+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

ManeMan

Thanks for posting back. It sounds like you and I are in a very similar situation. I'm still on the fence but you seem like a very level headed person who gave an honest assesment and actually posted back after starting fin. I'm still considering it although I doubt I could physically or metally handle the drug. I feel like if I don't try it then I would never know for sure. But I like you would bail at the first sign of sides. I was thinking of trying .5mg maybe every other day. What was your dosage?

No problem. I think that if people share info here, it can really help out others. As you probably know, Propecia is 1 mg of finasteride. I got prescribed Proscar, which is 5 mg finasteride. My dermatoloigist said to buy a pill cutter and just cut it into quarters. So that makes my dose approximately 1.25 mg daily.

I am bailing at the first sign of sides. Maybe I read into the "propecia help" stuff a little too much, but the sides are concerning to any man. Even the legitimate information spells it out in black and white. Side effects may include increased difficulty achieving an erection... yeah, I'll just stop right there with that one. That's enough for me. I was reassured with the low percentages of people experiencing these sides- something like 1%. If I wasn't experiencing any sides, I would be continuing to take my dose. But I truely feel like my dick is taking a vacation. It's like a twisted version of that movie The Changling- This is not my penis! Ok maybe not that dramatic, but when something feels off down there,the alarms get sounded real quick.

Like I said before, by stopping taking Finasteride, I'm pretty much giving up on keeping my hair and definitely giving up on regrowing any. Part of me really wants to stay with it. It has netted some great results for a lot of people. I wish this was an easier decision for me. It's tough. The bottom line is that I'm getting all worked up and worried over the sides, whereas I was pretty accepting of my hair loss all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Mane Man View Post
    No problem. I think that if people share info here, it can really help out others. As you probably know, Propecia is 1 mg of finasteride. I got prescribed Proscar, which is 5 mg finasteride. My dermatoloigist said to buy a pill cutter and just cut it into quarters. So that makes my dose approximately 1.25 mg daily.

I am bailing at the first sign of sides. Maybe I read into the "propecia help" stuff a little too much, but the sides are concerning to any man. Even the legitimate information spells it out in black and white. Side effects may include increased difficulty achieving an erection... yeah, I'll just stop right there with that one. That's enough for me. I was reassured with the low percentages of people experiencing these sides- something like 1%. If I wasn't experiencing any sides, I would be continuing to take my dose. But I truely feel like my dick is taking a vacation. It's like a twisted version of that movie The Changling- This is not my penis! Ok maybe not that dramatic, but when something feels off down there,the alarms get sounded real quick.

Like I said before, by stopping taking Finasteride, I'm pretty much giving up on keeping my hair and definitely giving up on regrowing any. Part of me really wants to stay with it. It has netted some great results for a lot of people. I wish this was an easier decision for me. It's tough. The bottom line is that I'm getting all worked up and worried over the sides, whereas I was pretty accepting of my hair loss all along.
    I was in the same boat. Given I only took it for a week or so. The side effects warnings just got to me, I mean, I felt a slightly "cold" sensation in my dick, never felt pain... but that was enough for me. If I felt ANYTHING I was going to drop the stuff.

I realize people say they're fine on it, and it's less than 2% but regardless it never sat right for me. Messing with hormones just isn't something we should do unless we're certain about what's going on. We know for a fact when it comes to Propecia we know how it works - yes - but we don't know FOR CERTAIN why and whats going on. Yes, it blocks receptors... the 5 alpha reductase... but we don't know with 100% exactly all the functions of this receptor. A lot of the side effects make sense for it - and a lot of the things people complain about make sense when you read more and more about this receptor... do some research. We're learning more and more as time passes... and it just doesn't seem 100% healthy to me. Not even for the libido loss... but depression and even more on top of that. It's not worth it.

Some people take it and feel nothing, I've read a lot of reports where people felt nothing until going OFF it. Their system tries to return to what it was and THAT'S when the problems arrive. Now I don't know how and why this happens this way, but I just wouldn't risk it myself.

I know Spencer and many others see amazing results and no sides with it and giving it up before knowing for sure kinda sucks... but really Propecia could be just like any other drug. No one knows what their allergic to right away. People do cocaine a lot and are fine... and some do cocaine just once and die. No one knows why one person is different from the other. Propecia seems this way to me - like playing russian roulette... maybe the odds aren't bad at all but regardless sometimes the bullet is there.

