X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlexinToronto
    • May 2010

1st HT on Wednesday (June 3) with Dr. Rahal

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I've read a number of posts and actually learned about Dr. Rahal a year ago here. I decided to go with him because he seems to be among the best, most affordable and the closest to me (I live in Toronto and he's in Ottawa).

To make a long story short: I'm 26 years old, diffuse thinning and have more or less come to terms with my hairloss (must admit that concealers have certainly helped me come to grips). I used minoxidil for a while with minimal results and stopped. Also tried Proscar but had terrible side effects (became depressed and felt detached/slow).

Getting a HT was pretty much not an option until I started working a decent job a few years ago and saving up. When I realized that it was something I could consider, I booked a consultation with Dr. Rahal and the rest is history.

So far, I feel pretty composed overall. I thought I'd be a basket case at this point but I'm alright. I do have one serious concern though... And would appreciate any advice out there:

What should I tell everyone post-op? I've decided that I don't want people to know I've had a HT. With my diffuse thinning and the concealers, I think the transition may be smooth enough to get away with it. My best friends cousin got a hair transplant and is relatively open about it, but as a result it's the type of thing that people are constantly whispering about. Not a big deal, but would rather not carry that around with me for the foreseeable future...

For those of you who have had this done and decided not to disclose, what did you tell people during the first 2 months post-op?

Any advice is appreciated... Thanks,
    Alex
  • thejack
    • Dec 2009

There isn't any excuse that I can think of that would deceive people. Get as much time off work as possible and hibernate

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
      IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
      • Nov 2008

What line of work are you in? Sometimes people can talk to their employer and tell them that they had something removed from the scalp and the doctor has recommended keeping it covered (baseballl cap) for 1-2 weeks. You can still use the concealers while at work if necessary. I would wash off each night after work.
      Dr. Glenn Charles
      Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
      View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• AlexinToronto
        • May 2010

Thanks for the feedback.

Dr. Glenn, I work in sales (real estate). Assuming I'm feeling alright in about a week and the swelling is down, I can get back to work with a hat. I hope to have enough growth in a month or so to start using Toppik (usually use dermatch but Toppik would probably be wiser in recipient area without the rubbing).

I've decided to tell people that I had a Trichilemma cyst removed (benign cyst in scalp). As a result, I had to have my hair shaved down and there are stitches I'd rather cover with the hat.... I hate lying to everyone but I don't see any other realistic way of handling this.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Dr. Rahal? I've read a lot of posts but many are from 2006/2007 (all very positive). Any more recent experiences?

Comment

• gmonasco
          Inactive
          • Apr 2010

I've decided to tell people that I had a Trichilemma cyst removed (benign cyst in scalp). I hate lying to everyone but I don't see any other realistic way of handling this.
          Why not simply say, "I had surgery on my head"? If any co-workers press for details, just tell them, "I'd rather not talk about it now." That way you needn't engage in any lies.

Comment

• CIT_Girl
            • Mar 2010

Good luck with your transplant tomorrow! I say just be vague with any explanation- most people will be too polite to pry and this way you don't have to lie.

Comment

• gillenator
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by gmonasco
              Why not simply say, "I had surgery on my head"? If any co-workers press for details, just tell them, "I'd rather not talk about it now." That way you needn't engage in any lies.

I agree. You can still tell the truth without getting into details. Look people directly in the eye when conversing and chances are they will leave the subject alone.
              "Gillenator"
              Independent Patient Advocate
              more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

• gillenator
                • Dec 2008

Oh, forgot to mention, best wishes on your procedure!
                "Gillenator"
                more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

• Plum
                  • Jan 2009

Congratulations on your decision to go with Dr. Rahal. I had a procedure done by him a couple of years ago.

I have found the approach of saying "I had surgery" and "I'd rather not get into detail" works very well. In my experience, people know better than to probe further for the most part and are quite respectful of one's privacy. Of course, it depends on the type of people who you work with too.

Good luck with your surgery! You are in great hands! And be sure to share how your experience went.

Comment

• AlexinToronto
                    • May 2010

Thank you for all your replies. How did your HT go with Dr. Rahal, Plum? Are you happy with the results?

I'm a couple days post-op now. All things considered, I don't think the process could've gone much better. Of course I can't speak to the actual results (will post those in 4 - 6 months) but the procedure was smooth and I was very impressed. Dr. Rahal and I met in his office. We discussed my hair in detail. I was starting to feel incredibly anxious as I knew it was only a matter of minutes before I would enter the operating room and have the graphs removed (by far, the most unnerving part of the process for me).

When I did go into the operating room, I was given an "anti-anxiety" shot (sort of like a stronger version of valium) and it quickly put me at ease. I can hardly even recall that moment up until about two hours later, when I was sitting in another operating room with the technicians planting the graphs into the recipient area. The donor removal process followed by Dr. Rahal creating my new recipient area (with the tiny incisions) is all a blur at this point.

The whole process took about 6 or 7 hours and I had just over 2600 graphs planted. It was pouring rain when we finished so Dr. Rahal drove me to my B&B (few blocks away).

Regarding my "story", I hate to lie, but I just can't have this sort of thing lingering forever. I've been telling people that I had a "Pilar Cyst" removed. It's a benign cyst that is removed from the scalp. In most cases, I don't need to say more than "had to undergo a very minor operation and will be wearing a hat for a few months". This is the sort of thing that people will quickly forget about and that will be that...

Comment

• Plum
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by AlexinToronto
                      Thank you for all your replies. How did your HT go with Dr. Rahal, Plum? Are you happy with the results?
                      Hey there Alex,

Yes, I was happy with the result of my first procedure.

Call it "hair greed" though, but I had a second procedure to increase the density and change the shape of my hairline a bit to give it a more irregular appearance; a small widow's peak was added, the fronto-temporal areas were brought down a tiny bit and the existing transplanted area was reinforced.

My second surgery was not done by Dr. Rahal, but that was not because he isn't an outstanding physician. It was moreso because the doctor I did choose for the second did not require shaving. Again, this isn't to say that Dr. Rahal doesn't do fabulous work; my first surgery could have been a stand-alone procedure for sure, but I wanted to refine it without having to go through the shaved hair recovery process which is very difficult, particularly as a female.

Good luck in your recovery and let us know how you are doing!

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
                        IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
                        • Nov 2008

A cyst removal. That should do the trick. Hopefully your co-workers have something else to do besides worrying about whats going on underneath your cap. Before you know it things will get back to normal and you will have more hair. I hope everything works out well for you.
                        Dr. Glenn Charles
                        Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
                        View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• gillenator
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Plum
                          Hey there Alex,

Yes, I was happy with the result of my first procedure.

Call it "hair greed" though, but I had a second procedure to increase the density and change the shape of my hairline a bit to give it a more irregular appearance; a small widow's peak was added, the fronto-temporal areas were brought down a tiny bit and the existing transplanted area was reinforced.

My second surgery was not done by Dr. Rahal, but that was not because he isn't an outstanding physician. It was moreso because the doctor I did choose for the second did not require shaving. Again, this isn't to say that Dr. Rahal doesn't do fabulous work; my first surgery could have been a stand-alone procedure for sure, but I wanted to refine it without having to go through the shaved hair recovery process which is very difficult, particularly as a female.

Good luck in your recovery and let us know how you are doing!
                          Plum,

Who did your second procedure unshaven?

It would be unjust to accuse a female of hair greed.
                          "Gillenator"
                          more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

• Plum
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by gillenator
                            Plum,

Who did your second procedure unshaven?

It would be unjust to accuse a female of hair greed.
                            Hi Gillenator,

I don't want to hijack this thread, but Dr. Simmons did my second procedure and he does not require shaving the recipient area.

Comment

• gillenator
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Plum
                              Hi Gillenator,

I don't want to hijack this thread, but Dr. Simmons did my second procedure and he does not require shaving the recipient area.
                              Best wishes to you on the final result!
                              "Gillenator"
                              more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

Working...