+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb Graft Counts ! Is your Surgeon exaggerating the truth?

Hello All,

Many of my friends have been asking me "so how do you really know your doctor is giving you the amounts of grafts you were quoted "

I didn't have answer for him and if I ask my doctors office I am sure they are going to say of course we give you want you paid for ?

It's not like I can look in the mirror and and count them myself ...

Does anyone have any input on this?

Thanks

The problem with graft counts is that many doctors split grafts. The most honest doctors will give a fee for the procedure without a concern over the actual graft count.

Thanks for replying . So should I specifically ask them are you planning on splitting grafts ? Just dont want to get taken advantage.

Yes. I would go to a doctor who charges a flat fee based on your hair pattern. I used Dr. Yasman in California. This was my second procedure. The first doctor totally ripped me off.

I will look up dr Yasman, I was also looking at dr,s in cali

Charging for sessions vs. charging for grafts or hairs is a less accurate method of knowing what you're paying for. You will be paying the same for your procedure as the next guy after you that may need twice as much hair. Is that really a value that you think is legit? I'm sure the other guy does if he know what you paid.

Paying by the graft is not an exact science either but you're paying for the work to produce the grafts and place them. Better clinics will split some grafts when they are needed to make sure you have enough singles for the hairline because many times there aren't enough singles naturally. In fact, if a clinic tells you they NEVER EVER split grafts then they've got some pluggy hairlines out there.

Better clinics will have a graft count sheet that you can have for your own review after the procedure. Yes, they can be altered, but for a clinic to do that they'd have to really be sketchy as their really is no reason for better clinics to add a few hundred grafts to the graft count just to make a few extra bucks.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

Joe
    That was a nice explanation on the graft counts. No I know grafts will be split if needed for singles. I will inquire with the clinics about there operating procedures.

I appreciate the education since this is all unknown to me....😁

Thanks

Oh I forgot to ask does splitting grafts contribute to transection of the graft ?

Quote Originally Posted by littlerich68 View Post
    Oh I forgot to ask does splitting grafts contribute to transection of the graft ?
    It can, but it depends on the experience of the techs but in better clinics that use microscopes it is a common practice. Understand however that not all clinics use microscopes or even have them. If you are having surgery with an FUE clinic that does or use to perform FUT then they have microscopes and most likely use them for further refinement of the grafts once extracted. If they are an FUE only clinic and never performed FUT or haven't for many years, they might not use them any longer. If they aren't using microscopes then you're asking for a less than ideal hairline result as you're going to have more multiple hair grafts in the frontal hairline than if the grafts were refined.

It is your responsibility as a patient to ask if the grafts are refined using microscopes if you're having FUE.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors