Anybody with experience with severe TE please read. I am getting nowhere. - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Anybody with experience with severe TE please read. I am getting nowhere.

I hate to ask somebody to give any sort of medical opinion over the web but I am totally out of options. It seems 99% of even the dermatologist who focus on hair loss have nothing.

I understand TE is much more common in women but rare in men. I have shed ~50-70% of my hair over last 2 years. No other symptoms at all. Noticed hair coming out in shower 2 years ago and shedding has gone on since. Not clumps but high shedding.

Only area seemingly "spared" the shedding is bottom half of head. No hairline recession. Top of scalp seems hardest hit but might of been thinner to start.

I have never seen any "vellus" hair. Hairs appear ( to me) normal. Maybe half an inch in length to a few inches in length (depends on how long or short my hair is cut).

I keep reading my hair will grow back but it is not happening.I can't find any trigger; no medications, no allergy, no hair product. It just is being lost and even if shed rate drops in half I should be total bald within 24 months. I am in my mid-20s.

I have yet to find any man who has had an actual episode of TE recover. Ever. I spoke to many who had it after Accutane. I can find WOMAN who recovered. Zero men. These are men who did not (or have not) developed MPB yet, they just shed their hairs in a TE episode and it either has not stopped or it stopped and nothing grew back.

I need help badly and I am spinning my wheels.

Sorry writing a novel but besides pattern baldness it seems not much is focused on and very little understood. Hoping maybe you have had experience with men with severe TE or can point me in the right direction.

Can't tell anything without photos.

Default Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by BaldBearded View Post
    Can't tell anything without photos.
    Here is me. Gone back it has been 2 years. I went on diet, lost weight, little later saw hairs coming out in shower. Few months later say little thinning (redheads already have much lower hair density than others and I was no exception).

By mid-2016 my hair (this is strange but true) had lost a lot of color. Even though my hair was cut much longer and much thicker I had far less color then than I do NOW.

Shedding never stopped. Been continual. I noticed the sides and back are thinning. There is a sort of thin spot about 3-4 inches beneath my crown (which has remained resilient comparatively).

I have never seen any vellus hairs. My hair is often cut short so hard to tell but I never see hairs shorter than 1/2 inch (which is usually what sides, back and sometimes top are cut at).

I have no bald spots just thinning over 3/4 my scalp. No redness. No itching. No bumps. No other symptoms at all. Just hair sheds. Not in clumps but I noticed the shedding months before the thinning. No hair line recession. I look over and over and lost 60%+ hair on top but I see zero temple recession either. If there is any it is insanely minor. Less than a cm.

I have looked all over in my sheds and scalp for vellus hairs. I have never seen anything. The not knowing is insane.

After I lost 30-40 pounds my diet is to usually eat a slight calorie deficit 3-5 days a week with rest being more normal or slightly above. Weight remained stable this way but I fear this is the problem but still weird. I never had anything close to an extreme diet, I ate varied foods so not like I was missing some key nutrient.

I have no idea. Last 3 months I have upped me eating and dropped off the cardio. While not a COMMON occurrence there were certainly days were maybe I eat 1700-2000 calories but would run 4-8 miles and then go on 1-3 hour walks (I love to walk). Being a 6'2'' man those few days my calorie burned was over 3000 so even though not eating super low I might be at a 750-1000+ calorie deficit for that one day. I feel this might of caused the problem.

I have now written a small book.

I suggest seeing a doctor.

First, ditch the flash on your camera. It gives a false image of what your hair looks like in reality.

Second, you won't find many vellus hairs mixed in with the hairs that have shed because vellus hairs are either growing and miniaturized or are new hairs coming into the anagen phase after already shedding after the catagen phase.

And finally, what you're dealing with might be DUPA, or "diffused unpatterned alopecia" which may or may not be a DHT thing.
    https://www.hairtransplantmentor.com...alopecia-dupa/

If it were me, I'd find an IAHRS member doctor in my area and get another opinion. Then, unless told otherwise by a doctor (of which I am not one), I'd look seriously at DHT inhibitors such as Propecia (or Proscar 5mg quartered) and see how that affects the issue over the course of the next six months. If your shedding is reduced or stopped, then you've got a handle on it and can consider how to move forward. If not, then consider adding oral or topical minox to the mix and give that six months, etc. Note that the six month reference is what I feel is the minimum amount of time needed to see if a real change has occurred with regards to your shedding. It can take longer to know if you're got any regrowth.

You've also got various PRP options to consider if you want to avoid medications.

Non-medical options include adding laser therapy but in your case you'd need a solution that addresses all of your scalp, not just the top.

Finally, on the nutrition side, you might want to experiment with sugar reduction and I don't just mean table sugar. I'm talking high fructose corn syrup, sugars found in your sauces and packaged foods in general. To get more serious, find a local supplier of organic meats (if your regular grocer doesn't carry any) and stick to organic green vegetables and reduce your carb input as well. My hair, once I did this, got shinier and healthier after about two or three months and seemed fuller, even my transplanted hair, which is 99% of all the hair in my entire NW6 pattern. Also consider adding tumeric, as a natural anti-inflammatory in case you have some sort of internal inflammation going on.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors