+ Reply to Thread

Default Seborrheic Dermatitis/Psoriasis and Hair Loss

Warning: Incoming wall of text

Hello. I have been experiencing hair loss for a little over 6 months now, all of which I thought was "seasonal" at first and simply shrugged off (big, stupid mistake on my part), and must have lost close or slightly over 40% of my hair's density (thankfully, I had very thick hair). This was not caused by androgenic alopecia, however, but rather, a more severe case of dandruff (seborrhea with a dash of psoriasis). After being told my whole life that these conditions can't contribute to hair loss, I am a living example of the contrary. I also got to the root of my problem when I began tackling it aggressively with tea tree, and even after the first use, my hair loss practically stopped all at once (I was losing close to 100 and more a day, and ever since that time, my hair was not growing back).

I can finally say that I have completely prevented my chronic hair loss, and have successfully treated my yeast problem. Funny enough, I never felt any itching, nor was there any redness at all. No indication whatsoever that it was causing me discomfort, hence why I believe it was a more mild case, and that psoriasis was somewhat involved as well. I have always eaten really well, cut out dairy and wheat products, and drank water because of acne problems in the past, so perhaps that is why there had been virtually no inflammation, but either way, the problem was acute enough that it caused me abundant enough hair loss.

From what I've read, loss from these factors is supposed to be temporary (straight from the American Hair Loss Association: "though all this inflammation is not specifically directed at the hair follicle, if hair follicles are in the vicinity of the inflammatory cells then they can still be adversely affected. Hair follicles find inflamed skin an unhealthy environment in which to grow. Thus seborrheic dermatitis may non-specifically cause diffuse hair loss. This hair loss should be reversible with reduction of the inflammation intensity"), though there are other websites out there claiming it can negatively affect the follicle, or even scar it, if prolonged or just that aggressive. I don't believe mine, even as long as it went on, was anywhere that critical, but because there is such a lack of hard, formulated evidence or even testimonies out there, I have had trouble deciphering the exact cause of hair loss as in relation to these skin issues, as well as the plausibility of hair growing back again, once relieved.

Taken from another article: "If seborrheic dermatitis affects the scalp, the follicles that are affected by the dermatitis will temporarily stop producing hair and result in hair loss or thinning. This can cause hair loss in varying degrees; however, once the condition is treated, the follicles will be able to produce hair again as normal." I'd like to believe this is true, but I'd also like to hear from anyone else who may have suffered like I did, or has some knowledge on the subject, because there is a lot of disinformation these days. It would be great if anyone could help and share their personal stories, or they could vouch more on the subject from what they might know.

Thank you for taking the time to read, and would greatly appreciate to hear back from anyone.

Hi Kingboo. Great to here you have prevented your hairloss getting worse. This post really interests me as I have suffered from dry scalp/dandruff for years but only recently noticed hair loss in the past year or so. I have previously had really thick hair and managed to hide dandruff by going for tge 'wet look' but my hair is so thin now I cant do this anymore. Its really affecting me and making me depressed. I have diffuse thinning. Doctor told me he 'thinks' it is MPB, Trichologist said she suspects it was the start of MPB but also seborrheic eczema. I have tried Nizoral, Vosene, T-GEL and now I am using a hand made all natural ingredients anti dandruff shampoo but nothing has worked. I've now also started taking propecia out of desperation. I shaved my head many years ago and really did not suit it so I don't want to go down that route.

May I ask you how you managed to solve your problem? did you just use tea tree oil and if so was it mixed in with shampoo or just pure oil applied to the scalp?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
    Hi Kingboo. Great to here you have prevented your hairloss getting worse. This post really interests me as I have suffered from dry scalp/dandruff for years but only recently noticed hair loss in the past year or so. I have previously had really thick hair and managed to hide dandruff by going for tge 'wet look' but my hair is so thin now I cant do this anymore. Its really affecting me and making me depressed. I have diffuse thinning. Doctor told me he 'thinks' it is MPB, Trichologist said she suspects it was the start of MPB but also seborrheic eczema. I have tried Nizoral, Vosene, T-GEL and now I am using a hand made all natural ingredients anti dandruff shampoo but nothing has worked. I've now also started taking propecia out of desperation. I shaved my head many years ago and really did not suit it so I don't want to go down that route.

May I ask you how you managed to solve your problem? did you just use tea tree oil and if so was it mixed in with shampoo or just pure oil applied to the scalp?
    Hey there. Just want to say, I know how you must be feeling. It is a very traumatic thing to watch hair slowly fade away, but I do believe in our case, it is both preventable and reversible. Most dermatologists shrug off seborrhea-related hair loss as "an old wive's tale," but that is far from the truth. It sounds like you're undergoing the exact same form of hair loss I went through. What virtually cleared up all of my seborrhea in one go was Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Shampoo & Conditioner, which you can find in beauty salons, although I still was suffering with enlarged plaques of some psoriasis along my crown. Not even 2% Ketoconazole helped with that, so I scheduled an appointment with my dermatologist, and she prescribed me Fluocinonide (also known as Lidex), an upper mid-level strength corticosteroid. It immediately uprooted all of my other underlying problems, and ever since, my scalp has never been clearer. Once the steroid wiped out what remained, I am simply following now with Extra-Strength T-Gel to keep my skin from flaking ever again (coal tar slows down skin cell production).

At the end of the day, it really is a matter of what works best for you, as every person is different, and responds differently to certain treatments. I would recommend a more potent treatment option like I went through, but you'll need to schedule an appoint for a prescription. If the Fluocinonide yet doesn't work, there are even stronger steroids that should do the trick. Clobetasol Propionate is a popular one. Hope all goes well for you, and that you're able to find some relief as I did. Don't give up hope.

(Oh, and diffuse thinning like we both have is not indicative of MBP whatsoever, so I wouldn't dwell on that. Either way, Propecia might help in the long-term, and it wouldn't harm your course of treatment.)

Thank you replying. This is very good information, I will certainly try that Paul Mitchell Shampoo. I am also going to hopefully see another derm in the new year. I always got told the same thing . . this condition doesnt lead to hairloss but its definitely worse in the effected areas. I am willing to try anything now. Thanks again for the information. All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
    Thank you replying. This is very good information, I will certainly try that Paul Mitchell Shampoo. I am also going to hopefully see another derm in the new year. I always got told the same thing . . this condition doesnt lead to hairloss but its definitely worse in the effected areas. I am willing to try anything now. Thanks again for the information. All the best.
    No problem. I'd say that's a good idea. In the meantime, you can experiment with more shampoos, and potentially find one that alleviates your condition. Hopefully I've been of help, then, and if you have any more questions, or need to get anything off your mind, feel free to message me. You can always update on your progress too, as I will hoping that my hair starts growing back, ha ha.