Threaded View

Default Seborrheic Dermatitis/Psoriasis and Hair Loss

Warning: Incoming wall of text

Hello. I have been experiencing hair loss for a little over 6 months now, all of which I thought was "seasonal" at first and simply shrugged off (big, stupid mistake on my part), and must have lost close or slightly over 40% of my hair's density (thankfully, I had very thick hair). This was not caused by androgenic alopecia, however, but rather, a more severe case of dandruff (seborrhea with a dash of psoriasis). After being told my whole life that these conditions can't contribute to hair loss, I am a living example of the contrary. I also got to the root of my problem when I began tackling it aggressively with tea tree, and even after the first use, my hair loss practically stopped all at once (I was losing close to 100 and more a day, and ever since that time, my hair was not growing back).

I can finally say that I have completely prevented my chronic hair loss, and have successfully treated my yeast problem. Funny enough, I never felt any itching, nor was there any redness at all. No indication whatsoever that it was causing me discomfort, hence why I believe it was a more mild case, and that psoriasis was somewhat involved as well. I have always eaten really well, cut out dairy and wheat products, and drank water because of acne problems in the past, so perhaps that is why there had been virtually no inflammation, but either way, the problem was acute enough that it caused me abundant enough hair loss.

From what I've read, loss from these factors is supposed to be temporary (straight from the American Hair Loss Association: "though all this inflammation is not specifically directed at the hair follicle, if hair follicles are in the vicinity of the inflammatory cells then they can still be adversely affected. Hair follicles find inflamed skin an unhealthy environment in which to grow. Thus seborrheic dermatitis may non-specifically cause diffuse hair loss. This hair loss should be reversible with reduction of the inflammation intensity"), though there are other websites out there claiming it can negatively affect the follicle, or even scar it, if prolonged or just that aggressive. I don't believe mine, even as long as it went on, was anywhere that critical, but because there is such a lack of hard, formulated evidence or even testimonies out there, I have had trouble deciphering the exact cause of hair loss as in relation to these skin issues, as well as the plausibility of hair growing back again, once relieved.

Taken from another article: "If seborrheic dermatitis affects the scalp, the follicles that are affected by the dermatitis will temporarily stop producing hair and result in hair loss or thinning. This can cause hair loss in varying degrees; however, once the condition is treated, the follicles will be able to produce hair again as normal." I'd like to believe this is true, but I'd also like to hear from anyone else who may have suffered like I did, or has some knowledge on the subject, because there is a lot of disinformation these days. It would be great if anyone could help and share their personal stories, or they could vouch more on the subject from what they might know.

Thank you for taking the time to read, and would greatly appreciate to hear back from anyone.