+ Reply to Thread

Default Pulling staples out of your own head with pliers

At the 12 day mark after my surgery I had my staples removed from the donor area. Problem is they missed one. Shall I attempt to do this myself? It's right at the back of my head which is a bit of a pain.
    Any advice appreciated.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Lindsey's Avatar

You paid a lot of money, go back and get the one removed. Anyone can overlook a stitch or staple. As embarrassing as it may be, I recall working with a patient in around 2003, and we got to talking about the patient's beach house, dogs etc, and they went home. An hour later the person called and asked when I was planning to remove the staples on the other side....I had to confess that we were having such an interesting conversation that I got distracted, and to drive back to the office.

Despite this, the person sent several friends in over the following few years.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA
    William Lindsey, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lindsey View Post
    You paid a lot of money, go back and get the one removed. Anyone can overlook a stitch or staple.
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, I paid a hell of a lot of money. Mistakes like this happen and I guess there were a lot of staples. It's just convenience, bit of a pain to have to travel to Harley Street to have one staple pulled out. Having it done tomorrow. Just concerned now that because it's been in my head for much longer than it should be, it might be embedded and require levering out with a screwdriver amid much pain.

Quote Originally Posted by barry77 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, I paid a hell of a lot of money. Mistakes like this happen and I guess there were a lot of staples. It's just convenience, bit of a pain to have to travel to Harley Street to have one staple pulled out. Having it done tomorrow. Just concerned now that because it's been in my head for much longer than it should be, it might be embedded and require levering out with a screwdriver amid much pain.

Barry77,

If you traveled across the country or overseas yes it would make it rather impractical to travel that far to have one staple removed. I had my primary doctor remove my staples from my last HT procedure.

Another good idea is find a reputable plastic surgeon in your area who would probably remove that last staple for you at a reasonable amount.

You might even find an experienced nurse to do it for you FREE. Ask around for referrals to someone who has removed staples and knows how to do it.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

It is a relatively easy procedure to remove one staple. However, without the proper tool it will most likely be very uncomfortable. Probably would be best to go back the where the procedure was performed to have it removed.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Thanks for the replies. Managed to get it out with an ordinary staple remover bought from a stationery store.