For me, I overlooked Rogaine. I didn't try it for years because it didn't "work on the hairline." After giving up Propecia I had no other choice. I read there was anecdotal evidence it works on the hairline. I tried the foam and lo and behold... my hairline is nearly replenished. It's still thin in the front temples but it's not thin to the point where it's obvious. If I can hold onto this for a little bit longer my hope is that Histogen or Trichoscience or some company such as these... the ones racing for the "cure" will actually produce something amazing. I mean, we have all these groups working towards something that can be real. All these new advances in medical science... I have my fingers crossed... I believe it will happen... and curing baldness will make someone RICH beyond their dreams. I mean, this is going to be huge if it happens. I don't think being this close these companies will give up.

I was at a crossroad... do I use Propecia... and risk losing my dick for a few years of hair before this cure... you just hope Minox works and maybe the cure does and I keep my dick. God knows whatever else... depression etc. I decided if the cure doesn't come out, I'm screwed anyhow... might as well forgo collateral damage.

I'm sticking with the Rogaine... when it stops working and wears off... if the cure isn't there... I'll just shave my head. I don't want to be bald but like you having hair and possibly risking depression/libido/sex isn't worth it. Especially if you've ever suffered from any sort of depression big or small. I had a small bout at one point and no way in hell do I ever want to go near that again.

Thanks Phatalis. I left it out, but I was also concerned about brain fog and depression. I've got some other stuff going on at this point of my life (not related to any of this) that makes hair loss a minor nuissance in comparrison. The last thing I need right now is to feed any feelings of depression. I'm doing a lot better now. Thanks for the rogaine tip. I'm taking a vacation from hair loss treatments and will maybe check out other options later on.

I also don't like taking these drugs... I don't think it's good at all. But my hair is just too important not to take the drug at this point. My plans are to take it for 3-5 years until I can get whatever histogen throws our way...

For anyone not taking propecia you should at least try a topical anti androgen or something that helps.

My regimen is definitely working for me and I am so, so grateful for it. It is no miracle but it is slightly improving. It will look good/decent when I grow it out again and I will be happy. If I never started my regimen...god knows how bad my hair would have looked by now! Would have been terrible. I am glad I started.

Right now I don't have a choice. I don't think these drugs are good for mental health at all. But really... When I look in the mirror and I'm getting balder every day...that will just completely destroy me mentally anyway.

So I just wanted to give a quick update since stopping the finasteride after experiencing some concerning side effects. It actually took a few solid days but things are getting back to normal. I'm glad I gave it a try, but I'm not messing with my hormones again, and I wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends. I confided with a close friend what went on, and he couldn't believe I put my sexual health on the line for hair. I explained to him why I went for it, and that it is supposed to be a safe drug, FDA approved etc. It was nice getting a different prospective. I think some guys on this site would give up a lot for hair. I get it, but I don't think normal sexual function should be a price.

So, in the last 2 weeks my balls have been fine, but in the last day or two they've gone swollen again and mildly sore at times.. I can handle it, for sure, I just want to know if its something long-term to be concerned about. Gonna have to go to the doctors I guess, but I have no doubt he'll try to get me off propecia.

Keep us updated if the doc pulls you off propecia.

Ah, it went away again after a day, so I'll just wait until I can get a new, less biased doctor. Have to say, the fact that its doing something to my balls and making me shed you wouldn't normally think is much cause for optimism, but at least I know its doing something!

Smile

So another quick update: My last update in all honesty was a bit of a fib. I was feeling better, but still wasn't 100% and was definitely concerned. I'm not sure how powerful a placebo effect can be, so I tried to stay as positive as possible. I didn't want to even admit to having lingering effects during my last post. Specifically, my lingering effects were loss of morning erections, an inability to get an erection from sexual related thoughts, difficulty sustaining a full erection.

Now the good news. Since going cold turkey, I feel that I am back to 100% with all of the lingering effects above going away. I'm really happy that I am back to my old self and really don't see myself coming on here much for me, but might check in to see how some of you are doing. It sucks losing hair, but there are so many other things a man can offer the world beyond a great head of hair. Good luck to everyone here on your quest to happiness and self acceptance.