+ Reply to Thread

Default Second procedure - FUT or FUE?

Hey guys,

I’m considering a second cosmetic procedure and would be grateful for any advice anyone has.

I’m currently 30, first started experiencing hair loss at around 20, and had my first FUT procedure at Bosleys in New York in 2010.

During this procedure I had 1,500 grafts and I still have the scar in the back. The scar is only a few mm in width and I can hide it with a 3mm trim from the barber.

My first question is whether I should have another FUT or go for an FUE? I have done some reading that suggests a second FUT is ideal, and I would like to absorb the first scar and maintain the same type of scar following my procedure, but not sure if the scar from a second FUT is usually larger or smaller considering the less elasticity of the skin?

Does anyone know, or suggest a surgeon, who has a good reputation with minimising scars for FUT procedures?

I am currently living in Vietnam and considering travelling back to America for another Bosleys procedure, but would be open to another clinic in Europe if anyone has any suggestions?

I’ve added some photos below to get some advice on the number of grafts I would need to restore a full hairline.

Sorry for all the questions.

Appreciate all the help and support.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Zach
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 7.04.34 pm.jpg

Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	56108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 7.05.03 pm.jpg

Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	56109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 7.04.49 pm.jpg

Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	56110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 7.05.14 pm.jpg

Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	56111  

The consensus is that FUT has better long-term survival, so I'd go with that. You're gonna need all you can get.

And for the love of God, don't go to Bosley again.

Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    The consensus is that FUT has better long-term survival, so I'd go with that. You're gonna need all you can get.

And for the love of God, don't go to Bosley again.
    Long-term survival shouldn't be any different regardless of which procedure type. Are you talking about yield? As in the percentage of grafts which survive the procedure itself and grow.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    Long-term survival shouldn't be any different regardless of which procedure type. Are you talking about yield? As in the percentage of grafts which survive the procedure itself and grow.
    My understanding is that there may be a slight increase in long-term survival (i.e., DHT resistance) in FUT grafts. Not an enormous difference by any means, but it's the reason why I think I'll opt for FUT when I undergo transplant.

After the surgeries, my hair looks similar to yours in the pic right now and I am anxiously awaiting for proper care/repair. If the experienced doctor you choose does all the surgical aspects of FUE, including pacing the surgery and you are the only patient of the day, it may reduce the graft death that often results in terrible yield and other issues. Otherwise, FUT may be the safer choice as it is not as blind as FUE. Some reputable surgeons may only be good doing FUE with thicker, courser hair, (vs the type of hair you have) while very few are able to do great FUE with hair that has a finer texture. With FUT, they can carefully dissect grafts to the bulb under a microscope. With FUE, your going in blind. Look for clinics that can let you meet patients with your hair type, with similar goals, and similar graft counts. Hipe younare able to find a surgeon that can successfully cater to your goals and maintain scalp safety. Good luck.