+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default 21 years, devastated and going bald. Don't want this feeling of my life ending.

Hey people.

Found this forum today and I just wanted to share my story and my thoughts with you guys.
    Soo, the last couple of months i'd begin to shed hair all over the place. My temples have gotten higher and I know the inevitable is going to happen. A little info:

I've allways had insanely thick hair and i've allways been commented on it. But i've allways had reeeally high temples too. It hadn't bothered me that much though, cause i'd been able to hide it. Over the last couple of years though, this has gotten more and more difficult and it will soon be impossible probably.

I feel like shit because of the whole damn thing. I used to be a really confident guy, but lately my self esteem has just been shattered and i don't really know what I should do. But as I see it, there is two options:

1. I try to fight the inevitable and enters a battle of tons of emotional suffering and loss of a shitload of cash. (This option is probably too late though because of my high temples)

2. I go for the buzz cut look or the shaved head. I know this probably will look absolutely ridiculous for me though.

But I think im gonna go with option number two. I just dont want to put all that sacrifice into number one. It's just too much for me. Im tired of constantly checking out my hair and stuff. I just want to get over it!!! I dont want to be thinking about it every thirty seconds anymore. Seriously, I can walk into a crowded room and within 15 seconds i can tell you EXACTLY how many guys in that room are balding. I hate it! I'ts the only thing I seem to be able to focus on.

So I figured, if I do the following:

- Get in great shape, get some muscles etc.
    - Start eating healthy and drinking lots of water
    - Get a nice tan
    - Get my teeth whitened (they really need too)
    - Start taking care of my skin
    - And take control of as many areas in my life as I can.

Then it surely can't be that bad? I just want my confidence back.
    Another thing that has been bothering me is the girls thing. I've been with my share of cute girls. Just because I don't have hair, that surely can't take that right away from me? I mean, im still me! I deserve it. I think we all do. Just because we loose our hair, do it really change who we are?

I've attached some pics of me because I would like some comments on how you guys might think I would look bald. Mostly because im scared of how it would look and im scared to take the step. Im going on a 1˝ month travel soon, so I think i will do it just before I leave. Then i'll have some time to adjust to it without all my buddies comments (im sure there will be some).
    Btw, please go easy on the comments

The pics:

* Pictures removed for privacy *

Btw, i've tried feeling out my skull and I cant find any weird bumps or anything.

Thanks for you time. Take care

Firstly.....if those are recent pics - you look as though you still have plenty of hair to me! I cant even tell your balding.
    If the hair has worsened since then, i would go for the buzzed down look.... you will be able to pull that off for a good while before going shorter.
    The good thing is that your going travelling so in theory you could shave it very short, then let it grow for a few weeks and you will be able to tell whether the shaved or buzzed look is better.
    Like i said.... your hairloss doesnt look bad to me..... i would use nizoral shampoo at least 3 times a week and get on a good healthy anti inflammatoy diet.... this will improve your overall health and should slow down your hairloss..... check out immortalhair.org. If you shave your hair and your hairloss progresses quickly, then you have already done the hardest part. Think of it this way - you have already bitten the bullet and will try and keep the hair you have in a way that wont destroy your body or mind! If it works great, if not youve already buzzed it down so no big deal.
    Finally, stay away from minoxidil - this is proven to reduce the amount of collagen in your skin.... which will basically make you look older quicker.
    If you want any other advice on the things you mentioned, send me an email

I'd seriously look into propecia. I wish I had when I had more hair. It should help you keep the hair you have. Do some research, and try not to hit the panic button. Try not to obsess. You already said it yourself- you are still you. You will still be the same great person. You are a lot more than just a great hair cut. If a girl won't give you the time because she doesn't like your hair, then good riddance. Take it a day at a time. Your life is definitly not over- not unless you give up like a few negative Nancies you'll find on here.

Hey man,

was in the same place in April and decided to shave it. Was one of the scariest things I've ever done, but I'm glad I tried it. I'm only 20 and the girl situation is ridiculous for me as well. I used to get girls but now it's way more difficult. And I believe it's only going to get worse because shitty chain clinics like bosley now have commercials on during the day on CNN so girls are going to be absolutely ignorant to all the problems that comes with this stupid condition and make us feel as if we owe it to the world to fix this.

I'd say before I started losing my hair, I was an average looking guy (8.5/10) and now I feel like I would get no more than a 7. No one wants to feel like a 7/10 especially when you're trying your hardest to look as good as your peers. This condition will have a cure within the next 5 years but I don't know if I can hold off that long on a transplant. It's had such a negative impact on my life, I can't begin to tell you. I think about it first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I just want dreads and a beautiful australian blonde like on Lost...

Do what feels right.

Hey guys. Thanks alot for the answers. Aprecciate it.

Well, the last couple of months, my temples have been getting worse. They allmost reach halfways through my scalp now. And i just would hate to spend my youth worrying about my hair and stuffing myself with expensive medicine. I would absolutely kill to have my full head of nice thick hair, but i just feel its a battle thats impossible to win. But i've attached a picture of my current condition, taken today.
    And im shedding soo much hair. If i run my hand through my hair, i can have up to 4 hairs lying on my hand :s And my doctor said it would take half a year before the medicine would start to work.

And for the girls thing. I've allways felt its alot more about your confidence and attitude. But again it will be damn hard to build the same confidence that i had before, thats right. And at this point, i do think stuff like: "i will never get a girlfriend again" or "maybe ill meet someone when im 40 and balding is normal". But this can't be the truth. Theres is THOUSANDS of bald guys out there with insanely hot girlfriends! There must be.

The pictures taken today:

* Pictures removed for privacy *

I have to say that you still have very good hair. There is no doubt that it’s starting to recede but you have a lot to work with still. I think Propecia is the way to go. You can still buzz your head to see how that works for you, but in the meantime get on Proprcia to see if you can keep what you have.

Here’s my story. Propecia helped me:
    http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=435

But how fast do propecia work? Cause as i said im shedding all over the place. My appartment floor will be stuffed with hair soon.

I'm by no means the propecia expert. I just started it a couple of weeks ago. I actually am taking a generic- proscar, which is covered by insurrance and only costs 10 bucks for a four month supply. It should stabilize your hair loss pretty quick, and optimal regrowth might take a year to take full effect. It is one of two FDA approved medications and is probably the very best option for most men and especially people in your shoes who still have a good amount of hair. There is some negative info about propecia out there. I think a lot of it is BS, but there are some side effects to look out for. You are doing the right thing dealing with this early.

Generic proscar. That is the same as propecia?

But damn. As im sitting here at the laptop, suddenly a hair drops down on the keyboard. Really feel like its too late allthough i still have thick hair. And everytime i loose a hair it just feels like being punched in the stomach. Cant stand it.

One thing i dont get though. I can make hair fall out of my back head too, but not as much though. Is that normal for hair loss?

EDIT:

Can take hair out of the sides too. And im not pulling hard or anything :s