+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default A bit concerned about Propecia..

Hey guys, wondering if I could ask my advice.

I'm 22 years old and started propecia about 2 weeks ago, after getting it online, i.e. without a proper doctors prescription. This is mainly because the only doctor within a reasonable distance was really against Propecia, saying that there's little reason to believe it actually does anything etc etc (he hardly knew anything about it). Now, first of all I was wondering whether there's any procedures taken when having Propecia prescribed normally - such as testicular health or something like that? I ask firstly because I read that the use of Propecia can make testicular cancer hard to detect.

I ask secondly because, as of 2 days ago, I've been noticing a slight pain or at least 'swelling' feeling in my testicles. Now, I doubt whether this is linked to the above, but nonetheless I've read up that testicular pain is one of the possible side effects of propecia, and am concerned about what I should do about it? On the one hand, I know I should go see the doctor - tell him I've started taking Propecia regardless of what he said. At the same time, I'm concerned he'll simply be like: 'i told you so', and convince me to come off it. Seeing as the latter option would mean the end of all hope, I'm really undecided about what to do - I mean the pain isn't bad or anything, it just comes and goes in flashes; maybe it will pass as I've read it did for others that had the same problem.

Also, one last question. I've started taking propecia having only realised I have MPB 3 months ago - since Ive realised, my temple area has copped a beating though, and I don't think it'll be long before I can't cover it up any longer (its already a matter of having to do my hair a certain way). I was wondering however, if propecia starts working in say, 2-3 months (in a preventative sense), do I have a decent chance of also regaining some of that hair (seeing as the follicles should technically still be alive?)

Any help would be so much appreciated, please take your time to give me some advice!

cheers.

Here's my two cents, I'm basically in the same situation as you life. I'm 25 and my hair probably started thinning 2 years ago and hairline started receding maybe a year ago. I had read that Propecia can do amazing things for us younger guys so i decided to go for it too. Two Months in and i haven't lost anything from what i can see. Not sure what to expect in the long run either but i don't expect losing much. The 5 year study of propecia did show that at the 2 year mark it does lose effectivness though, like we'd most likely start losing what we currently have at that mark..
    Anyway no matter how suttle if your getting pains even in the begining weeks you gotta address it and tell somebody who can diagnose you. If your sure it's not just anxiety or something which I had when starting too then consult a physician, says right on the sight. Take care man

I'm 24 and started taking Propecia about a month ago. I had slight testicular pain like you for probably about the first week or so until it died out. I occasionally feel some sensation going on down there, but it's not exactly what I'd classify as pain. My guess is it's the Propecia going to work on the 5-alpha reductase where it's produced in the seminal vesicles and prostate, and it'd probably explain why a lot of users get watery semen. I'm no doctor so don't quote me on this, but I think that's a pretty reasonable explanation.

From what I've learned in researching Propecia, I'd suggest that you continue to take it for another week or so and see if it gets any worse. If it does, I'd consider lowering the dose or consulting with a doctor as the pamphlet says.

I don't know where you managed to find Propecia online without a prescription, but with all the possible sides and your hair being at stake, I wouldn't trust anything but the official product unless money's a real issue or there really aren't any other doctors in your area.

Hey why, thanks for the help - seems like a good enough theory; also, today things seem to be ok. Anyway, I did manage to get the real propecia online without a proper prescription (quite expensive though) - im not sure if you can get it like this in the US but in the UK it's not hard.

All the same, as soon as I move from my current location i'll try to get a proper prescription.

CND23... are you saying that after 2 years Propecia stops being effective full stop? or that the first 'wave' of hair that its holding in place will probably start to go, leaving Propecia to only be effective on the 'next wave'??

Cheers guys.

also, one last thing. For the past couple of weeks (not sure if it was just before or after starting propecia) I've been shedding like a bitch. Up until this point, in my observations of my hairloss it has consisted of losing about 5-10 hairs in the shower, a few on the pillow, and then maybe 5-10 during the day (as far as i've been able to see) - before the last fortnight, my hair was, cosmetically speaking, fine.

However, now I'm in trouble. Everytime I have a shower, I'm finding about 5 hairs on my hands everytime I run my hands through my hair until the shampoo is well and truly all washed out. When I don't wash my hair, however, I don't seem to lose as much. I'm currently using Revita shampoo - is there any chance this is somehow causing the hairs to fall out a bit quicker than usual? or could it have something to do with propecia? or is this just the DHT, and am I simply ****ed if Propecia doesn't start to work soon?

Cheers guys

Hey life, i didn't mean to give that impression. From what i interpreted from the 5 year study is that after 2 years on propecia it slowly losses effectiveness, not completely. Due to tolerence or just genetics doing what's inevitable i don't remember. I'm pretty sure it just means the drug won't have the same effect on your current hair state at the 2 year mark, most likely start losing hair count slowly.. Lookup the 'Propecia 5 year study' You'll get a better idea.
    BTW don't sweat those hairs you find laying around, you'll go mad. I buzz my head and with hair this short you coulden't find one if you tried. =)

Haha that may be so, but the whole point of this ordeal is that I don't want to have my hair THAT short... not entirely sure how it'd look on me, but I've got a bad feeling.. I was thinking I should slightly cut my hair every day before my shower, so I don't know why ones are falling out .. ignorance is bliss so long as it can be maintained

I've had a dull pain in the boys all day. Not really reassuring. I told myself that if I experienced any side effects I would stop. Would I be jumping the gun if I pulled the plug? Maybe skip days? I don't want to make this more complicated than it needs to be. Any advice?

well mine pretty much went away after a few days.. I do like the theory that its just finasteride doing its stuff.

Default This is where I meant to post

So rather than start a new thread, I think I'll just post here. I decided this morning that I am stopping the finasteride. I've only been on it for about three weeks. The dull ache in my testicals went away, but I really can't deal with the reduced feeling and loss of erections. The only time I get a hard on now is if I physically stimulate myself or (thankfully) my wife gives me any physical attention. I woke up this morning having to urinate bad. Normally when this happens, it is always accompanied by the morning wood (eg scene from 40 Year Old Virgin). Not this morning. My junk was flacid and completely asleep.

Now I know that this could subside, and I am passing on getting some great results from taking the Finasteride. I'm really more bothered by the thoughts of messing up my sex life more than I ever was worried about hair loss. In my personal potential cost/benefit analysis, the numbers do not add up. I am hoping that all goes back to normal in a few days. I'm actually really lucky in that I like the way I look with the buzzed head. My wife said that I would look fine if I even bic'd it. I'm happily married and my sex life and my libido is way more important to me than keeping my hair. That's my choice. I don't want to scare anyone else out of giving finasteride a try. I'm just too uneasy riding out these "normal" side effects and hoping they subside.