check my hormone levels as well.

I am in a similar situation - hairloss from a high androgen birth control. Did your hair grow back?

My hair never grew back to its original thickness. It did stop shedding though. I don't have any patches or bald spots but I do feel like it is slowing getting thinner. What used to take me an hour to straighten I can bang out in like 15 minutes.

Did you stop the pill or are you still on it?

I stopped this month but am worried I have gotten AGA. I was on the pill for 8yrs with no issue but tried to stop last year and got bad acne. Went back on it Dec last year and I started noticing hair changes spring of this year. Did bloodwork March this year and all normal. Moved jobs and cities and got busy since. No history in my family but the last few months my hair has had a dramatic texture change to very dry and coarse, unhealthy and like cotton candy and still thinning. Stopped the pill,got bloodwork and again all was normal. Starting spironolactone and considering getting a scalp biopsy. Scared of what is going to happen next