+ Reply to Thread

Default Intro & Opinions

i've been viewing this website for some time now and think it is a great source of info. i wanted to share my story and attach some pics to get opinions on what, if anything, i should do.

for the past 12 years i've been battling chronic pain and have recently gone through 8 surgeries to correct the orthopedic issues that have been causing my pain (got 1 or 2 more left). i haven't dated for 7 of the most recent years because the pain had been so bad. i'm now just about ready to go back out into the world and start dating again, but i would like to add some self-confidence before i do so.

i started losing my hair when i was in the latter part of my 23rd year. i'm now 33. i immediately took action with propecia and revivogen and was able to halt additional loss. over the past 10 years, i have tweaked my regimen and currently use .5mg of avodart/once a day and rogaine foam/twice a day.

as i stated, i've been holding steady for roughly a decade now and would like to improve things a bit by thickening up my crown with a hair transplant. i know this website has savvy members in the area of hair restoration and welcome any comments on how i should proceed.

the pictures that show my crown were taken wet and dry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0017.jpg

Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	5080   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg

Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	5081   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg

Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	5082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hair 012.jpg

Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	5083   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0018.jpg

Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	5084  

It's great that you have managed to maintain your existing hair for ten years with Propecia and other medical therapies. I'm sure, through your Bald Truth research, you've read that you should defer having hair transplanted to your crown until you are quite sure that you will not need more grafts in the frontal area. The vertex area will require more transplanted follicles than any other in order to achieve sufficient density.

If you decide to proceed with a transplant, take your time researching experienced doctors, as restoring density in the crown requires great skill and artistry. Your surgeon will need to replicated the natural hair growth angles and recreate the natural "swirl". You also want to be careful that the surgeon does not transplant too high of a density into an already relatively dense recipient area. This can cause temporary shock loss or even fatal trauma to the native follicles.

You have fantastic hair. The slight crown thinning does not look like a huge cosmetic issue from the images that you have uploaded. If I were you I would order some scalp concealer and experiment with different brands. It will most likely make you look like you have zero thinning and give you that added boost of self confidence without having to undergo surgery.

Your hair looks great to me. If you are tall, nobody will even spot it. Maybe a little concealer. I never considered it, but you seem to only have that small crown area and the contrast of your dark hair and light skin give you away. Just a little cammoflage would make it really tough to spot.

Your hair looks good man. A transplant into the crown area will take a lot of grafts...and you will need to choose a really good surgeon. You will be amazed at how well something like nanogen fibers or toppik works on the crown area. I think you should go with a concealer instead to be honest.

But it's up to you. Careful which surgeon you choose if you do choose a ht.