Thread: A thought...

Threaded View

Default A thought...

Hi Guys, I've had a thought, probably as dumb as, but everyone seems friendly on here, so I thought I'd toss it out there.

I read a book recently about longitude, and a thing called 'the longitude prize'. It was a pot of cash used as an incentive for anyone who solved the particular problem of determining a ship's longitude. It got me thinking; couldn't we do a similar thing with baldness? If we all put some money in, even a little, it'd quickly grow, and I'm sure there's a few rich guys out there who might anoymously donate (John Travolta and Nicolas Cage, I'm looking in your direction).

Spencer Kobren would be my pick for the person to administer it and keep it honest, and we could come up with a series of criteria that have to be met before the prize is awarded. I know there are already financial incentives for a baldness cure, but a cash prize might encourage students and scientists in need of grants to look into it, as well as major corporations. They all love a challenge.

I know that there is already a similar prize for life extension.

Also, this doesn't have anything to do with anything beyond being a good cause, if you sign up for and download world community grid, it uses your computer's idle cpu power to crunch numbers and help find treatments for cancer and aids and various other worthy things. I'm a bit of an evangelist for it. It doesn't slow your computer at all. Will it help cure baldness? Probably not. But it won't hurt either.

Anyway, just a thought. Thanks.