Just got a buzzcut, is my - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Just got a buzzcut, is my scalp showing too much?

So i just got a buzzcut. Is my scalp showing too much? I don't know if i'm diffuse thinning. I'm 29 and i started to suspect i may be balding when i was 21. My hair has been like this for a long time. Both of my grandparents have great hair. My father is a diffuse thinner since like his late 40's.

I made an album with a few pictures inside. The first one is with my new buzzcut. The others are with various hairstyles, medium, messy etc. I don't normally buzz it this short, but i really wanted to get a clearer view of my scalp area. I'm interested in what you guys think.

https://i.imgur.com/heVb45i.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/D14eYdi.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/Xp5TGw6.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/IJ9obkG.jpg

Your hair looks thick when longer, but seems to look thinner the shorter you go. The buzz cut does show diffuse thinning. Are all of these photos taken within a short space of time?
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thank you for replying. First 2 pics are brand new. Last two pictures are almost a year old (messy hair is from december last year, the other is from march this year). I also have a thyroid condition, i'm hypothyroid due to my thyroid removal. I am also dealing with a lot of anxiety (unrelated to possible balding).

I never really noticed massive hair sheds. Maybe a few hairs in the shower. When i go through my scalp with my hand i will maybe get 1 hair if even that. I was thinking if i'm maybe going through some form of slow diffuse thinning? It's weird, i thought balding would progress a bit faster.

I'm thinking then that as your hairloss has been slow to progress, you must still have enough hair for it to look as thick as it does in the last two photos. The camera flash will show more scalp with the buzz cut and make your hair look thinner than it would do under normal daily lighting conditions.

Consider yourself lucky that your hairloss has been so slow! Your thyroid issue doesn't seem to have made the loss more aggressive, so I doubt if it is having any impact on your hair at all.

You can probably find a 'sweet spot' with your hair length where it looks neat but is long enough to hide the thinning. That's assuming that you feel the need to hide it.

It is really weird. Even with buzz cut on some angles it looks ok, on others pretty bad. That's why i wasn't too sure if i was balding. When my hair grows a bit longer i don't even have to try to conceal it, it looks great. I would be perfectly happy if i had this for the rest of my life.

Do you think getting on finasteride would be worth it? Are side effects really as bad as some users make it look?

The side effects are more common than the standard medical literature states, but not as severe or widespread as you'd think going by the online reports. There must be a huge number of people using the drug and the majority are probably free from side effects. Those who do have bad experiences tend to speak out about them.

So it's worth a try, but with your slow progression and ability to conceal the thinning, I don't think you should see it as an urgent need.

Nice. Thanks again. I will research about finasteride for possible future usage.

buzz looks good. just own it and embrace the style

thinning hair grown long exaggerates a problem to me and looks unhealthy.

Best to you buddy.

Your hair looks very healthy at all your pics...i think is normal to see the scalp with a buzz cut. You will got hair for many years...enjoy!!

Quote Originally Posted by chriswalker View Post
    buzz looks good. just own it and embrace the style

thinning hair grown long exaggerates a problem to me and looks unhealthy.

Best to you buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TUP2020 View Post
    Your hair looks very healthy at all your pics...i think is normal to see the scalp with a buzz cut. You will got hair for many years...enjoy!!
    Thanks both of you for the kind comments. I wish you happy holidays and best of luck with your hair and life goals .

When i got really short haircut i thought it didn't look good for the first few days because i don't have chiseled jawline. Now when i got used to it, i think it actually looks pretty good. Next time maybe i'll get the no guard haircut to see how it looks.

I tried looking into fin, it's pretty expensive where i live and impossible to get prescription :/